CrazyBoards.org

I already had IBS prior to this med...but needed to try it, as nothing else was working. 

My fears came true, stomach got even worse, and I mean bad! I bought peppermint pills last week when I read “IBSgaurd” was supposed to be really helpful. I couldn’t afford name brand, so bought what I thought was the same ingredient, but generic. 

Unless IBSgaurd was going to do this as well, as an adverse reaction which I’m quite used to...or this generic isn’t the same thing. It has tripled my issues. All of them. 

Causes extreme heartburn, intractable diarrhea, massive spasming...the only thing is, is it is the only thing to date that makes me feel full all day long! This is huge, cause my weight gain is extremely troubling due to recent recovery from my ED. 

So, in order to safely go to sleep last night, I ended up having to take I believe 12 lomotil! And nexium never did end up helping which never happens...yes, I realize you’re not supposed to take more than a couple of lomotil at a time, but I’m out of Imodium, waiting on more from Amazon. And Bentyl, seems to cause me pretty bad irritability! Not common, but is possible in known side effects. 

I’m so sensitive to psych side effects of medications! The xifaxan did me in after 3 days as well! Fell into a deep depression after the 3rd day and gp refused to accept the possibility that the drug caused it! Even though in the physician paperwork under psych side effects depression, insomnia, anxiety ar all listed side effects! This ended up in us firing each other. Sad, cause I really liked her prior to that, but she has shown bias with mental illness in the past which was upsetting. 

So I’m asking, begging, for ideas, personal meds you use that work, things you’ve heard of, any ideas whatsoever that could help me with my stomach problems! 

I do plan on ditching the peppermint pills today, even though I’m dreading my appetite going through the roof again...Viibryd isn’t supposed to do that, but I have a high propensity to experience paradoxical reactions! 

Sadly, the xifaxan was working like a miracle...but the depression scared the absolute shit out of me! Viibryd has gotten me better than I have been in over 20 years, at least! Was scared that was gone for good. I asked her for a new/different antibiotic that could do similar and she refused saying that others were even more dangerous. GRRRR

Quitting Viibryd isn’t really an option, as I’ve never had an AD work so well!

Edit: strangely, I did a search here on CB for bentyl, and nothing came up! I know I’ve seen a couple of people talk about it in the past!

Help?

Edited by DammitJanet

37 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:

So I’m asking, begging, for ideas, personal meds you use that work, things you’ve heard of, any ideas whatsoever that could help me with my stomach problems! 

I have occasional bouts of heartburn, but when I get heartburn attacks, I don't take a pill, I simply eat a cup or two of plain yogurt, and the heartburn goes away within a few minutes.....

Also, probiotics could help with your other IBS symptoms,  but it needs to be a high quality probiotic.......If you go to a natural foods store or a Vitamin Shoppe store, they can help you pick a good brand....The higher quality brands are more expensive.......But it's certainly worth a try, IMO.

If you do decide to try a probiotic it might take a little time to work, but it's worth it when it does.

You could also try Metamucil......Ironically it can help with diarrhea by adding more fiber to your diet.

Just some suggestions.....

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

I have occasional bouts of heartburn, but when I get heartburn attacks, I don't take a pill, I simply eat a cup or two of plain yogurt, and the heartburn goes away within a few minutes.....

Also, probiotics could help with your other IBS symptoms,  but it needs to be a high quality probiotic.......If you go to a natural foods store or a Vitamin Shoppe store, they can help you pick a good brand....The higher quality brands are more expensive.......But it's certainly worth a try, IMO.

If you do decide to try a probiotic it might take a little time to work, but it's worth it when it does.

You could also try Metamucil......Ironically it can help with diarrhea by adding more fiber to your diet.

Just some suggestions.....

Thanks again for the suggestions. 

Unfortunately, I can’t afford probiotics that are worth anything. I only clear 800/mo. 

I’ll give the Metamucil, though I do eat a couple of apples a day. Anything is worth a shot!

I am pretty sure the heartburn will solve itself when I stop the peppermint pills, as it’s only become this severe since starting that. 

I also eat 2 of those little cups of Greek yogurt per day, so at least I am getting a few probiotics!

8 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:

Thanks again for the suggestions. 

Unfortunately, I can’t afford probiotics that are worth anything. I only clear 800/mo. 

I’ll give the Metamucil, though I do eat a couple of apples a day. Anything is worth a shot!

I am pretty sure the heartburn will solve itself when I stop the peppermint pills, as it’s only become this severe since starting that. 

I also eat 2 of those little cups of Greek yogurt per day, so at least I am getting a few probiotics!

Yes, eating the yogurt is good.....Hope the Metamucil helps......BTW, I couldn't afford those high-end probiotics, either.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Yes, eating the yogurt is good.....Hope the Metamucil helps......BTW, I couldn't afford those high-end probiotics, either.

Do you happen to know the way to take the Metamucil so that it helps diarrhea instead of causing it?

57 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:

Do you happen to know the way to take the Metamucil so that it helps diarrhea instead of causing it?

Usually it comes in a powder that mixes with water, and then you drink it......Been awhile since I've used it, but I think it comes in orange flavored or plain......Has instructions on how much powder to use.....

1 minute ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Usually it comes in a powder that mixes with water, and then you drink it......Been awhile since I've used it, but I think it comes in orange flavored or plain......Has instructions on how much powder to use.....

Ok, thanks 

16 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:

Ok, thanks 

Okay, just found some out some details on dosage......You can take 1/2 to 2  teaspoons Metamucil with 8oz of water.......I would suggest starting out at the lower amount and go up if needed.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Thanks 1

I'm not familiar with this area of symptomology or medications for it, but have you considered Bentyl? Maybe nortriptyline as an augmenting agent? They're commonly used for IBS-D symptoms, which seems like what you have.

A little note of info, Viibryd is commonly noted for its GI issues, and as such is commonly used for patients with depression with comorbid IBS-C symptoms.

2 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

I'm not familiar with this area of symptomology or medications for it, but have you considered Bentyl? Maybe nortriptyline as an augmenting agent? They're commonly used for IBS-D symptoms, which seems like what you have.

A little note of info, Viibryd is commonly noted for its GI issues, and as such is commonly used for patients with depression with comorbid IBS-C symptoms.

Yep I did say I already had ibs prior, and that I cannot take bentyl cause of irritability, and though viibryd causes gi sx that I cannot go off it cause it’s the one AD that has worked. 

Thanks 

1 minute ago, DammitJanet said:

Yep I did say I already had ibs prior, and that I cannot take bentyl cause of irritability, and though viibryd causes gi sx that I cannot go off it cause it’s the one AD that has worked. 

Thanks 

Oh, I'm sorry! I skipped that part of your post. I have terrible reading comprehension!

• Like 1

Have you tried Dramamine? I had a similar issue w Trintellix...had pill traumatic disorder just from looking at Trintellix pills, but the effects were amazing. My doctor also said that if I needed to use that med again we could try compounding it...grinding it up and mixing it w something or other so that it entered my system at a different location in the gut. Most insurances dont cover compounded meds, but some do, and it's possible that they might cover one that's a compounded version of an already approved med, esp if your doctor prescribes it. 

Just now, ClaudiaP said:

Have you tried Dramamine? I had a similar issue w Trintellix...had pill traumatic disorder just from looking at Trintellix pills, but the effects were amazing. My doctor also said that if I needed to use that med again we could try compounding it...grinding it up and mixing it w something or other so that it entered my system at a different location in the gut. Most insurances dont cover compounded meds, but some do, and it's possible that they might cover one that's a compounded version of an already approved med, esp if your doctor prescribes it. 

For diarrhea?

Funny...became anemic and now having to take iron, it seems to have slowed everything way down.. ? 

I'm sitting on the pot right now...

I have always had good luck with the peppermint tabs.

I would say peptobismo, applesauce, bananas, and also this drink called kombucha.

It's loaded with probiotics. Takes some getting used to the flavor. Google it.

I hope you feel better soon 

18 minutes ago, deeschmee said:

I'm sitting on the pot right now...

I have always had good luck with the peppermint tabs.

I would say peptobismo, applesauce, bananas, and also this drink called kombucha.

It's loaded with probiotics. Takes some getting used to the flavor. Google it.

I hope you feel better soon 

Not any of that worked for me, but just started taking iron and no more problems. Magic. 

• Like 1