CrazyBoards.org

Highest dose of Nortriptyline

I've been on Nortriptyline for about 26 years. My initial dosage was 200mg (4 50mg pills) at night. That continued for at least four or five years. Then it was reduced to 150mg at some point. Eventually I was alternating between 100mg and 150mg a day (an extra pill every other day). Once I got it down 20 100mg; things got bad and I ended up back to alternating the 100/150mg. Had a few issues since then and it's currently at 150mg a night (along with a benzo). Things are going a bit downhill and I'm thinking of alternating 150/200mg a night. Is 200mg considered an unusually high dosage, taking into account that my only other med is a benzo at a low dosage (around .5mg clonazepam (1/2 mg). Anyone here who started out nortriptyline or another tricyclic at 200mg or higher? 

34 minutes ago, Schlep said:

Is 200mg considered an unusually high dosage, taking into account that my only other med is a benzo at a low dosage (around .5mg clonazepam (1/2 mg). 

In the past, I tried nortriptyline at a very small dose just for sleep, can't remember exact dose, I think it was either 10-25mg.

According to what I found from various sources, 150mg/day is now considered the maximum recommended dosage.   https://www.drugs.com/dosage/nortriptyline.html

So, yes, 200mg nortriptyline would be considered a high dosage.......Have you consulted your pdoc about it?

Edited by CrazyRedhead

18 hours ago, Schlep said:

He's the one who recommended going to the steady 150mg from alternating. I mentioned increasing to 200mg a few times in the past, but didn't think it was necessary. I survived 200mg in the past and I'm just sort of desperate...

If you have been taking nortriptyline for 26 years, there is a definite possibility that it's not as effective for you as it once was.

Sometimes ADs (antidepressants) stop working as well, especially after taking one for a long period of time, and people have to switch.......I have switched ADs quite a few times over the years.

Have you ever considered or tried any other ADs ?.......It might possibly be time to discuss trying another AD with your doc......Just a suggestion......

Edited by CrazyRedhead

2 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

If you have been taking nortriptyline for 26 years, there is a definite possibility that it's not as effective for you as it once was.

Sometimes ADs (antidepressants) stop working as well, especially after taking one for a long period of time, and people have to switch.......I have switched ADs quite a few times over the years.

Have you ever considered or tried any other ADs ?.......It might possibly be time to discuss trying another AD with your doc......Just a suggestion......

I tried switching to Prozac when it first came out somewhere within my first year of taking Nortriptyline but it didn't work out. I heavily discussed this with my pdoc a number of years ago during a case of suspected Notriptyline dysfunction. I tried amitriptyline, but couldn't make it through the first day. I'm certain the withdrawal effects would be disastrous if I ever attempted a change.