CrazyBoards.org

In defense of my HMO dragging their feet on filling Clonazepam (can take up to two weeks to mail it out to me), my psych doc upped my dosage so I can stockpile them until I get my order delivered. 

The minute he increased the dose, my HMO pharmacist had him on the phone berating him for increasing the dose.  The dose is now for 60 tablets in one month which I don't think is too high, that's 60 tablets of .5mg. He was pissed he got that phone call. Anything my HMO can do to screw up my mood medications, they will. 

My HMO restricted the frequency of refills to once every 30 days, so I can now longer get a 30/60/90 day supply anymore.  So, to combat this, my psych doc increased the number of pills per prescription to prevent me from going thru withdrawals, which I have been going thru once a month.  I have to say benzo withdrawals are wicked. 

I have to write up the mailorder pharmacy once a month for all their "delays" and misplacing my psych prescriptions, which I am sure at this point is on purpose.  Medicare is partly to blame due to the opioid crisis.  

I appreciate my psych doc and all he puts up with, with my HMO.  I am trying to get away from my HMO during open enrollment. 

10 minutes ago, Dewey said:

In defense of my HMO dragging their feet on filling Clonazepam (can take up to two weeks to mail it out to me), my psych doc upped my dosage so I can stockpile them until I get my order delivered. 

The minute he increased the dose, my HMO pharmacist had him on the phone berating him for increasing the dose.  The dose is now for 60 tablets in one month which I don't think is too high, that's 60 tablets of .5mg. He was pissed he got that phone call. Anything my HMO can do to screw up my mood medications, they will. 

My HMO restricted the frequency of refills to once every 30 days, so I can now longer get a 30/60/90 day supply anymore.  So, to combat this, my psych doc increased the number of pills per prescription to prevent me from going thru withdrawals, which I have been going thru once a month.  I have to say benzo withdrawals are wicked. 

I have to write up the mailorder pharmacy once a month for all their "delays" and misplacing my psych prescriptions, which I am sure at this point is on purpose.  Medicare is partly to blame due to the opioid crisis.  

I appreciate my psych doc and all he puts up with, with my HMO.  I am trying to get away from my HMO during open enrollment. 

are u in the US? ive never heard of an HMo pharmacist calling and delyaing meds

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, looking for answers said:

are u in the US? ive never heard of an HMo pharmacist calling and delyaing meds

Yes, I am in the USA. I have written up my HMO to Medicare once a month over the last year about all the delays, and it keeps happening. 

When my psych doc tried to put me on Seroquel and Abilify, the pharmacist refused to fill the Abilify and the Seroquel and called my psych doc who called me for the heads up.  Eventually, weeks later I was able to get both.  But the point is, is that when a psych doc prescribes medication it's usually needed right away, not these week after week delays. 

49 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Glad you're looking for another plan....I hope you can find another plan that doesn't give you all these headaches.....

46 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Glad you're looking for another plan....I hope you can find another plan that doesn't give you all these headaches.....

Thank you Red ~  My HMO is almost getting away with murder in my case.  They refused to prescribe medication to keep me alive and so far Medicare is supporting them because the doctor changed the record.  I protested, but Medicare has no way to prove that the doctor changed the record.  So, I lost the case against her.  There is no justice in the justice system. 

• Sad 1

My hmo is pretty good, I can give you the name in a pm if you want it.  I get my rx filled at the pharmacy in town.  I've never tried the mail order.  A lot of the brand names are prior authorization but they usually get them filled in a couple days without any hassle.  Never had them question a prescription from a pdoc. 

*I'm on 60 tabs of. 5mg Klonopin as well.  Been as high as 60x 1mg before without issue. 

Edited by gb84

• 1 month later...

cThis has to be an insurance issue. You wouldn't believe all the ways insurance companies try to get out paying for things.

When I was a tech in retail insurance companies used to request that we did shit like that. You know,

"Mrs. Smith is diabetic. Can you call her doctor and request that she be put on a statin therapy?"

...uh no. If the doctor felt she should be on a statin med I'm sure he would have given her a script for one.

"We don't feel this dosage is appropriate for (insert condition here), you'll have to call the doctor and explain that to them."

...thanks fucker. Can't you do that? Nope. Okay. Sorry ma'am ... (lady) "BUT I NEED THIS can't you just tell my insurance...?"

I've had patients where the time they dropped off the script to the time they finally get it has been about a month. The insurance dragged that authorization process around the world and back, and then did it again.

I can't imagine what their own pharmacists go through. 

Edit: Can't your doctor change the script to 1mg a day and then instruct you to cut the pills in half (and not indicate it on the label)? I'm willing to bet it's not the dosage they have a problem with, but the number of pills dispensed. That dollar or two difference is a big deal to them. 

Edited by Persona_Is_Life
Add on. 2nd Edit: Spelling error.