CrazyBoards.org

DOes anyone else find it odd how some people are under control with BP1 with like 2-3 meds. THen others need 7. Ppl with depression can be controleld with an AD. Others need an AD, mood stabilizer, AP, stim. just always makes me wonder if the people who need more are jsut never content with how they feel, and forget what normal feels like.

• Confused 2

24 minutes ago, looking for answers said:

DOes anyone else find it odd how some people are under control with BP1 with like 2-3 meds. THen others need 7. Ppl with depression can be controleld with an AD. Others need an AD, mood stabilizer, AP, stim. just always makes me wonder if the people who need more are jsut never content with how they feel, and forget what normal feels like.

Normal doesn't exist.  It's just a made up word to placate the masses. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, looking for answers said:

So you think people who take more than one or two meds are attention-seeking? Maybe even malingering? 

Why can't it just be that brain chemistry is a weird thing that we don't fully understand? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Geek said:

So you think people who take more than one or two meds are attention-seeking? Maybe even malingering? 

Why can't it just be that brain chemistry is a weird thing that we don't fully understand? 

im not insinuating things about ppl. i jsut mean some people always crave more. 

But its odd that a person with rapid cycling bp1 can be on 3, then im on 7

• Confused 1

i think what i was trying to say came out wrong

1) I personally see it frustrating to be on so many meds and not totally stable, when others can do it with 1-3 meds. i know everyones different but it makes the med carousel much harder.

2)Also because i never feel totally better, i never feel content, and feel the need to try something new. which is frustrating. Im not quite sure how that turned into people are attention seeking. its more people always searching for more, better, best....which is human

3 hours ago, looking for answers said:

i think what i was trying to say came out wrong

1) I personally see it frustrating to be on so many meds and not totally stable, when others can do it with 1-3 meds. i know everyones different but it makes the med carousel much harder.

2)Also because i never feel totally better, i never feel content, and feel the need to try something new. which is frustrating. Im not quite sure how that turned into people are attention seeking. its more people always searching for more, better, best....which is human

So, instead of hinting that others are never happy no matter what they take, you were thinking that about yourself. That sounds a lot more fair. Cause I know for me personally, I’ve only started feeling better than I have in over 20 years, now that I’ve gotten on this new medication but also take several others. 

I don’t feel like that makes me discontent, just unlucky and now lucky. 

I hope you get the right combo soon. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

@looking for answers ----Do you have a therapist...??    Therapy could help with stabilization.....Meds alone don't always totally solve the problem.........Just a thought.

32 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

@looking for answers ----Do you have a therapist...??    Therapy could help with stabilization.....Meds alone don't always totally solve the problem.........Just a thought.

I have a therapist. 

5 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:

So, instead of hinting that others are never happy no matter what they take, you were thinking that about yourself. That sounds a lot more fair. Cause I know for me personally, I’ve only started feeling better than I have in over 20 years, now that I’ve gotten on this new medication but also take several others. 

I don’t feel like that makes me discontent, just unlucky and now lucky. 

I hope you get the right combo soon. 

Sorry for the confusion just delete this thread @Velvet Elvis things are being taken the wrong way.  apologies to everyone. Gonna steer clear of the boards for a bit

4 minutes ago, looking for answers said:

I have a therapist. 

Sorry for the confusion just delete this thread @Velvet Elvis things are being taken the wrong way.  apologies to everyone. Gonna steer clear of the boards for a bit

No need to stay away...confusion happens to all of us at one point or another! ? hug

Edited by DammitJanet

I think the problem is that there, with some exceptions of those with a classical manifestation of illness, with no or low co-morbidity, there's an infinite spectrum of grey between the poles.

If illness followed nosology:

MDD - late (30+ onset) not cyclical or recurrent, take an SSRI for a few months and done.

Bipolar - lithium

And that would be it...it's just no one here really fits the classical manifestation of any illness, regardless of DX. Your case might be a prime example. Multiple docs can't even decide if you're MDD or BP II

• Like 1

Everybody is different; some people just do not respond to 1 or 2 medications, so a cocktail is created. For depression I take fluoxetine along with bupropion XL, fluoxetine being the main AD and bupropion being used to augment it to treat any lingering symptoms and side effects. I honestly don't feel like people are just not satisfied with how they feel...I think they just want relief or are also treating comorbid mental disorders. I take clonazepam for anxiety + panic and trazodone for sleep, so I'm on 4 psych meds right now. If it were up to me I would be on no medication, it doesn't feel good to take so many medications. But it is worth it to live a normal, stable life.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, argh said:

I think the problem is that there, with some exceptions of those with a classical manifestation of illness, with no or low co-morbidity, there's an infinite spectrum of grey between the poles.

If illness followed nosology:

MDD - late (30+ onset) not cyclical or recurrent, take an SSRI for a few months and done.

Bipolar - lithium

And that would be it...it's just no one here really fits the classical manifestation of any illness, regardless of DX. Your case might be a prime example. Multiple docs can't even decide if you're MDD or BP II

lol great points

2 hours ago, icygrave said:

Everybody is different; some people just do not respond to 1 or 2 medications, so a cocktail is created. For depression I take fluoxetine along with bupropion XL, fluoxetine being the main AD and bupropion being used to augment it to treat any lingering symptoms and side effects. I honestly don't feel like people are just not satisfied with how they feel...I think they just want relief or are also treating comorbid mental disorders. I take clonazepam for anxiety + panic and trazodone for sleep, so I'm on 4 psych meds right now. If it were up to me I would be on no medication, it doesn't feel good to take so many medications. But it is worth it to live a normal, stable life.

agreed

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Funny. I just started seeing a new therapist. I put on my intake paperwork that I was bipolar 2, rapid-cycling with seasonal features and at the first appt he looked at my meds and had to double-take at my diagnosis because he assumed from my meds I was BP1 not BP2. We had an interesting conversation about it. Truth is not a lot of people with BP2 require Depakote to maintain, but I do. We're all unique. And to be honest, it took SEVERAL medications before I found ones that worked. But along the way I learned that some of the meds I stopped taking were in fact successful trials and I was looking for things that were wrong with them so I had an excuse to switch to something that I thought MIGHT be better. Ultimately, I reached a point where I realized I was running out of medications that I was WILLING to try and that's when I started to slow down.

Therapy helped with that. It essentially took my therapist telling me quite directly that I wasn't doing anything to help myself and no matter how much I thought it did, constantly switching out or adjusting medication doses didn't actually fix the problem. So truly, who knows if this is the best combo for me. I just know that I started caring less about my medications around the same time that I settled on this combo. Perhaps these meds made me less obsessive or perhaps maybe I just got more insight into my issues. I'm a firm believer that these things are indeed chemical in nature, but we as humans are "powerful" beings. It's amazing how a change of perspective can have a dramatic shift on the chemical makeup of the brain. It just takes an iron will sometimes that we don't always have but sometimes find it in ourselves to pull out when it's truly needed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, browri said:

We're all unique. And to be honest, it took SEVERAL medications before I found ones that worked. But along the way I learned that some of the meds I stopped taking were in fact successful trials and I was looking for things that were wrong with them so I had an excuse to switch to something that I thought MIGHT be better. Ultimately, I reached a point where I realized I was running out of medications that I was WILLING to try and that's when I started to slow down.

An essential truth. I've made no changes in the last 13 years except 6 years ago when we added Abilify. If I can't do long trials I might as well not bother with meds because time and again it has taken more than 4 weeks to 1) Find the right dose and 2) be on it long enough for it to begin to assert itself. I think you are headed down the wrong path when you have a list of what you will not take. Ruling out a whole class of meds because one in that class did not work. Really ? You are much more likely to find your cocktail if you throw out the "will not take" lists. Mental illness is anything but static, it gets worse as the years proceed, if you do nothing. So do not be fooled into thinking that you gave it a trial and it failed. End of story. Your mental illness and symptoms will change as the years go by. ADHD was left untreated when I was younger because I had more energy to get things done at the last moment. That has changed as I hit my 40's and it became necessary to treat ADHD.

Something I have noticed starting with Dr. Bob's list to Crazy Meds list and this list is while I encountered a number of persons with a lot of knowledge about psychopharmacology, most all of them were bad off, not finding any treatments that work. That is telling.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, notloki said:

An essential truth. I've made no changes in the last 13 years except 6 years ago when we added Abilify. If I can't do long trials I might as well not bother with meds because time and again it has taken more than 4 weeks to 1) Find the right dose and 2) be on it long enough for it to begin to assert itself. I think you are headed down the wrong path when you have a list of what you will not take. Ruling out a whole class of meds because one in that class did not work. Really ? You are much more likely to find your cocktail if you throw out the "will not take" lists. Mental illness is anything but static, it gets worse as the years proceed, if you do nothing. So do not be fooled into thinking that you gave it a trial and it failed. End of story. Your mental illness and symptoms will change as the years go by. ADHD was left untreated when I was younger because I had more energy to get things done at the last moment. That has changed as I hit my 40's and it became necessary to treat ADHD.

Something I have noticed starting with Dr. Bob's list to Crazy Meds list and this list is while I encountered a number of persons with a lot of knowledge about psychopharmacology, most all of them were bad off, not finding any treatments that work. That is telling.

Even worse- I had a doc who put all the "heavy hitters" way in the back of his mind, eliminating the chance for quick rescues when things went wrong. He pushed zyprexa away like a million times in several conversations... As I promptly ended up in the hospital for mixed mania- low and behold they put me on ....wait for it...zyprexa ... And I started heading to stability. He also took away my Thorazine which was my best PRN cuz he again was afraid of the heavy stuff, and that's just a few examples. Your right about patience with the meds too...super important, again for patients and doctors...this was so tough for me in the beginning and I would push my pdoc so hard for more meds cuz I felt so shitty and I usually just ended up with side effects. 

• Like 2