CrazyBoards.org

Teva brand clonazepam no longer an option. Help!

1 hour ago, CrazyRedhead said:

@Schlep, I just called Teva generics, and they told me that they had numerous complaints about the Actavis version not working as well as their original TEVA version.

They also said that if they receive enough complaints, they may bring back their old "recipe"....Don't know if I believe them, but it's worth a try for you to call and complain that the Actavis isn't working well for you.....Here is page with the phone number:

https://www.tevagenerics.com/contact-us

I wonder how many complaints are "enough complaints"? Maybe we should start a petition on change.org, or something. Maybe find a rogue Teva employee and convince them to put up a kickstarter to homebrew the old recipe themselves. How about we just flood their Twitter page with complaint bots?

Anyway, I spent 14 hours in bed and actually slept ten of them. I didn't feel the Actavis "kick in" the last two doses, so maybe your body just gets used to it. I think the anxiety is gone and now I'm just suffering from a deep depression. Is anhedonia a normal (and temporary) side effect when starting clonazepam? As I stated in my original post, taking the expired pills may have been the equivalent of stopping cold turkey, so this may veritably be like my first week on the drug.

1 hour ago, Schlep said:

I wonder how many complaints are "enough complaints"? Maybe we should start a petition on change.org, or something. Maybe find a rogue Teva employee and convince them to put up a kickstarter to homebrew the old recipe themselves. How about we just flood their Twitter page with complaint bots?

Anyway, I spent 14 hours in bed and actually slept ten of them. I didn't feel the Actavis "kick in" the last two doses, so maybe your body just gets used to it. I think the anxiety is gone and now I'm just suffering from a deep depression. Is anhedonia a normal (and temporary) side effect when starting clonazepam? As I stated in my original post, taking the expired pills may have been the equivalent of stopping cold turkey, so this may veritably be like my first week on the drug.

What is your dosage?

1 hour ago, Schlep said:

I think the anxiety is gone and now I'm just suffering from a deep depression. Is anhedonia a normal (and temporary) side effect when starting clonazepam? 

I personally didn't experience any depression when I started on clonazepam , but everyone's different......Like @Dewey mentioned above, maybe it depends on your dosage.

I wouldn't recommend taking any more expired pills, though.......Can you call your current pdoc and let him know the Actavis isn't working out?.........Maybe he could call in the wafers--they might be your best shot at this point.......I think I'm going to look into the wafers myself if the Accord isn't effective for me.

I'm about to do my change to Accord next weekend, so I will post about that....Not looking forward to changing, but what else can we do when they are literally not making it anymore.....:(

Yesterday was 1/2 a .50 pill in the morning and 3/4 in the evening. Today I took 1/2 more closer to the afternoon and may try just 1/2 of a pill this evening. I'm debating about maybe taking 1/4 spread out twice during the day and then 1/2 in the evening. My last normal Teva dosage was just 1/4 of a pill twice a day.

My old pdoc was sort of moved to an inaccessible location from me so I because I was stable I was getting my meds from my physician (who once openly mocked my anxiety.) I spoke to my old pdoc on the phone and he mentioned he had a one patient also having issues with the Teva switch. He invited me to see him one of the days he works at the psych emergency room, but I sort of have issues with travelling when I'm in this condition. 

I thought Benzos couldn't be called into a pharmacy, in my state at least (NY). Did that recently change? I'm pretty sure he gave me a paper rx for the Actavis benzos back in June.

57 minutes ago, Schlep said:

Yesterday was 1/2 a .50 pill in the morning and 3/4 in the evening. Today I took 1/2 more closer to the afternoon and may try just 1/2 of a pill this evening. I'm debating about maybe taking 1/4 spread out twice during the day and then 1/2 in the evening. My last normal Teva dosage was just 1/4 of a pill twice a day.

My old pdoc was sort of moved to an inaccessible location from me so I because I was stable I was getting my meds from my physician (who once openly mocked my anxiety.) I spoke to my old pdoc on the phone and he mentioned he had a one patient also having issues with the Teva switch. He invited me to see him one of the days he works at the psych emergency room, but I sort of have issues with travelling when I'm in this condition. 

I thought Benzos couldn't be called into a pharmacy, in my state at least (NY). Did that recently change? I'm pretty sure he gave me a paper rx for the Actavis benzos back in June.

As long as there is a cover sheet accompanying the fax or electronic exchange verifying the ordering physician, in my state, we do not need a paper rx.  What dosage you are taking is a good level.  When I increase my .5 mg to 1 mg I feel depressed the next day and I have been taking Clonazapam 30 years.  According to my psych doc, higher levels of Clonazepam can cause depression or worsen it.  So, I try to stay at .5 mg a day, only at night.

Due to my HMO putting limitations on a 30 day supply once a month, he increased my dosage so that I can stockpile the Clonazapem.  We are doing this in defense to my HMO taking 2 weeks to fill my prescription each month which causes me to go into withdrawals.  So, instead of ordering 30 tablets of .5 mg once a month to take once a day, he fills 60 tablets to take .5 mg twice a day, so I can stock pile the remaining 30 tablets should I need them and in the event my HMO slows way down my delivery.  The minute my psych doc increased my dosage to 60 tablets, my HMO was all over him for prescribing that much to me.  I am getting ready to get away from this HMO as they have given my psych doc a very difficult time lately with any of his psych meds.  I have written continuously to member services about this, but it falls on deaf ears, so my psych doc just keeps prescribing the 60 tablets and deals with their phone calls.

1 hour ago, Dewey said:

As long as there is a cover sheet accompanying the fax or electronic exchange verifying the ordering physician, in my state, we do not need a paper rx.  What dosage you are taking is a good level.  When I increase my .5 mg to 1 mg I feel depressed the next day and I have been taking Clonazapam 30 years.  According to my psych doc, higher levels of Clonazepam can cause depression or worsen it.  So, I try to stay at .5 mg a day, only at night.

Due to my HMO putting limitations on a 30 day supply once a month, he increased my dosage so that I can stockpile the Clonazapem.  We are doing this in defense to my HMO taking 2 weeks to fill my prescription each month which causes me to go into withdrawals.  So, instead of ordering 30 tablets of .5 mg once a month to take once a day, he fills 60 tablets to take .5 mg twice a day, so I can stock pile the remaining 30 tablets should I need them and in the event my HMO slows way down my delivery.  The minute my psych doc increased my dosage to 60 tablets, my HMO was all over him for prescribing that much to me.  I am getting ready to get away from this HMO as they have given my psych doc a very difficult time lately with any of his psych meds.  I have written continuously to member services about this, but it falls on deaf ears, so my psych doc just keeps prescribing the 60 tablets and deals with their phone calls.

Yes, my old pdoc always gave me 90 pills/month (enough for the maximum dosage.) My current round of clonazepam treatment began in 2012 w/ .5 mg 3X a day and I think was down to 2/6 of a pill when I last saw him. The 90 pills was a contingency because a situation could always arise when you need to take more. When it became more convenient to go to my medical doctor for meds I more or less said I was on one pill a day. I guess I just wanted to demonstrate my progress from the last time I saw him (and I had a stockpile of pills from my pdoc.) This year he seems to be freaking out about controlled meds saying the prescriptions "need to be very exact". I think I'm just going to say I need three pills a day when I next see him.

Twice in my like I've been on a clonazepam regimen (with the gap being about eight months) and always felt better with each tapered dosage. But it's just very hard (this time especially) to know where the underlying illness ends and the benzo side effects begin.   

Edit: Is there any place you can check prescription laws by state? I'm having trouble finding anything

Edited by Schlep

16 hours ago, Schlep said:

According to what I found here, doctors are allowed to electronically transmit a prescription to a pharmacy, for a controlled substance, in the state of New York:

http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/pharm/pharmelectrans.htm

Scroll down to question 17 on the page:...."May a controlled substance prescription be electronically transmitted?" 

Edited by CrazyRedhead

5 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

According to what I found here, doctors are allowed to electronically transmit a prescription to a pharmacy, for a controlled substance, in the state of New York:

http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/pharm/pharmelectrans.htm

Scroll down to question 17 on the page:...."May a controlled substance prescription be electronically transmitted?" 

Strange, since my doctors have always insisted on paper prescriptions for clonazepam. Maybe NYC has it's own restrictions (which wouldn't make any sense), or it's a pharmacy policy (CVS). 

1 hour ago, Schlep said:

Strange, since my doctors have always insisted on paper prescriptions for clonazepam. 

That's very interesting......Especially since I looked around and found this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/15/nyregion/new-york-to-discard-prescription-pads-and-doctors-handwriting-in-digital-shift.html

Apparently, beginning March 27, 2016......."New York was the first state to require that all prescriptions be created electronically, and to back up that mandate with penalties, including fines and imprisonment, for physicians who fail to comply......""  (Quote from article)

There are a few exceptions to this law...Doctors can still write a prescription by hand if the medication is going to be filled out of state, when there are technical problems, and when the prescription is written for something other than a medication, such as a brace or a wheelchair.

So, since March 2016, doctors have been required to send electronic prescriptions for all medications....That's the law in the state of New York, so I'm wondering how your doctors are getting around this law with paper scripts for the clonazepam.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

My last pdoc did all prescriptions on the computer sent directly to the pharmacy.  That included 3 months of Dexedrine and Klonopin.  They weren't refills, just in the system, on hold.  I didn't even have to call the pharmacy, they just filled them on the date she put them in for each month.  She had a little gadget that put out a code for her to put on the prescriptions so they knew it was from her and legit. 

My new pdoc wrote out all my scripts the first time I saw her.  I don't know if she uses the computer for scripts.

First Dr. I've ever seen that wrote the scripts in neat handwriting.  Must be because she is left handed and therefore of a significantly higher level of intellect. :lol:

2 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

That's very interesting......Especially since I looked around and found this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/15/nyregion/new-york-to-discard-prescription-pads-and-doctors-handwriting-in-digital-shift.html

Apparently, beginning March 27, 2016......."New York was the first state to require that all prescriptions be created electronically, and to back up that mandate with penalties, including fines and imprisonment, for physicians who fail to comply......""  (Quote from article)

There are a few exceptions to this law...Doctors can still write a prescription by hand if the medication is going to be filled out of state, when there are technical problems, and when the prescription is written for something other than a medication, such as a brace or a wheelchair.

So, since March 2016, doctors have been required to send electronic prescriptions for all medications....That's the law in the state of New York, so I'm wondering how your doctors are getting around this law with paper scripts for the clonazepam.

It's probably a tactic to force more face-t-face visits so he can increases his compensation. I'm pretty sure I remember getting a paper script back in July and giving it to someone at drop-off in the pharmacy (though I don't recall seeing a line there in a while.) He was certainly prescribing by paper all throughout 2017.

Anyway, I felt a nice boost from the Actavis last night, almost like a mania. Had to wait a while before going to sleep. (Good thing I only took 1/2 a pill.) Felt nothing with this morning's pill, but still feel a little better than yesterday. If you were having any sleep/dream issues with the Teva, the Actavis brand at least isn't going to improve them. 

2 hours ago, Schlep said:

It's probably a tactic to force more face-t-face visits so he can increases his compensation. I'm pretty sure I remember getting a paper script back in July and giving it to someone at drop-off in the pharmacy (though I don't recall seeing a line there in a while.) He was certainly prescribing by paper all throughout 2017.

Anyway, I felt a nice boost from the Actavis last night, almost like a mania. Had to wait a while before going to sleep. (Good thing I only took 1/2 a pill.) Felt nothing with this morning's pill, but still feel a little better than yesterday. If you were having any sleep/dream issues with the Teva, the Actavis brand at least isn't going to improve them. 

Have a close friend in NY who always got paper for benzos (well I think it was printed but a paper copy). I think some controlled substances require paper copy or maybe both 

14 hours ago, Schlep said:

Nope, no sleep issues with the Teva.....In fact the main reason I take the clonazepam is to go to sleep--I take my entire dose at bedtime, along with my Trazodone..........That's why I'm nervous about the changeover to Accord.........If I don't get enough sleep, it makes all my other conditions much worse.

I did hear from 2 other people here who have taken the Accord, (one of them still takes it), and they said it worked fine for them, so I'm hopeful..

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Nope, no sleep issues with the Teva.....In fact the main reason I take the clonazepam is to go to sleep--I take my entire dose at bedtime, along with my Trazodone..........That's why I'm nervous about the changeover to Accord.........If I don't get enough sleep, it makes all my other conditions much worse.

I did hear from 2 other people here who have taken the Accord, (one of them still takes it), and they said it worked fine for them, so I'm hopeful..

Did you always take it all at once at night? I'm trying to determine whether I should try increasing the dosage by spreading it out during the day or by keeping it more consolidated. 

Edited by Schlep

25 minutes ago, Schlep said:

Did you always take it all at once at night? I'm trying to determine whether I should try spreading the dosage out during the day or keep it more consolidated. 

Yes, I have always taken my entire 2mg dose at bedtime, because of my insomnia.......If I don't get enough sleep, everything goes to h*ll in a handbasket for me....

My former pdoc who started me on it said to take it like that so I could sleep better......Are you taking for sleep or for daytime anxiety coverage?.............I was told by my pdoc that there's no need to take clonazepam more than once a day, because it has such a long half-life.............

Of course, your pdoc may have a different opinion--how many times per day did doc tell you to take it?

Edited by CrazyRedhead

8 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Yes, I have always taken my entire 2mg dose at bedtime, because of my insomnia.......If I don't get enough sleep, everything goes to h*ll in a handbasket for me....

My former pdoc who started me on it said to take it like that so I could sleep better......Are you taking for sleep or for daytime anxiety coverage?.............I was told by my pdoc that there's no need to take clonazepam more than once a day, because it has such a long half-life.............

Of course, your pdoc may have a different opinion--how many times per day did doc tell you to take it?

Anxiety coverage and sleep are more or less the same for me. A "pdoc" (who wasn't really my pdoc, just someone I saw a few times in the process of getting on SSI) destroyed my life be recommending I replace nortriptyline with Lithium (which landed me in the emergency room.) After the resulting anxiety he prescribed clonazepam .5 3x/day for no set length of time. I was able to get off it in two years. Anxiety recurred less than a year later (which I believe were, unbeknownst to me at the time, due to mold), which forced me to gradually go back on the original dosage of clonazepam (and a few other things.) By last year I got it down to 1/4 of a pill at night, then some antibiotics destabilized everything and forced me to go to 1/4 of a pill twice a day. Now everything's back and I have about 20+ .5 pills of Actavis clonazepam to do anything I want with, I guess. My last real pdoc's approach was to pretty much try anything until you find something that works.

1 minute ago, Schlep said:

Now everything's back and I have about 20+ .5 pills of Actavis clonazepam to do anything I want with, I guess. My last real pdoc's approach was to pretty much try anything until you find something that works.

What is your current dosage per day?....Do you divide the dose?

44 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

What is your current dosage per day?....Do you divide the dose?

I've been sticking to 1/2 .5mg pill in the afternoon and between 1/2 to 3/4 of a pill at night, depending on how long I'm initially laying awake in bed. Sleeping has never been that great for me; I always woke up every two hours and then just go back to sleep. The nights on Actavis that I actually have slept seem like I'm waking up every 40 minutes, and the sleeping itself is just different (clonazepam does something to my dreams that is very hard to explain; Actavis is doing the same thing, but there's a different quality to it. I should also mention that my sleep while on clonazepam consists entirely of the REM stage.)

When absent of any active anxiety, I've always felt better the less clonazepam I'm on, which is why I'm reluctant to raise the dosage ( not to mention that it's a different brand with different effects.) I seem to be over a few of the side effects from the Actavis, and I'm wondering if that tolerance would transfer to a larger dose. And are these smaller doses just chipping away at the anxiety when a larger dose could eliminate it? 

11 minutes ago, Schlep said:

And are these smaller doses just chipping away at the anxiety when a larger dose could eliminate it? 

I am not a pdoc. but you are on a pretty low dose of clonazepam (less than 1mg/day)......

If this small dose is truly not effective for you, I would suggest talking to your doc and letting him know that.

In other words, don't just tell him you need a higher dose right off the bat--Just tell him that your current dose isn't effective, and see what he has to say first.