Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

anti-depressant nightmare/


Recommended Posts

Let me give you a little background on myself.  I am hard to medicate, either I dont do well with the side effects or the medication poops out on me after a short while.  I was dealing with this dim wit nurse practitioner last year and she would start me on a medication then a few days later she would stop it and start me on something else and that continued for a few months until I got sick of dealing with it and stopped taking the medication.  I went from taking Lexapro to Wellbutrin to Pristique to effexor!  It was a nightmare and I couldnt handle the side effects of each med and so i stopped the effexor.  That was the beginning of this nightmare that I am in.  I ended up in the hospital last August because my anxiety was thru the roof and I couldnt eat, sleep or function.  I ended up taking a large handful of a variety of medications and called 911.  They admitted me to the psyc hospital and I was there for 2.5 weeks.  That was a nightmare in itself!!  I was put on Prozac, Trazadone, Mini press, Haldol, atarax, a few others that I cant remember.  The doctor also took me off of the klonopin (.5 mg) because he said it was addictive.  I was over medicated and just shuffled around the hallways until I was discharged and then I went to a partial program off the hospital grounds and the nice nurse there adjusted my meds and I found a reasonable cocktail of Prozac, Klonopin, Remeron and Doxepin.  The Prozac barely works so my current NP did some genetic testing and found that the Prozac was on the "do not take" list of medications and so he wanted to switch me to Fetzima but I said no because of the heart related side effects so he suggested that I try Trintellix.  Ok I will give that a shot, cant be any worse that how I am feeling about myself now, pretty much like "sludge on the bottom of a shoe lost in the bottom of the ocean" feeling.  The bad thoughts are starting up again, binge eating again, spending money that I dont have, starting to isolate and not want to talk to people feeling.  So I met with the NP about 3 weeks ago and he wanted me to go down on the Prozac from 40 to 20mgs and down on the Doxepin from 50 to 25mgs.  I take the Doxepin and remeron for sleep.  He then wanted me to go down again on the Prozac from 20 to 10mg and start the trintellex at 10mgs.  He is concerned  because I am already on 3 different anti-depresssants and didnt want me to get Seritonin syndrome.  So I have been taking the trintellix 10mgs for 10 days now and it has not done anything for my emotions and pretty much inhanced my eating and isolation.  It makes me feel so drugged and loopy that I just dont care about anything and stuff my face with crap and lay on the couch.  I am So angry that I am like this and I plan on calling the NP tomorrow to talk with him and see if I should stick it out or stop the trintellix.  I am tired of feeling like shit and getting fat and feeling worthless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ten days is not enough time to judge an antidepressant. It is usually recommended to give an antidepressant up to 6 weeks for it to work. And that doesn't depend on the antidepressant. They are all like that more or less.You also can't tell what side effects you will ultimately end of having. Right now, you are experiencing start-up effects. Usually, these improve or go away once you body gets used to the antidepressant.

So don't give up hope. Stick with it and follow your NP's advice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I understand that it takes many weeks for the antidepressants to take full effect.  I am now going on my 3rd week of feeling nothing but blah, eating junk, staring at the walls, wanting to sleep and feeling very emotional from anger to sadness.  Oh and he even had me increase it to 20mgs and stop the prozac.  I honestly don't think that this is the medication for me.  It just makes me eat and feel nothing (I already do that on my own)!  I see him on Tuesday and I am going to let him know how I am doing.

Thank you to the people who responded, thank you.  In my world i feel very alone and hopeless about ever feeling better.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just started trintellix as well.  You aren't alone.  I have no idea how it is going to affect me in the coming days/weeks.  I'm kinda just going with the flow because I've tried pretty much everything else except wellbutrin and maoi's.   

So far I don't really feel anything happening, but I've only been on it for a few days. 

Keep posting how you are doing.  It helps to get feedback from other people here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope the trintellix  works for you.  I am going to stop taking it because all I do is eat and get emotional.  I feel like I fell off the wagon and falling down a dark hole.  I am supposed to be getting prepared for bariatric surgery soon but I will probably have to put that off because of my overeating. Total frustration!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Trintellix can be really nauseating when you start (for at least two weeks)  When I moved up from 5mg to 10mg - I became comatose. So, I went back to 5 and it's been great-  You may be on too much.  I have found with many of these meds, that they work great at half the reccomended dosage- for some of us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 11/14/2018 at 9:53 AM, tangela said:

Trintellix can be really nauseating when you start (for at least two weeks)  When I moved up from 5mg to 10mg - I became comatose. So, I went back to 5 and it's been great-  You may be on too much.  I have found with many of these meds, that they work great at half the reccomended dosage- for some of us.

Funny you said that because I have told my NP that I am very sensitive to medication and I need to start out slowly but he never listened to me.  That really posses me off because i know my body and how I react to things, he does not!  So frustrated!!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Perhaps work with you np to drop the Remeron and try something else like lunesta or trazodone for sleep. I’m somewhat med sensitive and I could not shake the tiredness on Remeron no matter the dose. While I’m on the thinner side with a BMI of 23, Remeron made me gain about 7% of my body weight in the two months I was on it. Adding insult to injury, I even ended up with my first adult tooth cavity due to the combination of sweets cravings and extreme dry mouth on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe you need a mood stabilizer in your cocktail like lamotrigine or carbamazepine? Lamotrigine is said to stabilize from the bottom up..has antidepressant effects, where carbamazepine stabilizes from the top and has anti manic / mixed state effects.

Both are weight neutral.

Edit:

Found your DX. MDD + anxiety. I'm in the same boat myself, with some questionable hypomanic symptoms.

Recently my psych suggested adding an AAP like abilify or geodon to my cocktail. @iceberg also thought, in another one of your threads that an AAP would be helpful too.

Edited by argh
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, argh said:

Perhaps work with you np to drop the Remeron and try something else like lunesta or trazodone for sleep. I’m somewhat med sensitive and I could not shake the tiredness on Remeron no matter the dose. While I’m on the thinner side with a BMI of 23, Remeron made me gain about 7% of my body weight in the two months I was on it. Adding insult to injury, I even ended up with my first adult tooth cavity due to the combination of sweets cravings and extreme dry mouth on it.

I tried Trazodone when I was in the hospital last year and all it did was give me horrible nightmares and high blood pressure.  They gave me Prozazin to help with the night mares but it didn't work.  I actually decreased the remeron from 15mg to 7.5mg.   I will ask the NP for something else like lunesta.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, argh said:

Maybe you need a mood stabilizer in your cocktail like lamotrigine or carbamazepine? Lamotrigine is said to stabilize from the bottom up..has antidepressant effects, where carbamazepine stabilizes from the top and has anti manic / mixed state effects.

Both are weight neutral.

Edit:

Found your DX. MDD + anxiety. I'm in the same boat myself, with some questionable hypomanic symptoms.

Recently my psych suggested adding an AAP like abilify or geodon to my cocktail. @iceberg also thought, in another one of your threads that an AAP would be helpful too.

I asked the NP about Lamactal and he said "well if it didn't work for you before, then I don't think it's going to help now.".  I have never heard of Carbamazepine.  I can ask him about that one.  The only 2 antidepressant that have worked for me were Prozac and Cymbalta.  The Prozac was first given to me in my early 20's and after a week of horrible side effects i felt "normal", I lost weight and I could function with almost zero problems.  That lasted about 9 months. Then I started to increase the disease and it was never the same.  The Cymbalta worked great!  Again I had energy, did things productivly, ate healthy, lost weight, drove in the highway.  That unfortunately stopped working after 3 months.  Played with the doseage and never felt the same.  Such a huge disappointment and I just feel like I will never get those feelings Back again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Beth45 said:

I asked the NP about Lamactal and he said "well if it didn't work for you before, then I don't think it's going to help now.".  I have never heard of Carbamazepine.  I can ask him about that one.  The only 2 antidepressant that have worked for me were Prozac and Cymbalta.  The Prozac was first given to me in my early 20's and after a week of horrible side effects i felt "normal", I lost weight and I could function with almost zero problems.  That lasted about 9 months. Then I started to increase the disease and it was never the same.  The Cymbalta worked great!  Again I had energy, did things productivly, ate healthy, lost weight, drove in the highway.  That unfortunately stopped working after 3 months.  Played with the doseage and never felt the same.  Such a huge disappointment and I just feel like I will never get those feelings Back again.

Gabapentin has worked wonders for my irritability. Lyrica is also said to be pretty effective too. Both gabapentin and lyrica are analgesics so if you also have some pain going on, it could help there too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I met with my NP this afternoon and I told him about this site and how informative it is!  I told him to check it out and he "poo pood" and said "you know when you buy a new car and you really like it?  Well you don't write a positive review about it.  If you buy a new car and all these things go wrong then you are more likely to write a bad review about it.". " people on these sites like to talk about their negative experiences with medication and they don't have any medical background. ". Ummm ok YOU'RE an asshole!  I get a ton of useful information from reading about experiences on here!  I am learning more about medications and symptoms and illnesses than I will talking to you.  He just really pissed me off today.  So he said "oh I will assume that you're not going to get ECT treatments now that the medication didn't work.". Nope ain't happening nursie poo.  Let's try and figure out why these medications are not helping me.  Let's try and find a good combination for me.  So he mentioned Rexulti and Ability to try.  He said he has never had anyone gain weight on Rexulti but don't go and Google it because it will say weight gain.  Ok why did you even tell me that???  He did say that the Ability is a weight gainer so I opted for the Rexulti.  He gave me some samples of 0.5mgs and said to take it in the morning.  I go back to see him on the 17th and to call him sooner if the side effects get to bad.  So after all that babbling and thank you for reading, I will start the Rexulti in the morning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/7/2019 at 8:46 PM, Beth45 said:

So I met with my NP this afternoon and I told him about this site and how informative it is!  I told him to check it out and he "poo pood" and said "you know when you buy a new car and you really like it?  Well you don't write a positive review about it.  If you buy a new car and all these things go wrong then you are more likely to write a bad review about it.". " people on these sites like to talk about their negative experiences with medication and they don't have any medical background. ". Ummm ok YOU'RE an asshole!  I get a ton of useful information from reading about experiences on here!  I am learning more about medications and symptoms and illnesses than I will talking to you.  He just really pissed me off today.  So he said "oh I will assume that you're not going to get ECT treatments now that the medication didn't work.". Nope ain't happening nursie poo.  Let's try and figure out why these medications are not helping me.  Let's try and find a good combination for me.  So he mentioned Rexulti and Ability to try.  He said he has never had anyone gain weight on Rexulti but don't go and Google it because it will say weight gain.  Ok why did you even tell me that???  He did say that the Ability is a weight gainer so I opted for the Rexulti.  He gave me some samples of 0.5mgs and said to take it in the morning.  I go back to see him on the 17th and to call him sooner if the side effects get to bad.  So after all that babbling and thank you for reading, I will start the Rexulti in the morning.

Rexulti is known to cause weight gain. Just FYI. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:

Rexulti is known to cause weight gain. Just FYI. 

Just chuckled when I read what you wrote.  "We can try Rexulti or Abilify but the Abilify causes weight gain but not the Rexulti." "None of my patients have complained of weight gain on Rexulti."  Said my NP!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...