CrazyBoards.org

Vraylar seemed to work much better for me on the lowest dose, got a little flat once we went to 3. 

It’s a great medication though!

3 hours ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

Good luck with the vraylar. I actually wanted to try that one before clozapine but my pdoc insisted that I try clozapine instead. Oh well. I did some reading on vraylar and from what I saw it seemed like a decent med. Ymmv of course. I’m sorry you are so miserable and I hope both increases help you ASAP. I know you have been waiting a long time to just even see a good pdoc and that you have been suffering too.

I am curious how the pristiq treats you, but I’ll start my own topic so as to not intrude on your vraylar post. 

Good luck with your new med and increase!

Thanks.  I replied to your pristiq thread.  I don't think it's a good med for me.  I really only take it so I don't go through withdrawal.  I am going to ask to try wellbutrin at my next appointment.  At least it is approved for sad.  Worth a shot, haven't had one ad work for me though.  

3 hours ago, silvinator said:

Update: Last night my roommate gave me some milk and told me it was a "natural sedative". I thought his logic was ridiculous thinking milk would counter act the effects of a powerful antipsychotic. I was asleep within a half hour and woke up today, for once, NOT hyper. I have a normal amount of energy but I was still motivated enough to go out this morning and do my thing.

I will try this.  Last night I took generic unisom and slept pretty much through the night.  I was pretty exhausted though so that helped. 

I took it today at about 4pm.  I've had this weird body buzz all day and I've been very anxious.  

It's kind of amazing that this is marketed in the ads for people with bipolar mania. Considering it is activating and can keep people from getting any sleep.  I know when I used to be manic the last thing I wanted was to take something to keep me up.  But hey wtf do I know. 

Edited by gb84

10 hours ago, gb84 said:

I took it today at about 4pm.  I've had this weird body buzz all day and I've been very anxious.  

It's kind of amazing that this is marketed in the ads for people with bipolar mania. Considering it is activating and can keep people from getting any sleep.  I know when I used to be manic the last thing I wanted was to take something to keep me up.  But hey wtf do I know. 

The hyper feeling will wear off, or at least it did for me. The meds just need to stabilize and it stimulates the dopamine receptors. You're basically going to feel coked up for part of the day at first. Also, this sleep thing is getting better for me. I take 1mg klonopin and a glass of milk at night and it works pretty well. I wake up between 2-4 times per night but I DO get back to sleep until about 7-8 hours of sleep (7 last night). This seems like one of those meds that has nasty side effects until your body figures out what to do with it. But I WILL be asking my pdoc for a time release klonpin if they make one. Hopefully that will keep me asleep.

Klonopin actually has a half-life of 19-60 hours and a duration of effect of 6-12 hours. For that reason they never made an extended release version. It has one of the longest half lives of benzos.

12 minutes ago, browri said:

Klonopin actually has a half-life of 19-60 hours and a duration of effect of 6-12 hours. For that reason they never made an extended release version. It has one of the longest half lives of benzos.

Crap... I really don't want to change what benzo I'm taking or be put on something that's not a benzo. Or even worse, have him switch me from Valium. That stuff scares the daylights out of me. Here's hoping he puts me on time release Xanax.

My mother-in-law has developed sleep issues in older age. Her pdoc told her to take Klonopin about an hour before she goes to bed. Like 0.5mg, then if she wakes up around 4am when she usually does, take a Xanax and go back to sleep. Because Xanax is shorter acting, it's less likely to leave you groggy when you wake up if you take it in the early morning unlike taking another Klonopin which would make you feel like a zombie when you wake up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, silvinator said:

The hyper feeling will wear off, or at least it did for me. The meds just need to stabilize and it stimulates the dopamine receptors. You're basically going to feel coked up for part of the day at first. Also, this sleep thing is getting better for me. I take 1mg klonopin and a glass of milk at night and it works pretty well. I wake up between 2-4 times per night but I DO get back to sleep until about 7-8 hours of sleep (7 last night). This seems like one of those meds that has nasty side effects until your body figures out what to do with it. But I WILL be asking my pdoc for a time release klonpin if they make one. Hopefully that will keep me asleep.

That's good to know.  I have a few more days until I start the 3mg samples.  I was worried that this was going to be like Abilify and the sleep never getting any better.  But at least I am sleeping somewhat.  The motivation hasn't kicked in yet for me, but maybe it will when I get to 3mg.  

So when exactly does this start acting as an antipsychotic and not a propsychotic?  I've never been so hopped up and angry in my entire miserable life.  I can't even leave the house to get food, because I'm afraid I'll snap.  Every other antipsychotic I have taken has been calming.  What the fuck is going on here.  God help all the manic people sucked in by the false advertising on television. 

• Sad 1

The anger thing is surprising. Never experienced that with Vraylar, but have with depakote. 

I’d definitely call doc asap. 

Unfortunately, this doc is only in the office on Fridays.  I just dosed myself on Klonopin and Gabapentin, hopefully it will help. 

10 hours ago, gb84 said:

So when exactly does this start acting as an antipsychotic and not a propsychotic?  I've never been so hopped up and angry in my entire miserable life.  I can't even leave the house to get food, because I'm afraid I'll snap.  Every other antipsychotic I have taken has been calming.  What the fuck is going on here.  God help all the manic people sucked in by the false advertising on television. 

You might need to be taken off of it. Before I started taking it I was snapping on people left and right. Now it's impossible to get me irritated or mad. Sounds like it's having the opposite effect on you.

I want to warn everyone. Do not take Trazodone with this. My pdoc gave me that stuff to sleep, and not only did it not help me sleep, but it shot my memory to hell. I couldn't even remember the name of the local parks I go and shoot photography at without brainstorming on it. Then half the time I still couldn't remember. Also, my speech center was affected. Luckily it was all reversed with a strong dose of clonazepam.

12 hours ago, gb84 said:

Vraylar is definitely activating for sure. You're on 3mg at this point, right? Maybe you need to step down to 1.5mg.

8 hours ago, browri said:

Vraylar is definitely activating for sure. You're on 3mg at this point, right? Maybe you need to step down to 1.5mg.

I'm still on 1.5mg for two more days.  

I did some reading, and what I have been experiencing is not from vraylar.  It is withdrawal from geodon.

Last night I actually started hallucinating while lying in bed unable to sleep.  The thought that stopping geodon was causing it popped into my head and I took a pill.  30 minutes after taking geodon everything stopped and I could sleep.  It looks like I will have to taper geodon for a month to get off of it safely.  So I am going to split my 20mg capsules and make a week of 15mg, 10mg and 5mg.  I can't believe I am having withdrawal from a drug I was barely on a month. 

On 10/14/2018 at 9:46 AM, browri said:

Wow, I have got to get off lamotrigine stat. I have been having crazy cognitive issues lately with it. Total brain fart.

Well then yeah totally at this point you may feel it settling in. The main component, cariprazine, reaches steady state 11-28 days after starting a particular dose. However, the metabolite, desmethylcariprazine can take two and a half to four MONTHS to reach steady state. So give it some more time.

Are you on 3mg at this point or still taking 1.5mg?

Actually I started taking this October 2nd and started the full dose October 9th. He upped my clonazepam. For the first time since I started taking this I actually woke up foggy headed and tired. I got 5 1/2 hours of sleep last night which is pretty good for me on this medication. 

Should I give it more time?

16 hours ago, gb84 said:

I'm still on 1.5mg for two more days.  

I did some reading, and what I have been experiencing is not from vraylar.  It is withdrawal from geodon.

Last night I actually started hallucinating while lying in bed unable to sleep.  The thought that stopping geodon was causing it popped into my head and I took a pill.  30 minutes after taking geodon everything stopped and I could sleep.  It looks like I will have to taper geodon for a month to get off of it safely.  So I am going to split my 20mg capsules and make a week of 15mg, 10mg and 5mg.  I can't believe I am having withdrawal from a drug I was barely on a month. 

According to Stephen Stahl's prescriber's guide, titration from Geodon to Vraylar should be overlapped by one week. However, you're on such a low dose of Geodon that it's hard to actually titrate. So perhaps you try to remove it after you've been on 3mg for a few days.

2 hours ago, silvinator said:

Actually I started taking this October 2nd and started the full dose October 9th. He upped my clonazepam. For the first time since I started taking this I actually woke up foggy headed and tired. I got 5 1/2 hours of sleep last night which is pretty good for me on this medication. 

Should I give it more time?

Are you taking Vraylar morning or night? Your fogginess could also be the increased clonazepam dose. My partner always feels that way after his pdoc raises his clonazepam.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, browri said:

According to Stephen Stahl's prescriber's guide, titration from Geodon to Vraylar should be overlapped by one week. However, you're on such a low dose of Geodon that it's hard to actually titrate. So perhaps you try to remove it after you've been on 3mg for a few days.

Are you taking Vraylar morning or night? Your fogginess could also be the increased clonazepam dose. My partner always feels that way after his pdoc raises his clonazepam.

I believe the fogginess was from the clonezapam dose. I took it later than usual. Managed to get another hour of sleep and feel fine now.

I'm taking the Vraylar in the morning.

1 hour ago, silvinator said:

I believe the fogginess was from the clonezapam dose. I took it later than usual. Managed to get another hour of sleep and feel fine now.

Yeah my partner and our pdoc have both emphasized that it HAS to be taken early enough. Sometime between 7pm and 8pm would be best.

1 hour ago, silvinator said:

I'm taking the Vraylar in the morning.

Smart idea. Should help to give some pep to offset the morning fogginess from clonazepam.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, browri said:

That makes me feel better.  I read that the dopamine surge from stopping geodon is likely to blame for the hallucinations and overall bad feelings.  So I guess the antipsychotic part of vraylar hasn't really kicked in yet, otherwise it should be blocking dopamine as well?  Don't quote me on that, I really don't understand how all the brain chemicals work yet. 

I start 3mg tomorrow, hopefully the increased dose will make stopping geodon easier.  I've been taking vraylar in the AM now as well.

In the meantime, my pdoc was able to call in some medication to help with the withdrawal, plus a low dose of zyprexa for sleep if I need it.