CrazyBoards.org

Generic Antidepressants: The Same?

Antidepressants  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Is there a difference between Generic AntiDepressants vs. Brand?

• No Difference
    • Yes Difference, Brand was better

I've had some strange experiences switching from brand to generic.  For things like ativan and seroquel I never had any issues with the generics and this goes for other medications I've taken, but for antidepressants I've found things to be different, whether they're not effective or they have increased side effects...And I've also been trying generics for the last year with no success at all...

What do you guys think?

Edited by BrianOCD

I think the only experience I've had with brand vs. generic like this has been with Effexor. My best friend had a bunch of brand-name left over that he got directly from the pharmaceutical company after he quit taking it that he gave me when I started it. I started on brand-name and then switched to generic and it was like day and night.

Other than that, I haven't had any experiences. I mean, I took brand-name Pristiq and generic Pristiq too, but neither of them worked for me at all anyway.

My pdoc said that when Cymbalta went generic, many of her patients had a lot of problems with it.

If you go here, https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/ndc/index.cfm, and select "proprietary name," and type in the generic name of the drug, then it will come up with all FDA approved generics. Then what you will need to search for on the next screen is "authorized" in the search bar on the top right. If anything shows up under the "Market Category" as "NDA AUTHORIZED GENERIC," then that will be as close to brand-name as you can get with a generic. For generic Cymbalta, there appears to be only one manufacturer, "Carilion Materials Management," and it's only the 60 mg capsule. You will need to copy the NDC Package code (for this product, 68151-4727-3) But it appears it's only 1 capsule in the package for some reason... so... I guess never mind on that... otherwise you could bring that information to your pharmacy and request that they order from that manufacturer.

• Like 1