CrazyBoards.org

How Do You Know The Real You?

I'm not formally dxed BiPolar, but I suspect I am BP2.  My PDoc is medication management then out the door type.

But I think nobody would understand this question better, so that's why I ask you guys on BiPolar.

Between the meds, the illness, and life's turbulence, do you ever have times when you don't know who you are and are scared you're not going to get back to "you" ?   How do you cope with that feeling.

I'm a bit scared lately because it has been a year and I haven't returned to feeling like myself again...

Edited by BrianOCD

what makes you think you are bipoar. I hit severe downward spiral about i dunno 3 years ago. Ivve tried many med combinations, and an IOP. Just now am i starting to feel better..........not to discourage you, but to give you hope. sometimes it takes time, meds, and a change of attitude and mindset. SOme of it will happen when you are ready

3 minutes ago, looking for answers said:

what makes you think you are bipoar. I hit severe downward spiral about i dunno 3 years ago. Ivve tried many med combinations, and an IOP. Just now am i starting to feel better..........not to discourage you, but to give you hope. sometimes it takes time, meds, and a change of attitude and mindset. SOme of it will happen when you are ready

Well before this latest episode I was pretty much carefree and achieving at a high level.  Working 40 hours+ and functioning really well. Maybe that's "normal"  ?   Idk but I was riding high and never had any issues with my mood, I mean almost no issues at all...like perfect feeling for a few years anyways....I was on Effexor at high dosages.

20 hours ago, BrianOCD said:

Well before this latest episode I was pretty much carefree and achieving at a high level.  Working 40 hours+ and functioning really well. Maybe that's "normal"  ?   Idk but I was riding high and never had any issues with my mood, I mean almost no issues at all...like perfect feeling for a few years anyways....I was on Effexor at high dosages.

Perhaps a blip on the radar? Has it happened in the past

6 hours ago, looking for answers said:

Perhaps a blip on the radar? Has it happened in the past

I generally have long periods of simply being carefree and feeling great with almost no lows, then I get hit with clinical depression in between.

Edited by BrianOCD

17 hours ago, BrianOCD said:

I generally have long periods of simply being carefree and feeling great with almost no lows, then I get hit with clinical depression in between.

BP2 is tricky to get a handle on and diagnose. It's not clear cut. I've had pdocs in the past tell me I could be BP2, but I wasn't convinced. My most troubling chronic symptoms are depression and anxiety. Hypomania (it's questionable if  I've presented as such), and full blown mania? (never). Previous pdoc was fixated on me staying on BP meds. I trialed every mood stabilizer and antipsychotic at the time (incl Depakote, Risperdal, Seroquel, etc) as they are indicated for BP....Problem was, but they all had a terrible effect on me and made me feel worse & MORE depressed. No benefit whatsoever.

I thought, let's maybe ditch that "label"  you know? If a med works, why change a good thing? So you've had periods where you "felt great and not depressed"...I'd look deeper into that period, why do you think that was the case? (i.e. maybe Effexor was doing the job well? Maybe you were in a good job, social, or environmental situation then?) Maybe you've just recently slipped into a full depressive episode that is more severe, and will take more time to climb out of? Throughout the course of any mental illness, over time, symptoms can vary, change, as well as the intensity, length of episode, etc...)

just to add, I thought past episodes had completely destroyed me (identity and functioning wise). Coming out of 2 IPs. I had hit Rock Bottom. So far gone during those episodes, I have now lost recollection of many months and nearly an entire year of my life. My brain just pushed it out i guess. But I am back... I assure you, it is possible to find yourself again.

Edited by Blahblah