CrazyBoards.org

Physical Pain/Illness Masking Mania?

I might be hypomanic right now, but I'm not sure.  I take mirtazapine at night to counteract insomnia from my morning wellbutrin, and it knocks me out, so my sleep patterns don't really change when I'm hypomanic.  Last week I did skip the mirtazapine for one night and I kept waking up thinking about plans and dimensions for a cabinet I wanted to build.  I also got sick with sinus crud, and it kinda knocked me down for awhile.  I also have back problems, and if I'm on my feet all day by bedtime I am in so much pain I have to just go lie down.  Of course when I'm hypomanic and go build things, clean the house, clean the shed, etc., it makes my back hurt worse and I get exhausted.  It's like my brain keeps going but my body won't.

So I was wondering how physical limitations affect your mania?  Doe they mask symptoms of it?  I wonder if being tired and physically exhausted means I'm not really hypomanic right now, or I am but my body just won't let me keep going.

All things considered I really think I'm hypomanic.  Mentally my brain is going fast and all over the place, I'm more social and talkative, and I'm very hypersexual (WAY more than normal).

• Like 1

On 11/5/2018 at 4:56 PM, patents said:

I kept waking up thinking about plans and dimensions for a cabinet I wanted to build

It sounds like hypomania to me.  I'm BPII, so hypo- is the flavor of mania I get too.  I would talk to your pdoc about it if it's interfering with your life (hypersexuality, etc.).

By the way, my partner gets insomnia from thinking about woodworking projects.  Interesting....

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2018 at 5:56 PM, patents said:

I might be hypomanic right now, but I'm not sure.  I take mirtazapine at night to counteract insomnia from my morning wellbutrin, and it knocks me out, so my sleep patterns don't really change when I'm hypomanic.  

Do you have doc appointment soon? If you’re manic, this might not be the time to take an AD. 

I turn into a relentless perpetual motion machine when I’m manic. It takes a terrible toll on my body, exacerbating old injuries, causing new one sometimes, and making my weight drop. I’m skinny to start with, so that is not a plus.

On 11/17/2018 at 8:09 PM, Gearhead said:

Do you have doc appointment soon? If you’re manic, this might not be the time to take an AD. 

I turn into a relentless perpetual motion machine when I’m manic. It takes a terrible toll on my body, exacerbating old injuries, causing new one sometimes, and making my weight drop. I’m skinny to start with, so that is not a plus.

I do have my regular 3-month checkup next week.

My hypomania hasn't ever been too much of a problem, the worst has been a slight bit of spending and exhaustion.  This past episode has passed.  Since upping my dose of lamictal three months ago I have been far more stable than I've been in a long time, and I believe it's kept my hypomania in check.  I think it would have been more pronounced if I wasn't on lamictal.