CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
alen

Visual dissociation

Hey, y'all! I posted about this in the Bipolar forum but recent breakthroughs in my recovery made me want to post it on here. 

Since a highly traumatic event last year, I've been experiencing some weird visual problems where my vision feels...off. My vision feels very weird, like when you're watching a soap opera and the camera quality is off and the picture looks funky. Or it looks like it's under an Instagram filter or like I'm in a dream sequence. I also have pretty bad light sensitivity and wear prescription sunglasses during the day, inside and outside.

Does anyone else experience this kind of visual dissociation? I’m checking in with my doctors about it to rule out any physical health concerns. 

The only changes I noticed in my vision were that perfectly ignorable things became extremely noticeable. I used to get startled by leaves moving in the breeze, or a small movement in the corner of my eye. Can't say I ever experienced a reality fuzziness though

Yes. I used to feel that what I saw was the same as a movie. My perception of the depth of the objects was off, as if it was in 2D, but in 3D at the same time. Colours felt like a filter sometimes, too. 
I haven't felt like that in a long time (like...9 months or so...it's not actually that long). But it was so normal to me for the last few years that I remember it exactly. 

When I'm really caught up in trauma memories or dissociation, sometimes not really even being aware of it, I feel like I am seeing everything as "eight steps behind my eyeballs". Not sure if that's familiar or similar.

I never really thought about this before, but I have had this sort of experience.  "Eight steps behind my eyeballs" seems familiar.  Sort of like I'm suddenly looking at a movie screen instead of reality.  This often happens during a flashback.  My Pdoc tells me it's actually a very healthy coping mechanism.