CrazyBoards.org

Does anyone else have eye problems?

Hey, y'all! I'm experiencing some weird visual problems where my vision feels...off. My vision feels very weird , like when you're watching a soap opera and the camera quality is off and the picture looks funky. Or it looks like it's under an Instagram filter or like I'm in a dream sequence. I also have pretty bad light sensitivity and wear prescription sunglasses during the day, inside and outside. I am not sure if this visual weirdness/possible dissociation is being caused by my illness (Bipolar 1 with psychotic features) or my medications, Lamictal and Invega.

I got a new prescription back in March. I mentioned my eye problems to the assistant at the optical store two months ago and she said it's unlikely that my prescription changed in just a couple months. My regular glasses and sunglasses are the exact same prescription but the sunglasses feel a lot better to wear and I don't feel the visual weirdness with them on.

I read my journal from last year and I wrote about my vision feeling off back in September 2017, when I was depressed (I'm still depressed). My vision started to change right after my first manic/psychotic episode last April because I remember noticing it last May. I was on different meds in May of 2017 then I am now, making me think it's my illness causing these eye problems.

Do other people have eye problems with their Bipolar illness? At this point, I've accepted that I'm going to be that guy wearing sunglasses inside because I don't know how to treat these eye issues until I ask my psychiatrist about when I see him in two weeks. Eye give up. 

My meds cause my eyes to stay so dilated that at my last visit to the optometrist, she didn't have to use the drops to examine my retinas.  I wear extra dark sunglasses outside and keep most of the lights in my place turned off unless I have visitors.  Also, my eyes tire relatively quickly given the amount of light they are subject to.  Try changing the screen settings on you computer so you are not being blasted with eye straining light.

I've had both blurred vision and dry eye syndrome problems for the last 2 years. There are a number of factors though: age, meds, and I'm looking at a mobile phone or computer screen all day. Always had perfect vision until 2 years ago, went to the doc, needed both glasses and daily eye drop prescriptions to take.

• Like 1

Definitely go to the eye doc.  I've had glaucoma for 2 years now.  I don't turn 35 till next year.  Nothing to mess around with.  I have sensitivity to light really bad, if I miss a couple days of putting my rx eye drops my pupils get huge. 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2018 at 11:12 AM, notloki said:

You should see an eye doctor ASAP.

I agree.......Your vision is something you shouldn't take a risk with.

10 hours ago, alen said:

Thanks for the input everyone! I’m meeting with my physician this week in the hopes of a referral to an ophthalmologist. :) 

That's good to hear.....Hope it's nothing serious going on...

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1