CrazyBoards.org

32 minutes ago, silvinator said:

Alright guys this insomnia is getting stupid. I normally get 8-10 hours of sleep and I'm nowhere near that anymore. Right now I'm dog tired but can't sleep at all. I'm thinking depression might be a viable alternative to this crap. Going to sleep at 1 or 2 am every day and waking up at 7 is just retarded.

How long have you been on it for?  Do you take it in the AM or PM?  Has your Dr. given you anything to help you get to sleep? 

Yesterday I took it at night. I tried to go to bed around 3am, gave up at 5am and watched tv.  I was finally able to sleep around 7am till 2pm.  At least I got some sleep.  It's not as bad as abilify thankfully.  I couldn't sleep at all on that.  I took my dose around 6pm today so I am hoping I can get sleep at a more normal time.  If the sleep thing doesn't get better I'm probably going to ask for seroquel or trazadone. 

29 minutes ago, crow66 said:

Well I just checked the formulary...my insurance doesn't cover it.  I can't do $1200 per month so it goes...

I don't understand insurance companies and denying medications.  Mine had no problem paying for latuda, but wouldn't cover an allergy medication that was a 1/5 of latuda's cost.  I can understand restrictions with prior authorization, but flat out denying a medication that a Dr. prescribes should be criminal.  

25 minutes ago, gb84 said:

How long have you been on it for?  Do you take it in the AM or PM?  Has your Dr. given you anything to help you get to sleep? 

Yesterday I took it at night. I tried to go to bed around 3am, gave up at 5am and watched tv.  I was finally able to sleep around 7am till 2pm.  At least I got some sleep.  It's not as bad as abilify thankfully.  I couldn't sleep at all on that.  I took my dose around 6pm today so I am hoping I can get sleep at a more normal time.  If the sleep thing doesn't get better I'm probably going to ask for seroquel or trazadone. 

I've been on it for about 3 weeks. The insomnia seemed to be getting better but the build up of not having a single solitary good night sleep is getting to me hard. I take it in the morning. I used to take ability with my zyprexa and didn't have these problems. He's giving me 1mg klonopin and recommended CBD oil as well, which I've been taking. I took both tonight and they didn't do shit. If it's not 1 or 2 am, I'm just flat out not sleeping. If it's past 7 am (or 8am rarely) I'm just flat out not sleeping.

Managed to get (I think) 8 hours of sleep tonight. It was really a matter of telling myself "Fuck that you're going back to sleep" every time I woke up during the night. I left a message on my pdocs phone, but I think I jumped the gun a bit. The trick to this medicine seems to be taking a sedative and will powering it to work.

5 hours ago, crow66 said:

Yeah, I had to get a PA for Saphris...that was no problem.  But Vraylar has the dreaded NC...

According to iodine.com, Abilify might be a suitable alternative for me.

Well the good news is you're not bad enough for the government to call you completely disabled like they did with me 10 years ago. The bad news is, if they did you'd be getting this stuff for free.

• Like 2

Most people do end up taking Vraylar in the morning though because it's so activating.

Edited by browri

On 10/12/2018 at 9:44 PM, gb84 said:

Saw a new pdoc today.  Told her how miserable I am.  She gave me a little over a month of samples of vraylar.  Supposed to take 1.5mg for a week then go up to 3mg.  She also increased pristiq from 50mg to 100mg.

So, what is your experience on vraylar?  Good or bad I just want some input. 

Good luck with the vraylar. I actually wanted to try that one before clozapine but my pdoc insisted that I try clozapine instead. Oh well. I did some reading on vraylar and from what I saw it seemed like a decent med. Ymmv of course. I’m sorry you are so miserable and I hope both increases help you ASAP. I know you have been waiting a long time to just even see a good pdoc and that you have been suffering too.

I am curious how the pristiq treats you, but I’ll start my own topic so as to not intrude on your vraylar post. 

Good luck with your new med and increase!

Update: Last night my roommate gave me some milk and told me it was a "natural sedative". I thought his logic was ridiculous thinking milk would counter act the effects of a powerful antipsychotic. I was asleep within a half hour and woke up today, for once, NOT hyper. I have a normal amount of energy but I was still motivated enough to go out this morning and do my thing.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, silvinator said:

Update: Last night my roommate gave me some milk and told me it was a "natural sedative". I thought his logic was ridiculous thinking milk would counter act the effects of a powerful antipsychotic. I was asleep within a half hour and woke up today, for once, NOT hyper. I have a normal amount of energy but I was still motivated enough to go out this morning and do my thing.

He is right in a way, though. Milk contains a fair amount of melatonin, which would promote positive sleep. Thing is that melatonin should be taken regularly for best effect. So basically a glass of milk every evening.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, browri said:

He is right in a way, though. Milk contains a fair amount of melatonin, which would promote positive sleep. Thing is that melatonin should be taken regularly for best effect. So basically a glass of milk every evening.

Apparently my roommate is a fucking genius and I should go out and buy him a bottle of liquor as a thank you. (He drinks, I don't)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, silvinator said:

Well the good news is you're not bad enough for the government to call you completely disabled like they did with me 10 years ago. The bad news is, if they did you'd be getting this stuff for free.

I’ve been determined totally and permanently disabled by the government. They determined this after discharging my federal student loans. I’m also on SSDI, and will be most likely for life. I don’t consider that good or bad. It is what it is. I do long to return to college and try working full time (I’ve never been able to). It’s hard. I don’t want to be stuck on SSDI getting hardly any income. I want to be able to work. 

I’m curious though. Why is it bad news to be getting a necessary medication for free? I used to have Medicaid before I got married and got my meds for free. Now we do not qualify for Medicaid anymore. We pay a lot for medications and I’m limited to generics only because of this. I’d love to go back on Medicaid or at least get extra help from Medicare to help pay for costs of meds or appointments.

A lot of our income goes towards therapy, pdoc appointments, case management appointments, group therapy (hopefully soon again), a crap load of meds, blood draws for clozapine, monitored weekly medication boxes, gas money to go to and from appointments, etc. It all adds up fast. We owe the county clinic nearly $90,000 now. But we have a payment plan and pay so much a month to be in good standing. It’s expensive to be crazy.

• Like 1

Just now, silvinator said:

Apparently my roommate is a fucking genius and I should go out and buy him a bottle of liquor as a thank you. (He drinks, I don't)

There is a fair likelihood that the milk assisted with getting you to sleep, but not feeling hyper the next day was more likely the fact that the Vraylar is settling in a bit at this point. Was last night Night 2 or 3?

• Like 1

Just now, browri said:

There is a fair likelihood that the milk assisted with getting you to sleep, but not feeling hyper the next day was more likely the fact that the Vraylar is settling in a bit at this point. Was last night Night 2 or 3?

More like week 3

5 minutes ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

I’ve been determined totally and permanently disabled by the government. They determined this after discharging my federal student loans. I’m also on SSDI, and will be most likely for life. I don’t consider that good or bad. It is what it is. I do long to return to college and try working full time (I’ve never been able to). It’s hard. I don’t want to be stuck on SSDI getting hardly any income. I want to be able to work. 

I’m curious though. Why is it bad news to be getting a necessary medication for free? I used to have Medicaid before I got married and got my meds for free. Now we do not qualify for Medicaid anymore. We pay a lot for medications and I’m limited to generics only because of this. I’d love to go back on Medicaid or at least get extra help from Medicare to help pay for costs of meds or appointments.

A lot of our income goes towards therapy, pdoc appointments, case management appointments, group therapy (hopefully soon again), a crap load of meds, blood draws for clozapine, monitored weekly medication boxes, gas money to go to and from appointments, etc. It all adds up fast. We owe the county clinic nearly $90,000 now. But we have a payment plan and pay so much a month to be in good standing. It’s expensive to be crazy.

No, you misunderstood or maybe I was unclear. I meant it was bad that he wasn't getting the medicine for free, but good that he's not sick enough to be on disability. I'm on disability as well and also am trying to work, and we're in the same boat as far as needing it.

Edited by silvinator
said but instead of and

Just now, silvinator said:

More like week 3

Wow, I have got to get off lamotrigine stat. I have been having crazy cognitive issues lately with it. Total brain fart.

Well then yeah totally at this point you may feel it settling in. The main component, cariprazine, reaches steady state 11-28 days after starting a particular dose. However, the metabolite, desmethylcariprazine can take two and a half to four MONTHS to reach steady state. So give it some more time.

Are you on 3mg at this point or still taking 1.5mg?

1 minute ago, browri said:

Wow, I have got to get off lamotrigine stat. I have been having crazy cognitive issues lately with it. Total brain fart.

Well then yeah totally at this point you may feel it settling in. The main component, cariprazine, reaches steady state 11-28 days after starting a particular dose. However, the metabolite, desmethylcariprazine can take two and a half to four MONTHS to reach steady state. So give it some more time.

Are you on 3mg at this point or still taking 1.5mg?

3mg now. That's the dose he wants to keep on me as well. The main component seems to be stabilizing. Can you give any info on what the metabolite does?

3 minutes ago, silvinator said:

No, you misunderstood or maybe I was unclear. I meant it was bad that he wasn't getting the medicine for free, but good that he's not sick enough to be on disability. I'm on disability as well and also am trying to work, and we're in the same boat as far as needing it.

Ahhhhh. Gotcha. Sorry about that. I’m in the middle of a med change. My mind isn’t that sharp, unfortunately. 

Good luck with the trying to work. Maybe we will both have some luck sooner rather than later. I hope so.  

• Like 3

Just now, Wonderful.Cheese said:

Ahhhhh. Gotcha. Sorry about that. I’m in the middle of a med change. My mind isn’t that sharp, unfortunately. 

Good luck with the trying to work. Maybe we will both have some luck sooner rather than later. I hope so.  

It's all good. Maybe your med change will give you what it takes to work. It seems to be with me. Good luck to you as well!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, silvinator said:

3mg now. That's the dose he wants to keep on me as well. The main component seems to be stabilizing. Can you give any info on what the metabolite does?

I can't find much data on the metabolites. It looks like pharmacology data for them is on file, but you have to have a subscription to some of these sites to get access to the articles because they're so new and haven't been released freely for public consumption. However, what I have been able to find is that desmethylcariprazine and didesmethylcariprazine both have pretty similar pharmacology to cariprazine.

• Like 1