CrazyBoards.org

Do I dare use my light box therapy again? Previous attempts have made me too geared up and even hypomanic the last time I used it for too long per day. It took a lot for my treatment team to actually get me to stop using it because I felt oh so very on top of the world when I had previously been depressed. I lost insight and got the works with all the bad effects of mania that appear usually in my life.

I’m not depressed currently but I want to stay ahead of the game with this damn daylight savings time. It’s already dark out right now pretty much. I just feel like going to bed.

I couldn’t bring myself to do anything today except lay in bed, listening to the voices. I just want to stay on top of things. 

Plus I'm on 4 antipsychotics currently, what could go wrong? Right? I don’t know if my pdoc would remember what happened with the light therapy or not. I don’t know if I should tell her or not. I see her in 5 days. 

On 11/4/2018 at 5:28 PM, sbdivemaster said:

I'm going to vote no.

The last time was not pretty.  When you see doc, if you are going to ask about it, please give them full run down of what happened last time.

On 11/4/2018 at 6:14 PM, dancesintherain said:

I'm going to ditto sbdivemaster.

I also think long-term speaking, if you want to get off some of the AAPs (which makes sense, don't get me wrong), doing something that could risk having to use their potential to cover mania would risk dragging you in the opposite direction. 

On 11/4/2018 at 11:32 PM, Gatorgirl said:

I think you should consult with your treatment team first, especially if you aren’t even depressed currently. But if you do start feeling that depression creeping up at least you have your light box and you know it works!

Ok ok ok. Thanks for knocking some sense into me. It’s just hard when it’s pitch black outside and it’s 5 pm. It gets to a person, you know? In the upstairs closet the light box shall remain. 

Yes, remember the trouble it caused you before. But personally I find just increasing the light level in my house helps. Lots of high wattage and many lamps on, I avoid dimly lit rooms. And for a while I used a daylight simulator alarm clock to wake up to. No it’s not a light box but increasing the light level helps me anyway. Going to dimly lit places is bad for me. But don’t go down the manic path. It’s hard to come back and it’s risky. Yep, been there.