CrazyBoards.org

I have been on Abilify since 2011. It has been a great med and has greatly helped my apathy and lack of motivation. I have had few side effects, except one that is very annoying. I bite my tongue at night while asleep. I know it is related to the Abilify because at one time I have had issues affording the Abilify and went of it several times. The tongue biting would stop. But once I started it up again, I would again begin biting my tongue.

This is very painful at night and is enough to wake me up sometimes. I always go around with my tongue feeling like I have cold sores. Last night was a terrible night and I woke up in a lot of pain. Sometimes I catch myself doing it when I am dozing off.

I've tried using mouth guards and dental guards, but I find that I can sleep in them because I feel like I can't breathe with them or else I gag and spit them out at night.

Has anyone had this problem? And what did you do about it? What can be done about it?

• 2 weeks later...

hmm, i don't know if this is feasible for you, but orthodontists often have to correct the tongue from moving near the teeth at rest. i have a retainer that looks like a typical upper palette retainer except for it has a hole in the palette part with a small ledge so your tongue sits behind your teeth against the roof of your mouth. in this way it's kept fairly tidily away from the teeth. in my case it was to prevent my tongue from pushing on my teeth when i swallowed, but i wonder if a similar device would keep you from biting your tongue.

what you would want is a custom retainer to keep your tongue in place while you sleep. it might be worth just doing a consultation with an orthodontist to see what options they could offer you, and how much it might cost. i want to say that for me, just making a retainer was a couple hundred bucks, but don't quote me on that. it was several years ago when i got mine, and my mum was the one paying for my orthodontia. either way, it's the treatment plan that's expensive, not the individual devices, so i can't imagine the retainer alone would run you up any extraordinary amounts.

I have exactly the same issue! It usually happens before I am deeply asleep and it wakes me up every time.

Never thought of a connection between this and my meds.

Another reason for me to stop taking Abilify.

Thanks!

I have involuntary jaw movements, like up-and-down and side-to-side, and involuntary tongue movements where I basically flap my tongue up and down in my mouth constantly on Abilify, but haven't ever had any issues with biting my tongue. I've wondered if this could be TD-related. I hope not because it really works very well for me. My pdoc said it isn't, but I still wonder. Sorry I don't have any advice or answers for you... I hope you can find a solution to your problem.

It is not so much an involuntary movement. It can be described as the tounge resting flat in a way that its sides extend between the upper and lower teeth.

Then when almost asleep you suddenly bite it. Not too hard but enough to wake you up.

Kind of...

8 hours ago, HydroCat said:

It is not so much an involuntary movement. It can be described as the tounge resting flat in a way that its sides extend between the upper and lower teeth.

Then when almost asleep you suddenly bite it. Not too hard but enough to wake you up.

Kind of...

I think I know what you mean. There must be a reason for this. It could be an attempted initiation of bruxism/teeth clenching in your sleep that is impeded by your tongue (biting your tongue), which wakes you up. That's just a theory though. 

On 11/14/2018 at 12:41 PM, jt07 said:

I've tried using mouth guards and dental guards, but I find that I can sleep in them because I feel like I can't breathe with them or else I gag and spit them out at night.

They make more compact mouth guards that cover very little space in your mouth.

This was one of the first things that turned up on a Google search. I'm not sure if it would really help you with your problem, but it might be worth a try.

https://www.target.com/p/plackers-grind-no-more-dental-night-protector-10ct/-/A-52802078?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&CPNG=PLA_Health%2BBeauty%2BShopping&adgroup=SC_Health%2BBeauty_Top+Performers&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9012754&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1247077&ds_rl=1246978&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Health+Beauty+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Health+Beauty_Top Performers&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9012754&gclid=Cj0KCQiAuf7fBRD7ARIsACqb8w7o1g6rnOmhoZQvaA0eFSwSIpUDdSDVSJNLhiLnGq039SjDnUMQVsMaAnPzEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds