CrazyBoards.org
Schlep

Teva brand clonazepam no longer an option. Help!

Was forced to switch from Teva brand clonazepam (.25 mg/day) to Actavis and I'm really going through hell. I'm very sensitive to meds and held off from taking the Actavis through use of some stockpiled Teva brand from two years ago. Two weeks ago I began suffering a gradually worsening anxiety episode after six years of not having any issues. A week in I began suspecting the expired clonazepam so I started the Actavis and the transition is not going smoothly. I just feel uncomfortably different on the stuff.

My current theory is that the anxiety probably developed as a result of the possible degraded potency of the expired Teva clonazepam. I'm also thinking that possibly the pills themselves could have triggered the anxiety (since when the anxiety hit I started taking more of the expired pills and just seemed to get worse.) Maybe one of the inactive ingredients went bad over time.  During my trials with Actavis clonazepam I experimented with a Teva pill from a slightly newer but still expired batch and experienced some kind of euphoria that eventually just developed into anxiety. As far as my reaction to the Actavis brand, I'm wondering if maybe I'm just feeling increased side effects from not having taken potent pills for so long. But there's still something different in the effect.

So now I'm looking for any kind of suggestions because things have gotten a little intolerable. I already spoke to an old pdoc, but there wasn't much he could do for me (my present doctor doesn't really take my anxiety issues seriously. Has anyone else had similar issues from expired medication or brand changes (especiialy benzos)? One alternative I'm looking at are the clonazepam wafers that Teva still apparently makes. Does the actual formula for the medication itself (and not just the inactive ingredients) vary from brand to brand? I'm also wondering if maybe I should switch to a different benzo. So is there anyone out there who's gone through a similar experience? 

To me This is a definite "call your doc now" situation. If only so you don't cause problems that take a long time to fix

1 hour ago, Schlep said:

Was forced to switch from Teva brand clonazepam (.25 mg/day) to Actavis and I'm really going through hell. 

Why were you forced to switch manufacturers?........Teva brand clonazepam tablets are still available....I recently got some from my pharmacy.....If your pharmacy doesn't carry the Teva tablets any longer, you could request them to order for you, or else find a pharmacy that does carry them.

As far as your current situation, I agree with Iceberg--Call your pdoc ASAP.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Teva recently purchased Activis and are now using Activis "recipe" (I guess) for clonazepam. The yellow .5 mg tablets have been discontinued, though some pharmacies may still have a stock of them (my Actavis substitution just occurred only 3 months ago.) You can check if your pill still matches what they're currently producing at https://www.tevagenerics.com/product/clonazepam-tablets-usp-civ. You can view the Actavis pill at https://www.drugs.com/imprints/r-33-10122.html. I'm wondering if I should consider Teva's clonazepam wafer, which they still seem to make. Maybe it's closer to the original tablet than the Actavis one. 

18 hours ago, Schlep said:

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Teva recently purchased Activis and are now using Activis "recipe" (I guess) for clonazepam. 

I concede, you are correct on this......I called my pharmacy, and they say that, starting this month, they are now carrying ACCORD generic clonazepam instead of TEVA........So I guess I will have to see how Accord works when I get my new fill in 10 days or so.

I read some reviews of Accord clonazepam and Activis clonazepam, and people have differing opinions--some say the Activis is better, some say the Accord works better---I guess it depends on the person.

So maybe you could try the Accord clonazepam and see if it's any better than the Activis for you?

I hate it when this happens, I have always taken the TEVA brand.....I am trying not to form an opinion on the Accord until I try it, so I guess I'll have to see how it goes.........**SIGH**

Just from a quick google, I found that a lot of people are complaining about TEVA doing this change.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Yes! I have gone through this. Right now I only take name brand Klonopin. I used to take Mylan and I loved it! unfortunately, they discontinued it.... so I was switched to Accord. Accord is pretty strong in my opinion. I take 1MG pills and have some accord left over. 

I'm trying a slightly higher dose and I think I'm beginning to feel a bit of the regular cloanzepam effect from the Actavis (and not just a rush of incredible fatigue.) The inactive ingredients are nearly identical between Teva and Actavis, but something is still making them work differently.

There's a lot of mixed opinions on the Accord. Will the the pharmacy let me switch my current pills for an alternative? I'm not sure when I'll be up to seeing the doctor. And I'm really curious how close the Teva wafer (the orally disintegrating tablet) is to the pill. A switch between two generic medications shouldn't be this devastating.   

1 hour ago, Schlep said:

There's a lot of mixed opinions on the Accord. Will the the pharmacy let me switch my current pills for an alternative? 

Your pharmacy should be able to switch your current pills, but your doc will need to write a new script and specify the Accord brand on the prescription....Even if they don't carry Accord, they should be able to order it for you......According to another member here, that I talked to, who tried Accord clonazepam, they said that the Accord were more potent than Teva brand for them.

Another option, which you mentioned above, would be to ask your doc about increasing your dose slightly, so the Activis would be more effective for you....Have you told your doc about the Activis not working as well as the Teva?

If all else fails, and you find that no generics work out for you, you could get your doc to write a script for name brand Klonopin.

Name brand Klon is pretty expensive, so your insurance company may require a prior authorization to cover it, in which your doc would have to explain to them that no generics work for you, and you have to get the name brand.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

3 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Your pharmacy should be able to switch your current pills, but your doc will need to write a new script and specify the Accord brand on the prescription....Even if they don't carry Accord, they should be able to order it for you......According to another member here, that I talked to, who tried Accord clonazepam, they said that the Accord were more potent than Teva brand for them.

Another option, which you mentioned above, would be to ask your doc about increasing your dose slightly, so the Activis would be more effective for you....Have you told your doc about the Activis not working as well as the Teva?

If all else fails, and you find that no generics work out for you, you could get your doc to write a script for name brand Klonopin.

Name brand Klon is pretty expensive, so your insurance company may require a prior authorization to cover it, in which your doc would have to explain to them that no generics work for you, and you have to get the name brand.

Not to alarm you, but a switch to Accord doesn't look too promising from what I've read; you might want to set up a plan B. I'm really surprised that I can't seem to find anyone who tried switching to the wafer. I'm doing a bit better than yesterday, and I'll see what happens with a .5 - .75 daily dose. I'd really like to sleep again...

30 minutes ago, Schlep said:

Not to alarm you, but a switch to Accord doesn't look too promising from what I've read; you might want to set up a plan B. 

Well, I've read mixed reviews on Accord and Actavis, some people seem satisfied with them, some don't......Some like one over the other.....There are very mixed opinions on both.......So I'm going to try out Accord, see what happens.....

If Accord doesn't work out, my pdoc will be hearing from me very quickly, and so will the pharmacy.....I have a small stash of leftover Teva to use in the meantime, if I have to.

If necessary, I know my pdoc will prescribe me the real deal, brand name Klonopin.....If I have to pay for it out of pocket the first time, I will.

Why did Teva do this?......Because they could.....:(

Edited by CrazyRedhead

I looked in the US FDA National Drug Code Directory for authorized generics of clonazepam, which means it would basically be just like brand name, but unfortunately, out of all the generic manufacturers, there are no authorized generic manufacturers. I was gonna rely on that being my input, but that fell through the bottom. I'm sorry. :( I hope your situation gets resolved ASAP.

15 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Well, I've read mixed reviews on Accord and Actavis, some people seem satisfied with them, some don't......Some like one over the other.....There are very mixed opinions on both.......So I'm going to try out Accord, see what happens.....

If Accord doesn't work out, my pdoc will be hearing from me very quickly, and so will the pharmacy.....I have a small stash of leftover Teva to use in the meantime, if I have to.

If necessary, I know my pdoc will prescribe me the real deal, brand name Klonopin.....If I have to pay for it out of pocket the first time, I will.

Why did Teva do this?......Because they could.....:(

How did the Accord brand work?  I take the Accord brand and have no problems with it.  I think alof of the problems I am reading here are from the mixture of the inactive ingredients, just a guess.  For example, I have an allergy to Iodine and therefore cannot take Povidone in the inactive ingredient.  However when I had to take a medication and the ingredient Povidone was last on the list of inactive ingredients, I did not have the usual reaction. 

15 hours ago, Schlep said:

Not to alarm you, but a switch to Accord doesn't look too promising from what I've read; you might want to set up a plan B. I'm really surprised that I can't seem to find anyone who tried switching to the wafer. I'm doing a bit better than yesterday, and I'll see what happens with a .5 - .75 daily dose. I'd really like to sleep again...

I'm okay on Accord.  I can't take any TEVA brands due to the inactive ingredient, Povidone which I am allergic to.  In fact, more brands I switch to while on Clonazapam, I have never had any reactions to.  I keep an excel spread sheet and keep up with the inactive ingredients just in case. 

On 10/16/2018 at 3:00 PM, Schlep said:

Was forced to switch from Teva brand clonazepam (.25 mg/day) to Actavis and I'm really going through hell. I'm very sensitive to meds and held off from taking the Actavis through use of some stockpiled Teva brand from two years ago. Two weeks ago I began suffering a gradually worsening anxiety episode after six years of not having any issues. A week in I began suspecting the expired clonazepam so I started the Actavis and the transition is not going smoothly. I just feel uncomfortably different on the stuff.

My current theory is that the anxiety probably developed as a result of the possible degraded potency of the expired Teva clonazepam. I'm also thinking that possibly the pills themselves could have triggered the anxiety (since when the anxiety hit I started taking more of the expired pills and just seemed to get worse.) Maybe one of the inactive ingredients went bad over time.  During my trials with Actavis clonazepam I experimented with a Teva pill from a slightly newer but still expired batch and experienced some kind of euphoria that eventually just developed into anxiety. As far as my reaction to the Actavis brand, I'm wondering if maybe I'm just feeling increased side effects from not having taken potent pills for so long. But there's still something different in the effect.

So now I'm looking for any kind of suggestions because things have gotten a little intolerable. I already spoke to an old pdoc, but there wasn't much he could do for me (my present doctor doesn't really take my anxiety issues seriously. Has anyone else had similar issues from expired medication or brand changes (especiialy benzos)? One alternative I'm looking at are the clonazepam wafers that Teva still apparently makes. Does the actual formula for the medication itself (and not just the inactive ingredients) vary from brand to brand? I'm also wondering if maybe I should switch to a different benzo. So is there anyone out there who's gone through a similar experience? 

The active formula for Clonazepam is not supposed to change, only the inactive ingredients do change on a regular basis.  I have been okay changing from different manufacturers as long as I am careful with what is in the inactive ingredients.

43 minutes ago, Dewey said:

How did the Accord brand work?  I take the Accord brand and have no problems with it.  

I haven't tried the Accord yet, but I'm due to refill my clonazepam next weekend, and my pharmacy tells me that they are now going to carry Accord, so that's what I'll be getting when I refill........

It's good to hear the Accord works for you........ I have taken TEVA clonazepam for the last 5 years, so that's what my system is used to......I'm just nervous that the Accord will not work for me the same as Teva.......I'm trying to keep an open mind, so I'm going to give the Accord a try and see how it goes.

When I fill it next weekend I'm going to report here if it's working for me or not......**Fingers crossed**......**SIGH**

@Schlep, I just called Teva generics, and they told me that they had numerous complaints about the Actavis version not working as well as their original TEVA version.

They also said that if they receive enough complaints, they may bring back their old "recipe"....Don't know if I believe them, but it's worth a try for you to call and complain that the Actavis isn't working well for you.....Here is page with the phone number:

https://www.tevagenerics.com/contact-us

7 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

@Schlep, I just called Teva generics, and they told me that they had numerous complaints about the Actavis version not working as well as their original TEVA version.

They also said that if they receive enough complaints, they may bring back their old "recipe"....Don't know if I believe them, but it's worth a try for you to call and complain that the Actavis isn't working well for you.....Here is page with the phone number:

https://www.tevagenerics.com/contact-us

Here is the webpage for the FDA and generics v brand name:  https://www.fda.gov/drugs/resourcesforyou/consumers/buyingusingmedicinesafely/genericdrugs/ucm167991.htm

This explains it a bit more and has more links to follow:  https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DevelopmentApprovalProcess/HowDrugsareDevelopedandApproved/ApprovalApplications/AbbreviatedNewDrugApplicationANDAGenerics/ucm126389.htm

Here is the listing of FDA approved Generics: https://www.fda.gov/downloads/AboutFDA/CentersOffices/OfficeofMedicalProductsandTobacco/CDER/UCM183605.pdf  Now, on this list I am not finding Klonopin or Clonazepam as being approved for Generics and this  list is approved for September 2018.  So, I wrote to the contact on the website and listed all my drugs to ask why they are not on the approved generic list.  Not to scare you, but not sure why Klonopin is not approved for generic use.

10 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Here is the listing of FDA approved Generics: https://www.fda.gov/downloads/AboutFDA/CentersOffices/OfficeofMedicalProductsandTobacco/CDER/UCM183605.pdf  Now, on this list I am not finding Klonopin or Clonazepam as being approved for Generics and this  list is approved for September 2018.  So, I wrote to the contact on the website and listed all my drugs to ask why they are not on the approved generic list.  Not to scare you, but not sure why Klonopin is not approved for generic use.

That's interesting.....I'm going to contact them myself about the Klonopin......Thanks for the links....:)

1 hour ago, CrazyRedhead said:

That's interesting.....I'm going to contact them myself about the Klonopin......Thanks for the links....:)

Good luck, keep us posted. When I hear back from the FDA why my meds are not on the acceptable list, will post here.

• Thanks 1