CrazyBoards.org

Anyone dealt with nasal congestion as a med side effect recently?  I thought I was getting a cold, but I don't have any of the other symptoms that come with a cold and it's listed as a fairly common side effect for my new medication (fanapt).  I like it so far, so I'd rather not stop it because of something like this...but not being able to breathe through my nose is going to make certain things harder if I can't find a fix.  Anyone have one?

Well, to answer the question, no, I don’t have that s/e, my meds haven’t changed for quite a while. But, geographically, we’re fairly close together, could it be allergies? The unprecedented amount of rain and humidity esp late summer this year has really driven up mold/mildew pollens. It’s been kicking my ass lately. I use the 12 hour afrin allergy nose spray so I can breathe, but it’s no fun getting addicted to it. Maybe that could be a short term help? Hopefully if it is a s/e, it’ll lessen with time and tolerance. 

If you’re sure it isn’t allergies, I’d start with saline spray which should clear things up nicely, before trying allergy sprays that can have undesirable side effects. I had a runny nose since starting Viibryd and it’s better since the saline spray. 

thanks all! can't say I've heard of the brain eating ameoba.  eek. 

I'm pretty sure that it's med-related rather than allergies because it times perfectly with when I started the drug and got progressively worse as i increased the dosage.  I'm hoping that it goes away.  I also take an antihistamine daily (plus sometimes benadryl with sleep) and get allergy shots.  Otherwise, allergies would definitely make sense as a guess.  I just took a shower and feel a ton better, so I'll add that to the list of remedies.  Saline sounds like a good starting point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dancesintherain said:

thanks all! can't say I've heard of the brain eating ameoba.  eek. 

I'm pretty sure that it's med-related rather than allergies because it times perfectly with when I started the drug and got progressively worse as i increased the dosage.  I'm hoping that it goes away.  I also take an antihistamine daily (plus sometimes benadryl with sleep) and get allergy shots.  Otherwise, allergies would definitely make sense as a guess.  I just took a shower and feel a ton better, so I'll add that to the list of remedies.  Saline sounds like a good starting point. 

https://www.nj.com/atlantic/index.ssf/2018/10/brain-eating_amoeba_that_killed_nj_man_likely_came_from_texas_water_park.html

1 hour ago, dancesintherain said:

eek.  definitely don't want to squirt that up my nose.  thanks for the catch.

no prob. I've found the neti pot to be markedly superior to nasal sprays. just be safe if you do use one.

it does take some time to get used to it as the few times it sort of feels like you're drowning a bit.

So I got a NeilMed bottle approach thing, which I think is the same general concept as a netipot.  I'm trying to figure out if I can include regular saline rather than the mixture of the packet and water.  I can't find that anywhere online, which makes me hesitant.  Do you have any experience with that? 

Thanks for the head's up about the drowning.  I definitely had that happen.  I forgot about that whole keeping your mouth open and breathing out portion of the program. 

52 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

So I got a NeilMed bottle approach thing, which I think is the same general concept as a netipot.  I'm trying to figure out if I can include regular saline rather than the mixture of the packet and water.  I can't find that anywhere online, which makes me hesitant.  Do you have any experience with that? 

Thanks for the head's up about the drowning.  I definitely had that happen.  I forgot about that whole keeping your mouth open and breathing out portion of the program. 

Saline could work. Just needs to be isotonic 

sorry LFA, I didn't realize you posted a reply.  No fun.

I don't think the neti-pot like thing is going to work.  I can't remember how to do it well enough so that I don't feel like drowning (I recognize this doesn't happen if you do it correctly, but I am pretty uncoordinated) and I almost drowned as a child so it's causing flashbacks.  Better to avoid and try snorting saline normally...and if that doesn't work, look into medication, though I'd hate to do it.