CrazyBoards.org

Persona_Is_Life

Rapid heartbeat from stress.

Hello. 

Since my Dad had his stroke and is now mostly disabled, my sister is stuck in the worst of her myriad of health problems, I started school and am the only one in the family capable of working my stress is high. Really high. 

My heart rate has been over 100 almost consistently. My resting rate used to be in between the 60s and 70s. Now it's in the 80s to high 80s. It's jumped quite a bit. 

I can't take beta blockers because I have low blood pressure. I asked the pharmacist for advice and she suggested a "standing" order of the Klonopin I take instead of as needed. Does it help any of you? Is she correct? I don't know if my psych would go for it. I don't want the long term effects of regular benzo use either. 

It really worries me. Now my "usual" is from 100-120 and today it jumped to 165. I was freaking out. Also, the "as needed" dose of Klonopin doesn't work either. One time I accidentally took two (being overly exhausted from not sleeping) thinking it was Folic Acid (both yellow) and it did it's job. 

Thanks. 

• Like 1

Take more klonopin. When I had a serious infection that almost killed me my pdoc had me on as much as 6 mg/day for stress and therefor heart rate. I was up in the 150-160's bpm and, like you, was on as much propranolol as I could stand. I think you should speak to your doctor today about this. 

Edited by notloki

On 10/5/2018 at 1:24 PM, notloki said:

Take more klonopin. When I had a serious infection that almost killed me my pdoc had me on as much as 6 mg/day for stress and therefor heart rate. I was up in the 150-160's bpm and, like you, was on as much propranolol as I could stand. I think you should speak to your doctor today about this. 

The place I go to is very busy. I doubt I would get to talk to her today or anytime soon. I have an appointment at the end of the month. 

I don't know if she would go for it, but this has to stop. I'm too young to be having cardiac issues. I hope it does help. If not then what? I've got so much shit going on. 

Thanks for your input. It is appreciated. 

I'd ask the dr about upping the klonz dose. It sounds like the dose you're prescribed just doesn't work, and that's ok, everyone is different. Most doctors will work with you.

In regards to the beta blocker thing. Even those aren't 100% a solution if you could take them. It weakens the heart overtime so hard to come off of. If your sinus tachycardia is associated with a real heart problem it won't cover that up. It may slow things down but you will feel when the brakes are applied. In other words you will still feel the heart stress as angina pain. If it's episodic best to stay with a drug that is administered that way than an all day-tappering thing.

On 5/15/2019 at 7:13 PM, hypoElectron said:

It weakens the heart overtime so hard to come off of.

I've taken beta blockers and have never heard this. Millions take them. I seriously doubt they weaken the heart. Could you quote a source ? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, notloki said:

I've taken beta blockers and have never heard this. Millions take them. I seriously doubt they weaken the heart. Could you quote a source ? 

This source says that beta blockers may actually help protect and strengthen the heart:

https://www.heartandstroke.ca/heart/treatments/medications/beta-blockers

Quote from the article:

" If your heart has been weakened, may protect it and help it get stronger"

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Thanks 1