Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, gb84 said:

That makes me feel better.  I read that the dopamine surge from stopping geodon is likely to blame for the hallucinations and overall bad feelings.  So I guess the antipsychotic part of vraylar hasn't really kicked in yet, otherwise it should be blocking dopamine as well?  Don't quote me on that, I really don't understand how all the brain chemicals work yet. 

I start 3mg tomorrow, hopefully the increased dose will make stopping geodon easier.  I've been taking vraylar in the AM now as well.

In the meantime, my pdoc was able to call in some medication to help with the withdrawal, plus a low dose of zyprexa for sleep if I need it. 

Don't judge the antipsychotic effect yet as 1.5 is the lowest dose and Vraylar takes a while for steady state 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Iceberg said:

Don't judge the antipsychotic effect yet as 1.5 is the lowest dose and Vraylar takes a while for steady state 

I'm trying to be patient.  I've just felt bad for so long I want to feel better.  I hate being so angry and irritated for no good reason.  It would be nice to feel comfortable in my own skin for once.  I'm tired of all of these paranoid and delusional thoughts tearing me down.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, now that I've been on 3mg for the 2nd day I'm really starting to feel better.  Definitely feeling the motivation that @silvinator mentioned.  I'm actually getting things done.  Mowed the lawn, bought food, actually showering in the morning.  I used to go several days without.

Was able to ditch geodon without any withdrawal symptoms, since starting 3mg.  This is a really good medication, except for insomnia when I was taking it in the PM, I haven't noticed any side effects at all.  Hope this upswing continues. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, gb84 said:

So, now that I've been on 3mg for the 2nd day I'm really starting to feel better.  Definitely feeling the motivation that @silvinator mentioned.  I'm actually getting things done.  Mowed the lawn, bought food, actually showering in the morning.  I used to go several days without.

Was able to ditch geodon without any withdrawal symptoms, since starting 3mg.  This is a really good medication, except for insomnia when I was taking it in the PM, I haven't noticed any side effects at all.  Hope this upswing continues. 

Believe me it will. I'm feeling so great, I don't even care about my insomnia. I'm currently googling what allergy medication I can take with this stuff. The pharmacist gave me zyrtec.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just want to update. My insomnia is quickly getting better. As long as I don't have an allergy attack I pretty much sleep fine. Be REALLY careful. Certain allergy medicines don't mix with Vraylar. Consult the pharmacist before buying anything. This stuff is very likely to make any allergies much worse, but the pharmacist gave me some stuff that works flawlessly. 

 

Everything I read said the insomnia goes away after 2 weeks. It's a little over the two week mark for me and mine is going away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had Akathisia for the first time on vraylar yesterday, today nothing.  I don't understand these medications.  I took it again today because I felt its benefits outweighed the negatives.  Hopefully yesterdays experience was a one time occurrence.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2018 at 9:44 PM, gb84 said:

Saw a new pdoc today.  Told her how miserable I am.  She gave me a little over a month of samples of vraylar.  Supposed to take 1.5mg for a week then go up to 3mg.  She also increased pristiq from 50mg to 100mg.

So, what is your experience on vraylar?  Good or bad I just want some input. 

My experience on Vraylar was alright. When I started the medication I felt like I was coming down with the flu though, but I knew it was all because of the Vraylar. Headaches, nausea, etc etc. At the time I started I was tipping point suicidal, and it kept me from succeeding with my plans. It held me over in a crisis but I only stayed on it for four weeks. It did nothing for me as far as mood stabilization though, just cut the suicidal ideation. I didn't really perceive it as activating but I had been a long time user of abilify and no longer experience akathisia no matter what anti-psychotic I take so that bit of information may not be as helpful as say someone not used to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, de414 said:

My experience on Vraylar was alright. When I started the medication I felt like I was coming down with the flu though, but I knew it was all because of the Vraylar. Headaches, nausea, etc etc. At the time I started I was tipping point suicidal, and it kept me from succeeding with my plans. It held me over in a crisis but I only stayed on it for four weeks. It did nothing for me as far as mood stabilization though, just cut the suicidal ideation. I didn't really perceive it as activating but I had been a long time user of abilify and no longer experience akathisia no matter what anti-psychotic I take so that bit of information may not be as helpful as say someone not used to it.

Did you have trouble sleeping?  @silvinator stated it should hopefully go away after 2 weeks.  I just passed that mark, but still having trouble with sleep.

I was on abilify for two months, couldn't sleep at all on that med. 

Do you take a mood stabilizer or antidepressant? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, gb84 said:

Did you have trouble sleeping?  @silvinator stated it should hopefully go away after 2 weeks.  I just passed that mark, but still having trouble with sleep.

I was on abilify for two months, couldn't sleep at all on that med. 

Do you take a mood stabilizer or antidepressant? 

Are u at 3mgs? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Iceberg said:

Are u at 3mgs? 

Yes, I am just starting my 2nd week on 3mg.  I probably need 4.5mg to control all my symptoms, but will see.  Mainly worried about akathisia, had a bout of it for about 6 hours a couple of days ago.  

Edited by gb84

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for this thread and all the insight.  I just started Vraylar today.  So far so good.  My Pdoc recommended taking it in the morning.  He said it can be activating which confirms what some of you have said here.  I am hoping that all goes well.  I am decreasing my depakote dosage by 500mg today as well.  The end goal is to have Vraylar as my main medication and get me off the Geodon and Depakote completely.  Please continue to share your experiences.  I look forward to reading them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2018 at 7:34 PM, gb84 said:

Did you have trouble sleeping?  @silvinator stated it should hopefully go away after 2 weeks.  I just passed that mark, but still having trouble with sleep.

I was on abilify for two months, couldn't sleep at all on that med. 

Do you take a mood stabilizer or antidepressant? 

I did not have any issues with sleep that I remember. I take neither a mood stabilizer or antidepressant, I just take Latuda and the occasional Klonopin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2018 at 9:04 PM, silvinator said:

I've been on it for about 3 weeks. The insomnia seemed to be getting better but the build up of not having a single solitary good night sleep is getting to me hard. I take it in the morning. I used to take ability with my zyprexa and didn't have these problems. He's giving me 1mg klonopin and recommended CBD oil as well, which I've been taking. I took both tonight and they didn't do shit. If it's not 1 or 2 am, I'm just flat out not sleeping. If it's past 7 am (or 8am rarely) I'm just flat out not sleeping.

My insurance denied dispensing Abilify with Seroquel or Zyprexa by itself, claiming all sorts of crazy reasons.  I had to go outside my HMO to buy Abilify and Seroquel.  But had my psych doc (who is not part of this HMO) call in to talk to my HMO pharmacy and then they were okay with Zyprexa, however in order to take Vimpat, I have to have a cardiologists endorsement due to heart implications of that and combining an anti-psychotic with this class of anti-seizure med.  And my former primary at this HMO erased all my meds from my outside neurologists prescriptions and I was unable to fill them today.  Was that ethical?  She never explained why she did that. Then walked over to get my flu shot and went in for bloodwork and she wiped out all my standing orders too, I was pissed.  Back to insurance denying medication, it's the old saying "insurance companies playing doctor".   Now that I am increasing Zyprexa, my insomnia kicked back in and I would literally stay awake all night long, but now adding Trasadone helps me and I got 12 hours of solid sleep with Trasadone and Klonopin - 1 mg. 

Going to ask about Vylar when I see my psych doc again as I can only take Zyprexa for up to 6 months and then the TD kicks in with severe muscle rigidity that even Cogentin won't help. 

This is a great thread, glad you all are talking about all this.  Thank you :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I mentioned, I started Vraylar on Sat and decreased my Depakote dosage.  I'm trying to figure out if the Vraylar has actually started working or if the change in my mood and personality is due to the lack of Depakote or maybe a combination of both?  I noticed that I have been waking up about an hour and a half earlier than normal the last several days as well.  Even with my Lunesta, I can't sleep beyond 8 hours.  I suppose I shouldn't complain about getting 8 hours of sleep a night, but I'm used to getting closer to 9-10.  I know that several of you have spoken about insomnia.  Is this similiar to what you've experienced?

I am also experiencing elevated mood and clarity of thinking.  Maybe I was just overmedicated?  Thoughts?

Thanks for any insight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I had those things happen when I dumped Depakote. Obviously it's not that simple but it could be a contributing factor. Also I actually consider automatically waking up at 8 hours to be great as the right balance of sleep and productiveness. Clearly that's a really personal thing tho 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Catmomma12 said:

As I mentioned, I started Vraylar on Sat and decreased my Depakote dosage.  I'm trying to figure out if the Vraylar has actually started working or if the change in my mood and personality is due to the lack of Depakote or maybe a combination of both?  I noticed that I have been waking up about an hour and a half earlier than normal the last several days as well.  Even with my Lunesta, I can't sleep beyond 8 hours.  I suppose I shouldn't complain about getting 8 hours of sleep a night, but I'm used to getting closer to 9-10.  I know that several of you have spoken about insomnia.  Is this similiar to what you've experienced?

I am also experiencing elevated mood and clarity of thinking.  Maybe I was just overmedicated?  Thoughts?

Thanks for any insight.

I wake up much earlier than I used to now that I am on vraylar. 

It only took a few days to feel the effects.  It gives me a little more energy than I had.  But the initial energy boost has been wearing off the longer I'm on it. 

I really didn't start feeling the effects on my positive/negative symptoms till I got to 3mg.  I've been on 3mg for a couple of weeks.  Now I feel more calm, I don't get angry, I have less ruminating thoughts.  My paranoia is pretty well controlled. 

I was taking a low dose of Zyprexa to sleep, because of the insomnia.  But, now I just take doxylamine and get to sleep quicker

Edited by gb84

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright I'm fully adjusted to the Vraylar now. For the first time last night I got 7 1/2 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Most of the negative side effects seem to be going away.

 

My pdoc doesn't want to see me for another 3 months so he's keeping me on it. He told me the increased allergies aren't actually increased allergies. They're regular allergies that for some reason my zyprexa was controlling.

 

I gotta warn people on stage 2 antipsychotics. This shit will bring back all aspects of your regular personality for better or for worse. When I was a kid, I was a bit of a dick. The Zyprexa blunted all of my emotions and I thought I had just gotten over that with maturity.

 

So far I've gotten into an argument with my pdocs receptionist, gotten confrontational with my pdoc, and went off on some random couple for taking too long at a toll booth.

 

The Pdocs receptionist deserved it because she's unapologetically incompetent. The other two are just me going back to snapping on people because I'm now mentally competent enough to once again get mad at everyone.

 

This shit will bring you back to baseline. I started taking Zyprexa at the age of 19, I was a zombie until 29. Now I'm a 29 year old with the emotional stability of a 19 year old if that makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm...not sure it's quite supposed to happen like that tho...cuz it it possible that is more of an uncontrolled symptom? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those thoughts and behavior are what I was experiencing before I started vraylar.  I was very angry and rude to everyone.  Now even when I have the thoughts, I don't get angry at all.  This med seems to have calmed me down a lot.  It wasn't until the end of the second week on 3mg that this kicked in.  I'm pretty pleased so far, I didn't like it the first couple weeks. 

I agree that this med does slowly lift the veil into a new reality.  I actually feel like a human being again.  Now I just have to work on fixing the depression I have. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone gone to 4.5mg or higher on this?  I think I need a higher dose.  For the past few days my paranoia has come back.  Of course, this could be from depression worsening due to the time change... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...