CrazyBoards.org

Long term physical effects of hypomania. ..

So. I've been hypomanic for nearly 3 months. I came off my mood stabiliser (aripiprazole) cos I hated it. I made me paranoid terrified and unable to connect with other people in even the most basic sense. For two years I put up with it. Anyway. I took myself off it. And went probably manic for two weeks then hypomania since. Err OK back to my question. I've been getting 4-5 hours sleep when I take zopiclone. And less than 3 when I don't. I'm still not tired. I have a physical job and I'm still bounding around and talking do fast no body can understand me and I get words all the wrong order BUT. my poor body is falling apart. I have headaches from hell. Blurred vision. Eye pain. Nausea. If I eat. If I don't eat. Fail any which way. I kinda like the weight loss  but I'm starting to think this needs to stop. I have an emergency appointment next week with my psychiatrist. Well the duty team anyway. 
So has anyone else been in hypomania so long their body just gave out on them ?
  • Like 1

Just now, Iceberg said:

Yes. Unfortunately you might need some heavy duty meds to slow you down in order to stop the slide...side effects suck but those physical issues can suck worse 

Yeah I'm kinda thinking the same. Maybe a week or so just to get back to a routine. I've got this emergency appointment then my normal one the week after. Atm I'd take anything just to sleep and calm tf down. But long term. Idk I really don't want to go back on antipsychtics. ...

Ps thank you so much for replying x 

17 minutes ago, Eilatan said:

Yeah I'm kinda thinking the same. Maybe a week or so just to get back to a routine. I've got this emergency appointment then my normal one the week after. Atm I'd take anything just to sleep and calm tf down. But long term. Idk I really don't want to go back on antipsychtics. ...

One thing that could help you sleep, but maaayyybe not, too! I’ve recently discovered there are 2 different types of Unisom (otc sleeping pill)...one is just weak ol’ Benadryl. The other one is quite a powerful antihistamine, doxylamine succinate (might have screwed the spelling), which hits me like a ton of bricks while not manic, but only take half a pill. Last time I was manic, I took a whole pill along with my Lunesta and Trazadone and slept like a rock. Deeply. 

Anyway, just thought I’d put that out there since it’s an otc option. 

Hope your appointment brings you relief!

Edited by DammitJanet

25 minutes ago, Eilatan said:

The thing is at a certain point you'll have to consider long term control...and if antipsychotics are what work you might have to give them a serious look. There are strategies to minimize side effects and combinations to keep the doses from getting too high 

31 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:

One thing that could help you sleep, but maaayyybe not, too! I’ve recently discovered there are 2 different types of Unisom (otc sleeping pill)...one is just weak ol’ Benadryl. The other one is quite a powerful antihistamine, doxylamine succinate (might have screwed the spelling), which hits me like a ton of bricks while not manic, but only take half a pill. Last time I was manic, I took a whole pill along with my Lunesta and Trazadone and slept like a rock. Deeply. 

Anyway, just thought I’d put that out there since it’s an otc option. 

Hope your appointment brings you relief!

Hmm is that like phenergan?? I've had that before but it gives me wicked restless legs. I took too much once trying to get some sleep and started hallucinating smoke and fire. 

Hmm maybe I should ask for trazodone then?...

Thank you so much for your help and reply x x 

23 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

The thing is at a certain point you'll have to consider long term control...and if antipsychotics are what work you might have to give them a serious look. There are strategies to minimize side effects and combinations to keep the doses from getting too high 

Yeah I know. It all just SUCKS! !! wrghhh I want to l scream!

But yes I think I have to seriously consider that long term thing x 

10 minutes ago, Eilatan said:

Hmm is that like phenergan?? I've had that before but it gives me wicked restless legs. I took too much once trying to get some sleep and started hallucinating smoke and fire. 

Hmm maybe I should ask for trazodone then?...

Thank you so much for your help and reply x x 

Yeah I know. It all just SUCKS! !! wrghhh I want to l scream!

But yes I think I have to seriously consider that long term thing x 

I don’t know if it’s like phenergan for you, it was not for me. Phenergan messes with my mood. This type of unisom does not. I’m not giving you this info as a long term solution whatsoever, simply something you could have on hand for short term and perhaps until your emergency appointment next week. 

Good luck. 

7 hours ago, DammitJanet said:

I don’t know if it’s like phenergan for you, it was not for me. Phenergan messes with my mood. This type of unisom does not. I’m not giving you this info as a long term solution whatsoever, simply something you could have on hand for short term and perhaps until your emergency appointment next week. 

Good luck. 

Right so I'll go ask for unisom otc. Yes I just need a stop gap until the app on Tuesday 

Huge thanks to you both for reolying@ 

X x 

• Like 1

When I first started treatment for my MI my pdoc put me on wellbutrin.  When it kicked in it really helped with the major depression I was having at the time, but it gave me insomnia.  He then put me on trazadone for sleep and it worked great, but after a couple weeks it made me psychotic and I ended up having a breakdown rocking back and forth on our couch rubbing my hands and mumbling something about my family "taking me away and locking me up" for the rest of my life.  For several days prior I suspected something was going on because I started getting tremors and was getting confused about routine things.  Anyway, enough of trazadone for me...

Ended up then trying different meds, and at some point he tried me on remeron as a sole therapy.  I think he titrated me up to 60mg/day.  For the first two weeks I was a zombie, it zonked me out.  Once I got used to it I realized it did nothing for my depression.  We circled back around to wellbutrin because it was the most effective.  So my pdoc kept me on remeron at night to help me sleep.  It has worked great!  I take 15mg at night and not only does it counteract any insomnia from wellbutrin, it has kept me on a near normal sleep pattern even during my hypomania.  I believe it's the remeron that masks the hypomanic symptom of less sleep.

Keep in mind that remeron is unusual in that, in general, at higher doses the more activating and less sedating it becomes.  It's sedating at low doses but not at higher doses.  But at low doses you don't really get an antidepressant benefit.

All that said, maybe consider remeron at night, maybe 15-30mg, to see if it helps you sleep.  I've been on it for months and I've had consistent normal sleep.  Just for grins a few weeks ago I didn't take it at night and I slept terribly (I also think I was hypomanic at the time too).

2 hours ago, patents said:

When I first started treatment for my MI my pdoc put me on wellbutrin.  When it kicked in it really helped with the major depression I was having at the time, but it gave me insomnia.  He then put me on trazadone for sleep and it worked great, but after a couple weeks it made me psychotic and I ended up having a breakdown rocking back and forth on our couch rubbing my hands and mumbling something about my family "taking me away and locking me up" for the rest of my life.  For several days prior I suspected something was going on because I started getting tremors and was getting confused about routine things.  Anyway, enough of trazadone for me...

Ended up then trying different meds, and at some point he tried me on remeron as a sole therapy.  I think he titrated me up to 60mg/day.  For the first two weeks I was a zombie, it zonked me out.  Once I got used to it I realized it did nothing for my depression.  We circled back around to wellbutrin because it was the most effective.  So my pdoc kept me on remeron at night to help me sleep.  It has worked great!  I take 15mg at night and not only does it counteract any insomnia from wellbutrin, it has kept me on a near normal sleep pattern even during my hypomania.  I believe it's the remeron that masks the hypomanic symptom of less sleep.

Keep in mind that remeron is unusual in that, in general, at higher doses the more activating and less sedating it becomes.  It's sedating at low doses but not at higher doses.  But at low doses you don't really get an antidepressant benefit.

All that said, maybe consider remeron at night, maybe 15-30mg, to see if it helps you sleep.  I've been on it for months and I've had consistent normal sleep.  Just for grins a few weeks ago I didn't take it at night and I slept terribly (I also think I was hypomanic at the time too).

Hey wow sorry you had such a journey with meds. I've never tried wellbutrin.  We don't have it here in the UK as an AD. Just as a stop smoking aid oddly.  No idea why depression and smoking get the same med! 

I've been on remeron before. It did make me sleep at first but after a while it stopped. Never did anything for depression as you say but made me put in 5kg. Omg had to get off of that. Not sure it's good for hypomania either....

Omg yes that's scary what happened to you on trazodone. 

Yearghhh I'm gonna have to see how this nytol works tonight along with my zopiclone and wait it out til Tuesdays appointment. 

Bought a new phone today. I think I'm freaking people out in the store because I was pacing and staring at them. But Omg they were so Slow!!!!!

48 minutes ago, jt07 said:

Remeron and Trazadone are antidepressants. If you are (hypo)manic, antidepressants really aren't advisable. 

I actually did have a doc use traz while I was manic-ish. But it was combined with Valium. And I was inpatient...but then another doc bumped it while outpatient 

My longest mania was nine months. My weight fell through the floor. I was semi-delirious all the time from sleep deprivation. I had stomach pain. I couldn’t sit still.

You need something to break the mania, fast. Typical choices, and often short-term, are often Zyprexa or risperdal. Once you’re no longer manic, you need to find a mood stabilizer that works for you, that either has no side effects or, more likely, has side effects you can tolerate. You’ll probably need something like low-dose Seroquel to help you sleep, at least for a while.

Mania is straight-up fucking hell. Good luck. Keep us posted.

14 hours ago, Alien Navel Cord said:

I'm afraid I'm headed the same way. High dose (for me) of abilify but... Up up and away. Worried...

Hope you're OK.  Do you have an appointment at your docs? ? I used to be on abilify but came off it 3.5 months ago. 

12 hours ago, Gearhead said:

My longest mania was nine months. My weight fell through the floor. I was semi-delirious all the time from sleep deprivation. I had stomach pain. I couldn’t sit still.

You need something to break the mania, fast. Typical choices, and often short-term, are often Zyprexa or risperdal. Once you’re no longer manic, you need to find a mood stabilizer that works for you, that either has no side effects or, more likely, has side effects you can tolerate. You’ll probably need something like low-dose Seroquel to help you sleep, at least for a while.

Mania is straight-up fucking hell. Good luck. Keep us posted.

O.M.G NINE MONTHS? !!!! mines only been 3.5 and bits of me are already dropping off. 

How long did it take to recover? ? Hope you are OK now.

X x x