CrazyBoards.org

Dexedrine Spansule vs Tablet?

gb84

My insurance is stopping coverage of all extended release CNSA's next year for whatever reason. 

How do dexedrine tablets compare to the spansules.  As in comparable effectiveness, length of action, etc...

I do have the option to request an exception for coverage.  But by January I doubt I'll have the energy to fight it. 

Thanks.. 

Here the tabs are pretty available at CVS, Walgreens, or other local pharmacy's.  I used to take Vyvanse in the morning and all my PM dose with 10 mg tabs.

Keep in mind Mixed Amphetamine Salts (Adderall) is available in IR tabs. It is mostly dexadrine, and a reasonable substitute to the dexedrine tabs.

I don't see how to compare the IR dexedrine to the spansule as one is IR and one is timed release. You can always adjust your dosage up/down on a stim if it is too strong or weak

• Thanks 1

On 11/15/2018 at 3:45 AM, notloki said:

Here the tabs are pretty available at CVS, Walgreens, or other local pharmacy's.  I used to take Vyvanse in the morning and all my PM dose with 10 mg tabs.

Keep in mind Mixed Amphetamine Salts (Adderall) is available in IR tabs. It is mostly dexadrine, and a reasonable substitute to the dexedrine tabs.

I don't see how to compare the IR dexedrine to the spansule as one is IR and one is timed release. You can always adjust your dosage up/down on a stim if it is too strong or weak

How long does Adderall ir last for you?  I'm probably getting 6-8 hours from the dexedrine spansule.  What would be equivalent to 10mg dexedrine?

Have you ever tried vyvanse?  It is the only ER med left on the formulary. 

*well my doc wrote a new script for dexedrine tablets, so I guess I will see how it works.  Nice to see that they are scored.  I can split them in half to adjust dosage if I need to... 

Edited by gb84
Update

• 4 weeks later...

I prefer to take all my dosage at once instead of using the XR form. For example, I would rather take 90mg dextroamphetamine sulfate in the morning once daily than have to take x2 15mg dexedrine spansules and also 10mg dextroamphetamine sulfate twice a day. The spansules are cool, but I am only on them at the moment because no pharmacy could order Zenzedi for me, I really don't know why. To me, if I do take my entire daily dosage at once, I feel like it lasts me the entire day anyway so no need to re-dose or take XR version, honestly IMO.

4 minutes ago, mmaryland said:

I prefer to take all my dosage at once instead of using the XR form. For example, I would rather take 90mg dextroamphetamine sulfate in the morning once daily than have to take x2 15mg dexedrine spansules and also 10mg dextroamphetamine sulfate twice a day. The spansules are cool, but I am only on them at the moment because no pharmacy could order Zenzedi for me, I really don't know why. To me, if I do take my entire daily dosage at once, I feel like it lasts me the entire day anyway so no need to re-dose or take XR version, honestly IMO.

Does your physician know you are taking it like this?  It sounds like a really bad idea.  

1 minute ago, Velvet Elvis said:

Does your physician know you are taking it like this?  It sounds like a really bad idea.  

Yes my physician usually scripts me 90x 30mg Zenzedi tablets. The bottle will say 1 tablets thrice daily but I was told I can take them all at once or space them out "whatever works best for you"

On 11/17/2018 at 12:52 AM, gb84 said:

How long does Adderall ir last for you?  I'm probably getting 6-8 hours from the dexedrine spansule.  What would be equivalent to 10mg dexedrine?

Have you ever tried vyvanse?  It is the only ER med left on the formulary. 

*well my doc wrote a new script for dexedrine tablets, so I guess I will see how it works.  Nice to see that they are scored.  I can split them in half to adjust dosage if I need to... 

I actually prefer the IR tablets to the spansules. They feel more potent. The only disadvantage is that you have to take more of them more often depending on your dosage. Like for me, I have to take 2 of them 3 times a day, so 6 in total (Zenzedi isn't on my formulary). You'll probably get about 4-6 hours out of Dexedrine IR IIRC.

On 11/16/2018 at 11:52 PM, gb84 said:

How long does Adderall ir last for you?

Worst case 4 hours then I redose. I have discovered if I take the majority of my amphetamine on waking, it will last through the day and I don't always need an afternoon dose.

6 hours ago, notloki said:

I have discovered if I take the majority of my amphetamine on waking, it will last through the day and I don't always need an afternoon dose.

this exactly!!

Not advocating anyone to do this, however it works for me as well, I don't know if many physicians are comfortable prescribing is like that, however. Definitely have a talk with your psyc if you are thinking of trying to dose  it this way. 

BTW in my area, it is almost impossible to find a pharmacy who can even order, just order, zenzedi, dexedrine spansules, and other formulations of dextroamphetamine, except Vyvanse. Today a Shoppers pharmacist told me that this year has been the worst ADHD medication shortage she's seen, including concerta, adderall, focalin, and other amphetamine and methylphenidate based drugs. 

I was lucky to find a pharmacy who could order dextroamphetamine sulfate 10mg and they filled a script for #60, but if I were to convert my zenzedi to dextroamphetamine sulfate 10mg tablets (since its the max dose in generic)  then I would need 3 tablets 3x a day, which is 270 tablets for a one month supply. Crazy.... oh and nowhere can order Dexexdrine spansules right now. I legit am pharmacy hopping. It really shouldn't be this difficult to get your medication for ADHD.