CrazyBoards.org

I can still move up to 120mg on Cymbalta, but I don't like it so far.  I've had a lot of nasty side effects, and generally just well sickly.

I need an AD that works just as well as Effexor or at least similarly ?  Does anyone have any ideas....anyone stop taking Effexor and find they did well on another Antidepressant?

I'm gonna go see my PDoc here this week...

Tried Lexapro, Luvox, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta

Edited by BrianOCD

12 minutes ago, BrianOCD said:

I can still move up to 120mg on Cymbalta, but I don't like it so far.  I've had a lot of nasty side effects, and generally just well sickly.

I need an AD that works just as well as Effexor or at least similarly ?  Does anyone have any ideas....anyone stop taking Effexor and find they did well on another Antidepressant?

I'm gonna go see my PDoc here this week...

well sounds like ur in the SNRI class

i think the only other ones besides effexor or cymbalta are pristiq and fetzima

unless u wanna try an SSRI or something different

37 minutes ago, looking for answers said:

well sounds like ur in the SNRI class

i think the only other ones besides effexor or cymbalta are pristiq and fetzima

unless u wanna try an SSRI or something different

I think my problem is more serotonin.  Cymbalta didn't hit the serotonin part of me like I had hoped, and not at all like Effexor did....

Another question I'm pondering is, is there hope after Effexor?  I know Effexor is quite a powerful Serotonin drug...

56 minutes ago, BrianOCD said:

I think my problem is more serotonin.  Cymbalta didn't hit the serotonin part of me like I had hoped, and not at all like Effexor did....

Another question I'm pondering is, is there hope after Effexor?  I know Effexor is quite a powerful Serotonin drug...

theres many options out there.........not all have to be an AD. again, for me, it too lithium to pull me from the depths of hell........

and theres still so many drugs out there, and drug combinations out there.........theres some SSRI's that just blast serotonin

1 hour ago, looking for answers said:

theres many options out there.........not all have to be an AD. again, for me, it too lithium to pull me from the depths of hell........

and theres still so many drugs out there, and drug combinations out there.........theres some SSRI's that just blast serotonin

I feel like that's what I need, although I've been up and down all year, so it's hard to know where I am anymore...

How was the Lexapro? If it worked well for you, you might want to give Celexa (citalopram) a try. Theoretically, it should be the same as Lexapro, but I found them to be different. Celexa works for me much better than Lexapro. YMMV on that though.

It looks like you haven't tried Zoloft yet. It's another SSRI. A newer SSRI is Vibryd.

Then thee are the tricyclics.

Also, Remeron below 30 mg affects mainly serotonin.

I liked Effexor the most too - have never tried Pristiq or Fetzima, which are also SNRIs & the most similar (but people say SNRIs are more activating & I thought they hit more nor-adrenaline / dopamine versus Serotonin?)

Citalopram hits Serotonin mainly, and if you have anxiety, it's a good choice, low side effect profile (for most). The main issue I had with it, was a bit too much lethargy / apathy / low energy. It really killed the deep depression / sadness though! Prozac (often given for OCD) is similar to Citalopram also.

Pristiq is basically the same as Effexor, it's just venlafaxine's major metabolite. I say give that a go if serotonergic + noradrenergic ADs have worked for you in the past. If that doesn't work, there is Fetzima, if you have decent insurance. Though I have read Fetzima hits norepinephrine more so than serotonin.

Have you considered possibly augmenting your antidepressant with an atypical antipsychotic such as Abilify or Rexulti? I trust those two more than other AAPs as they are more modern and unique in mechanism compared to the other AAPs. You could also try combing two antidepressants; I have been on Prozac for 4 years and I needed a little boost that I did not get from a dose increase, and adding a low dose of Wellbutrin XL has helped tremendously.

May I ask why you don't just go back on Effexor? I would really recommend Prozac + Wellbutrin XL. Don't be afraid to augment with Abilify or Rexulti either. There are so many options out there, if I were you I would go back to Effexor since you did have success with it, and add on Wellbutrin XL, Abilify, or Rexulti if it isn't helping as much as you need.

Edited by icygrave
  • Like 1

@BrianOCD

Viibryd, Zoloft, trintellix, celexa, Prozac, lamictal (maybe even? It is generally a mood stabilizer good for bipolar depression), fetzima, pristiq, Remeron, latuda (also used for bipolar depression), a stimulant, lithium (another mood stabilizer used off label for depression at times), abilify, rexulti, symbyax, etc .

Those are some ones I looked up or thought of off the top of my head. And yes, there are also the tricyclic antidepressants and MAOI’s too. But my old pdoc steered clear of those older ones because of the higher side effect profile. Ymmv of course. I’m not knocking those classes of meds at all. Just relaying info from a pdoc I had. 

Personally, I’ve only tried lamictal, latuda, stimulants, abilify, and zyprexa (minus the Prozac, which makes it symbyax....so technically I’ve never tried symbyax). I want to try trintellix but my current pdoc won’t let me touch anything that could spark mania. I’m pretty prone to manic reactions. But if you have any questions about the ones I’ve been on or am on please ask away! 

Edited by Wonderful.Cheese

@BrianOCD

Oh I feel your frustration even though our situations differ. I got manic and they blamed the Effexor that I’d been on for years and they yanked that away from me cold turkey. Not fun. Brain zaps, dizziness, the works. Now I can’t have any AD at all. It doesn’t make any sense to me. They then told me to try the light therapy box. (Which also made me zippy). Ymmv. 

But I was thinking if you haven’t tried one yet, a non med option is a light therapy box. Not saying that you don’t need a new AD. Because you do need a new AD. But this light therapy could supplement your new AD if your pdoc allows it. 

I can’t seem to find the one that I have. I was going to give you the link. Must be an older model. It was a Verilux though. I think I paid $80 or so? Now mine sits in our closet rotting away because it makes me hypomanic crazy I can’t use it. I’m pretty mad about that. I even have an extra light bulb and extra screen. My old pdoc swore by them. He never warned me about a possible hypomanic reaction. But then again I was using it longer than prescribed. I felt so good! 

Ugh. Anyway, ymmv again. Good luck with whatever you decide! 

• Thanks 1