CrazyBoards.org

Disability - How Do You Know When It's Time? Where Do You Start?

I've been applying for jobs.  I just quit a new one because I was too anxious to make the commute.  I've been checking the disability box.  How do you know when it's time to throw in the towel on working?  Have you been able to find a job that works with your disabilities?  My GAD manifests as social anxiety and agoraphobia.  It seems to be getting worse.  I was too anxious to meet with a new tdoc today.  How do you even begin to qualify for disability in the US?  How do you get help when you can't help yourself?

47 minutes ago, CeremonyNewOrder said:

You should talk it over with your pdoc and see if they will support you or not. They have to fill out the paperwork documenting your illness so their support is essential.

Totally agree......The support of your pdoc is crucial for getting on disability......

If your doc is supportive, the next step is finding a good disability lawyer., IMO.......You would not have to pay a disability attorney out of pocket---they only get paid if you win.

I have been through the process and been approved--I had my pdoc's support and had a disability lawyer.

It is not required to have an attorney, but your chances of approval are increased if you have one.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Inanlae said:

I've been applying for jobs.  I just quit a new one because I was too anxious to make the commute.  I've been checking the disability box.  How do you know when it's time to throw in the towel on working?  Have you been able to find a job that works with your disabilities?  My GAD manifests as social anxiety and agoraphobia.  It seems to be getting worse.  I was too anxious to meet with a new tdoc today.  How do you even begin to qualify for disability in the US?  How do you get help when you can't help yourself?

I knew I couldn’t work after a serious suicide attempt and a state hospital stay of nearly a year. I was so out of it. Psychotic, depressed, suicidal (and I acted upon it, had a charcoal breakfast (yuck) and a tube down my throat, the ER dr said they caught me just in time...scary). I didn’t get better they were trying all the wrong meds and finally changed it to something that helped and within a month or so I was able to go to a group home back in my home town! The courts got involved in my life and the works. I was not trusted with more than a days worth of medications at a time when I got to go home. Those orders lasted for many years.

The social worker at the hospital and my mom filled out all the SSDI paperwork for me. I don’t know what if anything I filled out or signed. I was so out of it I can’t recall much of that time. Especially the first few months on the intensive care ward in the state hospital. I was highly drugged and psychotic and so depressed I barely spoke at all.

Well I had no lawyer or advocate but I was approved on my first try and was approved within months. So you don’t always need a lawyer or advocate. The lawyers take your back pay. I don’t know much about advocates and what they do or if they are allowed to take any of your back pay or not. Hopefully someone will come along and explain this better. Sorry. Ymmv of course. Good luck!

• Like 1