CrazyBoards.org

It's the week before Thanksgiving and not one person has invited me to their home or to get together to celebrate Thanksgiving. 

I go thru this every year and suddenly Thanksgiving is 4 days away.

I usually prepare my own special dinner to ward off feelings of isolation during this holiday, this year, I was too depressed to even think ahead.

Now it's 4 days away, no one has invited me and I didn't buy any food to prepare.  I have to have food delivered because I am disabled and cannot drive.

It's too late to order thru my grocery delivery as I'm sure the store is out of most of the things I usually get to make.

So, now depression is inking in big time and my thinking is that since no one invited me, I must not be regarded as a close enough friend to be considered to sit at their table for Thanksgiving and causing me to rethink who is on my friend list.  I feel soo abandoned and very sad. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Do you have any family or friends you could call up and talk to on Thanksgiving?.....That might help.

I wish I had more advice to give.....Are there any neighbors you feel comfortable talking to?

I’m sorry, Dewey. That sucks. Personally I can’t even celebrate Thanksgiving because it triggers my PTSD. My husband has no strong feelings about it so we boycott it completely. We don’t even eat turkey. My whole family knows I hate it so they don’t bother inviting me anymore.

Thank you Red and Juniper *smiles*  I have no family nor anyone I would call a close friend to invite me to Thanksgiving.  I wish I planned for this, usually the holiday catches up with me and I forget to do something special for myself. 

Big sigh !!

• Like 1

I am pretty much in the same boat as you. I live alone and do not cook, and no one has invited me to Thanksgiving this year either. Last year, my cousin invited me, but I received no such invitation this year. 

So, I plan to buy a turkey dinner for four from a local restaurant and feast out on Thanksgiving and remember better days when my family was alive. For some crazy reason, it's important to me to have turkey on Thanksgiving.

It all sounds sad and pathetic, I know, but it isn't all that bad. I'm a loner by nature so it isn't as though I will feel lonely. I will not be lonely. Just feeling a little let down by my family and sad that my parents and grandparents are gone forever

• Like 1

My thanksgivings are usually small because most people in my family hate each other. However, every year I have to endure this cousin that goes on a rant about how lithium destroys lives and brings people to commit suicide and how you should rely on supplements to cure your illness. I so want to shut her up with my own story and the stories of others but I feel too fucking embarrassing reminding everyone at the table that I'm mentally ill. Anyone else have this problem?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CeremonyNewOrder said:

Anyone else have this problem?

My holiday gatherings are small too, but I don't have this particular problem, because no one even acknowledges my MI or talks about it at all......Therefore I never bring it up either.........It's like the elephant in the room that everyone knows about, but nothing is said.

When someone asks how I'm doing, I don't dare say anything but "I'm hanging in there", or "I'm fine".

My family members feel uncomfortable about the whole subject, so I get the sense that none of them really wants to know how badly I suffer........As long as I'm not in the hospital, and alive, that's all they really care about......And that hurts.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

My holiday gatherings are small too, but I don't have this particular problem, because no one even acknowledges my MI or talks about it at all......Therefore I never bring it up either.........It's like the elephant in the room that everyone knows about, but nothing is said.

When someone asks how I'm doing, I don't dare say anything but "I'm hanging in there", or "I'm fine".

My family members feel uncomfortable about the whole subject, so I get the sense that none of them really wants to know how badly I suffer........As long as I'm not in the hospital, and alive, that's all they really care about......And that hurts.

This is me too.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jt07 said:

I am pretty much in the same boat as you. I live alone and do not cook, and no one has invited me to Thanksgiving this year either. Last year, my cousin invited me, but I received no such invitation this year. 

So, I plan to buy a turkey dinner for four from a local restaurant and feast out on Thanksgiving and remember better days when my family was alive. For some crazy reason, it's important to me to have turkey on Thanksgiving.

It all sounds sad and pathetic, I know, but it isn't all that bad. I'm a loner by nature so it isn't as though I will feel lonely. I will not be lonely. Just feeling a little let down by my family and sad that my parents and grandparents are gone forever

I hear you jt ~  I have to have turkey with all the trimmings on Thanksgiving.  I doubt now if I ordered the trimmings and turkey now, I would not get anything. 

The person that invited me last 4 years did not invite me this year and that hurt a bit too.  I am left wondering why.

Wishing you an enjoyable Thanksgiving and hoping your dinner will be what you expected it to be.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CeremonyNewOrder said:

My thanksgivings are usually small because most people in my family hate each other. However, every year I have to endure this cousin that goes on a rant about how lithium destroys lives and brings people to commit suicide and how you should rely on supplements to cure your illness. I so want to shut her up with my own story and the stories of others but I feel too fucking embarrassing reminding everyone at the table that I'm mentally ill. Anyone else have this problem?

Yes, definitely ~  My niece asked me over Thanksgiving many many years ago if she would catch what is wrong with me.  I challenged her to define what is wrong with me and she said, you know your mental illness, will I get that too?  She was 10 years old at that time. Her mom (my sister) began smothering her with kisses assuring her she would not.  Then I got up to get seconds and when I came back, my area had been cleared off and my niece was sitting in my place and would not move.  So, I took my plate and sat outside on the veranda.  How embarrassing/humiliating was that, we even had very old family friends attending that meal too.  No one stood up for me.  I never went back. 

People can be no-it-alls and it is sickening about medication.  Well, let them have their own opinion, as clearly they don't know what they are talking about.  It's almost laughable.  You know what you are doing as prescribed by your doctor, try not to let this one opinionated !@#$%^& make you feel bad.  Just consider the source.

8 hours ago, Dewey said:

I hear you jt ~  I have to have turkey with all the trimmings on Thanksgiving.  I doubt now if I ordered the trimmings and turkey now, I would not get anything. 

The person that invited me last 4 years did not invite me this year and that hurt a bit too.  I am left wondering why.

Wishing you an enjoyable Thanksgiving and hoping your dinner will be what you expected it to be.

Thank you Dewey. There are restaurants, e.g. Bob Evans and the like whee you can order Thanksgiving dinners all day Wednesday. I think some are even open on Thanksgiving. You've just got to find out what is in your area and call. I'm ordering a feast because I haven't had a good Thanksgiving feast in a long, long, time. Not even at my relatives. It's costing me a bundle, but I need it to take some of the stress away.

Just wish there was a place to get dark meat.

I hope your holiday goes better than expected!

• Like 1

I don’t know if you celebrate Christmas but if so maybe plan a food order in advance. Here in a big city foods are available even on short notice and I can order premade meals up to the day before, one friend ordered day of. I’m a fan of ordering in. I’m also a procrastinator so I put things off way too long anyway so I can relate. Any chance of ordering premade and inviting someone to your place?  Just a thought. I couldn’t but if I could like I used to, I would consider that. Sometimes there are others that are not invited anywhere either or don’t want to see family and are glad to be asked even if for a very simple meal. I haven’t done that in a while but it was actually better than some family gatherings. Again, just a thought.