CrazyBoards.org

Schlep

Teva brand clonazepam no longer an option. Help!

6 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

@Schlep, just to let you know, took my first Accord clonazepam last night, and it worked just as well as the Teva for me.....So, Accord clonazepam might be worth a shot for you, if the wafers don't pan out.

My pharmacy said they didn't have any brands of than Actavis for pills. The real test is while you're suffering an extended anxiety episode. Actavis failed, while Teva always succeeded in alleviating the symptoms. I'm curious what would have happened if I just went straight to the Activis pills instead of letting things get out of control.

16 hours ago, Schlep said:

My pharmacy said they didn't have any brands of than Actavis for pills. 

The pharmacy could order the Accord for you, if you decide you want to try it.....

Edited by CrazyRedhead

The doctor can specify the manufacturer on the script. If the script also says "dispense as written" it must be filled with the manufacture listed. I have done a few of these, it helps to list more than one manufacturer that is acceptable, if possible. The market changes all the time and specific manufacturers may not be in stock. 

Well a week ago I decided to taper the actavis dosage down by .12 mg and stay on it a few days (my doctor didn't give me enough of the Teva wafers to last to my next appointment.) The first day the fatigue was gone, and I was back to normal a few days later (better than normal, since I didn't feel as tired on them as I did on Teva). Since things seemed to be going so well I decided I'd just stay on Actavis because I seemed to have adjusted to them. Then I had a panic attack today a few blocks from home. I haven't had a panic attack since 2012. And this was only about 20 minutes after taking my morning dosage of Actavis. So today I ended up taking my first .12 Teva wafer (which was somewhat difficult to open properly during a panic attack and ended up mostly crumbling), and felt the Teva work in about 15 minutes. This is definitely going to set me back... 

Every panic attack I've had in the past I thought I could trace to external factors (a few were triggered by Lithium; the rest were the results of long-term mold exposure.) The only thing I can trace this one is to the Actavis brand clonazepam, from which I've already experienced some unique side effects. Prior to this I was very comfortable with the thought of continuing with Actavis. I'm not sure if I should consider this as some sort of fluke (maybe I took the morning dose too late today?), or is this evidence that Teva will just work better for me? 

@Schlep, keep in mind that oral clonazepam tablets take about 45 minutes to an hour to  "kick in"....That's been my experience at least......So perhaps the Actavis clonazepam hadn't kicked in yet if you only took it 20 minutes before your panic attack........Taking the morning dose earlier would be worth a shot, IMO.

Another solution would possibly be taking the Actavis tabs for all day coverage, and taking the TEVA wafers for breakthrough panic attacks, since the wafers seem to act more rapidly......Something to talk to your doc about......

On 10/18/2018 at 11:15 AM, CrazyRedhead said:

I haven't tried the Accord yet, but I'm due to refill my clonazepam next weekend, and my pharmacy tells me that they are now going to carry Accord, so that's what I'll be getting when I refill........

It's good to hear the Accord works for you........ I have taken TEVA clonazepam for the last 5 years, so that's what my system is used to......I'm just nervous that the Accord will not work for me the same as Teva.......I'm trying to keep an open mind, so I'm going to give the Accord a try and see how it goes.

When I fill it next weekend I'm going to report here if it's working for me or not......**Fingers crossed**......**SIGH**

Just learned yesterday that Accord is not making Clonazapam, or my HMO is unable to fulfill the order due to Accord issues.  I find this happens around this time of year. 

I have just 10 pills left.  May have to go outside my HMO to regular pharmacies to see if they carry Clonazepam.

On 10/27/2018 at 4:01 PM, notloki said:

The doctor can specify the manufacturer on the script. If the script also says "dispense as written" it must be filled with the manufacture listed. I have done a few of these, it helps to list more than one manufacturer that is acceptable, if possible. The market changes all the time and specific manufacturers may not be in stock. 

I do the dance with the various manufacturers of Clonazepam.  Each month, I am forced to switch to another pharmaceutical company thru my HMO.  I wish I could get off of Clonazapem, but have been on it 30 years and the withdrawals are wicked.  Right now I am being told that Accord is out of Clonazepam. 

2 hours ago, Dewey said:

I have just 10 pills left.  May have to go outside my HMO to regular pharmacies to see if they carry Clonazepam.

@Dewey, Accord is not out of clonazepam..........I use a local CVS pharmacy, and they now carry Accord as their preferred generic...I got mine filled there just last week with Accord.......I also know that Walmart pharmacy carries the Accord clonazepam, so I would recommend calling up your local CVS  or Walmart  to start with.......Hope you can find some that way, at least.......

Edited by CrazyRedhead

6 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

@Schlep, keep in mind that oral clonazepam tablets take about 45 minutes to an hour to  "kick in"....That's been my experience at least......So perhaps the Actavis clonazepam hadn't kicked in yet if you only took it 20 minutes before your panic attack........Taking the morning dose earlier would be worth a shot, IMO.

Another solution would possibly be taking the Actavis tabs for all day coverage, and taking the TEVA wafers for breakthrough panic attacks, since the wafers seem to act more rapidly......Something to talk to your doc about......

Yeah... about the wafers. I took one last night before bedtime, and in a very short time I began to experience what could be described as "an uncomfortable stimulant rush". It didn't really develop into anxiety, but it prevented me from sleeping (and provided about an hour of weird sited-effects). I took .25 of the Actavis a few hours later and that seemed to help slightly. Definitely a paradoxical reaction to the wafer. Maybe due to new inactive ingredients, or my body is more used to the Actavis now. The Actavis hit me a bit harder when I took it this morning. 

It's possible that the panic attack may have been due to mold slowly building up in the yard outside my window (which was open the whole summer.) Now I'm a bit apprehensive about the use of the wafer if they persist. Maybe I should try Ativan.

Is a doctor allowed to write RX's for two different benzos on the same order/pick-up? And is taking two different benzos at the same time safe? I'm not even entirely sure if taking two different brands of the same med together is safe. 

Also, I'm wondering if it would be better to alter my current clonazepam regimen from .12 mg twice a day and .25 mg at bedtime to just two doses of .25 a day. Is a higher dose taken at once more powerful, or does it just last longer?

Edited by Schlep

13 minutes ago, Schlep said:

Yeah... about the wafers. I took one last night before bedtime, and in a very short time I began to experience what could be described as "an uncomfortable stimulant rush". It didn't really develop into anxiety, but it prevented me from sleeping (and provided about an hour of weird sited-effects). I took .25 of the Actavis a few hours later and that seemed to help slightly. Definitely a paradoxical reaction to the wafer. Maybe due to new inactive ingredients, or my body is more used to the Actavis now. The Actavis hit me a bit harder when I took it this morning. 

It's possible that the panic attack may have been due to mold slowly building up in the yard outside my window (which was open the whole summer.) Now I'm a bit apprehensive about the use of the wafer if they persist. Maybe I should try Ativan.

Is a doctor allowed to write RX's for two different benzos on the same order/pick-up? And is taking two different benzos at the same time safe? I'm not even entirely sure if taking two different brands of the same med together is safe. 

My doc has written my Xanax Xr and different dose Xanax ir on the same slip 

I have also gotten halcion (other benzo) in the same pharmacy trip as Xanax.

taking them together can be safe if done right, but it can build tolerance and lead to bad withdrawal issues 

I use CVS caremark mail order and was taking Mylan Klonopin but got switched to Teva Klonopin about a month ago. I was worried it wouldn't work as well for me.

I have noticed my anxiety has been more under control. But I chalked that up to starting Clozapine. Now I wonder if it was the Teva Klonopin that has been helping me more. I have 2 months left of it  I believe (I get 90 day supplies). I wonder what brand I'll get next time. I'm not sure exactly the timeframe because I don't manage my own medications. I'm just guestimating. 

15 hours ago, Schlep said:

Also, I'm wondering if it would be better to alter my current clonazepam regimen from .12 mg twice a day and .25 mg at bedtime to just two doses of .25 a day. Is a higher dose taken at once more powerful, or does it just last longer?

Yes, doctors are allowed to write for more than one benzo at a time.....I have seen folks here, for example, taking Klonopin for all day coverage, and also taking Xanax as needed for breakthrough panic attacks.

However, that doesn't mean all docs will do this....Every doc has their own opinion about benzos.

I am certainly not a doc, but I think that increasing your dose to a solid .5 clonazepam in the morning, and .5 at night, would be a better alternative than taking 2 types of benzos.....This is just my opinion, and something you would need to talk to doc about.

As @Iceberg said, the concern with taking 2 benzos is that it can cause tolerance  and withdrawal issues.

I don't know if your idea of taking .25mg twice a day, vs taking 12mg twice a day, and .25 once a day, will work or not......You can always give it a try and see.....But ultimately, it's going to be about the same amount of clonazepam per day..

Edited by CrazyRedhead

13 hours ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

I have noticed my anxiety has been more under control. But I chalked that up to starting Clozapine. Now I wonder if it was the Teva Klonopin that has been helping me more. I have 2 months left of it  I believe (I get 90 day supplies). I wonder what brand I'll get next time. I'm not sure exactly the timeframe because I don't manage my own medications. I'm just guestimating. 

Teva is no longer making clonazepam tablets, so my guess is that your next 90 day supply will be either Accord or Actavis....Those 2 seem to be the most available manufacturers for clonazepam......I have always used TEVA for the past five years, and just recently had to go on Accord, because the TEVA was no longer available.

The Accord brand seems to be working fine for me, However, I have never tried the the Actavis brand.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Thanks 1

On 11/3/2018 at 8:25 AM, CrazyRedhead said:

Yes, doctors are allowed to write for more than one benzo at a time.....I have seen folks here, for example, taking Klonopin for all day coverage, and also taking Xanax as needed for breakthrough panic attacks.

However, that doesn't mean all docs will do this....Every doc has their own opinion about benzos.

I am certainly not a doc, but I think that increasing your dose to a solid .5 clonazepam in the morning, and .5 at night, would be a better alternative than taking 2 types of benzos.....This is just my opinion, and something you would need to talk to doc about.

As @Iceberg said, the concern with taking 2 benzos is that it can cause tolerance  and withdrawal issues.

I don't know if your idea of taking .25mg twice a day, vs taking 12mg twice a day, and .25 once a day, will work or not......You can always give it a try and see.....But ultimately, it's going to be about the same amount of clonazepam per day..

Well my doctor just emphatically denied that controlled substances can be called in to a pharmacy. Only have a few pills left, hopefully I'll make it to my appointment tomorrow. I'll probably try .25 mg three times a day.

20 minutes ago, Schlep said:

Well my doctor just emphatically denied that controlled substances can be called in to a pharmacy.

I think that depends on the state.

On 11/3/2018 at 8:25 AM, CrazyRedhead said:

Took .25mg of Actavais clonazepam this morning (instead of dividing it) now it's around 6pm and I've been starting to feel really crappy, like a borderline panic situation (and I'm still feeling the effects of the pill) . I wondering if I should I continue taking it?

13 hours ago, Schlep said:

I wondering if I should I continue taking it?

That would be something you need to talk about with your doc, IMO......

On 11/4/2018 at 10:47 AM, jt07 said:

I think that depends on the state.

Pharmacy laws are set by state by the Board of Pharmacy but cannot be less restrictive than the Federal.

Here is a response from "Authorized Generics", sent away for some research for you, hope this helps :

""Thank you for your email. The September 2018 listing, and quarterly updates to the listing, refer only to Authorized Generic products that are marketed under the authority of an approved New Drug Application (NDA).  Generic products are marketed under an Abbreviated New Drug Application (ANDA). The following webpage provides background information on the difference between an authorized generic and generic:

https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DevelopmentApprovalProcess/HowDrugsareDevelopedandApproved/ApprovalApplications/AbbreviatedNewDrugApplicationANDAGenerics/ucm126389.htm

Authorized Generics Team ""

• Thanks 1