CrazyBoards.org

4 AP’s. Blue lips and trouble breathing! Am I going to die?

I don’t know what to do. I am on 4 AAP’s. Invega, seroquel xr, abilify, and clozapine. All at high or decent doses. Add klonopin to the list. 

Well the problem is I’m having trouble breathing. I’m coughing during the day just to catch my breath. I feel like an elephant is stepping on my chest. 

At bedtime when I take all my meds practically, I wake up choking and coughing and coughing until it passes and then I pass out asleep again. This wakes husband up and myself as well. And now my lips are blue ish in the morning. So I definitely think I’m not getting enough oxygen during the nighttime when I’m asleep. 

I feel the combo of meds I’m on now is dangerous for my health. My pdoc says it will take a year to get off 2 of my other AAP’s and speaks as though she wants me to remain on seroquel xr with the clozapine which I find ridiculous and redundant. 

Help. I’m afraid of going to bed even tonight! I fear I may die. 

Edited by Wonderful.Cheese

17 minutes ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

Well I don’t know. I don’t mean to sound all worked up but if my lips are blue isn’t that a bad sign? I don’t know maybe I’ll be fine. I’m sorry. 

I agree with @Iceberg on this one.  If you have blue lips, that's not normal.  I would go to ER on this one.

• Thanks 1

It was true that I was too sedated to drive last night. Husband was out until 1 AM at least I think. I guess I could have called 911 but I felt dumb because nothing had happened yet that evening, my lips were not a bit blue and the bad coughing and choking had not begun yet either. I passed out asleep in like 5 minutes or so after my last post.

I couldn’t wear my CPAP mask because the coughing was way worse with it on. Which highly confuses me. So last night I slept without it. I still woke up choking but I didn’t get blue lips this morning. I guess I need to call my sleep dr in addition to my pdoc today. 

It just makes me mad that no one is taking me seriously. I texted husband all this and he is not concerned. Just follow dr’s orders. Ugh. 

What could the ER do for me? Wouldn’t they just admit me to the psych hospital ward? My birthday is in 9 days. Ugh. :( I don’t want to spend another birthday IP. But I guess if I have to, then I have to. What a mess. 

• Like 2

The ER would give you oxygen and see if they could figure out the cause.  I don't see it as being a psych admit, though I could be wrong since sometimes they are just cautious when it comes to people with psych stuff. 

it's really important, though, cheese.  These are scary symptoms/side effects.  This isn't a "wait for someone to listen" sort of problem...this is a call 911 for an ambulance even if they aren't telling you to sort of problem. 

• Thanks 1

I can’t imagine this turning into an ip psych visit. You’re not wanting to harm yourself, which I thought was a prerequisite, but I may be wrong... what would they do for your blue lips in there? This seems purely physical to me. 

I would definitely call your pdoc as well as your gp. It could be anything. 

Edited by DammitJanet
  • Thanks 1

These are serious side effects..

I'd get a hold of your pdoc..

As well as go to the hospital..

It's scary to think you're going through this..

Not enough oxygen is pretty serious..

I hate to think of you in this state..

Please get help..

• Thanks 1

I pretty much agree with everyone else.....Please go to ER ASAP........Although I'm not a doc, blue lips might mean you aren't getting enough oxygen, and that's a serious problem.

If you go to the hospital because of these breathing problems, I'm fairly sure they wouldn't admit you to psych ward, because now you're having serious PHYSICAL symptoms.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Thanks 1

So, I contacted my pdoc’s nurse and my sleep dr this morning. I told them everything that has been happening, including telling the sleep dr’s receptionist about the drooling which was embarrassing.

Sleep dr called and said to go get fitted for a different style of mask. So now I have a CPAP mask that goes over my nose only and a chin strap to keep my mouth mostly shut. Because the nose only mask without a chin strap makes it so if you were to open your mouth at night you’d wake up gasping for air. What a mess. I have 30 days to try it then exchange if I don’t like it.

Also, Husband had reminded me that I get fall allergies. Which I think is part or most of this coughing business. I think “gunk” is constantly draining down my throat to my lungs, causing the constant clearing my throat and coughing. Because when I wake up coughing it doesn’t stop until I really can clear my throat really well. We got me some generic Claritin, so fingers crossed.

So then, Pdoc’s nurse called me back actually. She didn’t seem concerned really nor did she make it sound like pdoc was concerned. She was glad I am using a CPAP for sure. I think she thought I had untreated sleep apnea. I told her I got some generic allergy pills and she also thought that could be the cause of this whole mess. I still wanted to start coming off of some of my other AAP’s, but she made it seem like that was a definite no go. I feel like I have no voice. I just want off these other AAP’s so I can try a higher monotherapy dose of the clozapine in a split daily dose. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

So, I contacted my pdoc’s nurse and my sleep dr this morning. I told them everything that has been happening, including telling the sleep dr’s receptionist about the drooling which was embarrassing.

Sleep dr called and said to go get fitted for a different style of mask. So now I have a CPAP mask that goes over my nose only and a chin strap to keep my mouth mostly shut. Because the nose only mask without a chin strap makes it so if you were to open your mouth at night you’d wake up gasping for air. What a mess. I have 30 days to try it then exchange if I don’t like it.

Also, Husband had reminded me that I get fall allergies. Which I think is part or most of this coughing business. I think “gunk” is constantly draining down my throat to my lungs, causing the constant clearing my throat and coughing. Because when I wake up coughing it doesn’t stop until I really can clear my throat really well. We got me some generic Claritin, so fingers crossed.

So then, Pdoc’s nurse called me back actually. She didn’t seem concerned really nor did she make it sound like pdoc was concerned. She was glad I am using a CPAP for sure. I think she thought I had untreated sleep apnea. I told her I got some generic allergy pills and she also thought that could be the cause of this whole mess. I still wanted to start coming off of some of my other AAP’s, but she made it seem like that was a definite no go. I feel like I have no voice. I just want off these other AAP’s so I can try a higher monotherapy dose of the clozapine in a split daily dose. 

I asked a while back but since your now getting more on the clozaril, when exactly is his opinion on when to taper? 

I understand he wants a smooth transition but clearly this is getting to be pretty rough on you...

• Like 1