CrazyBoards.org

New pdoc recommending higher benzo dosage

Today I had first appointment with a new pdoc.....I like her a lot, she seems a lot better than my previous doc.

She talked to me for over a hour.......I thought she might recommend another AAP, since I don't have any AP on board right now.

Instead, she said she would like me to try Xanax along with my Klonopin, since my level of anxiety, and the extent of my OCD rituals seems really high during the day.

But first. she said she would like me just to try a higher dose of Klonopin to see if that helps.....Wants me to take 1mg in morning and 2mg at bedtime.........If that doesn't help, she wants to try the Xanax....

This is the first time I have ever had a pdoc increase my benzo dose before trying another AP to control my extreme anxiety and OCD.

Most pdocs I have ever had, want to try an AP to better control my  OCD and anxiety, rather than adding more benzo....I am on enough ADs already, but she also said we could try switching one of them out for Cymbalta (which I've never tried).....I have tried Effexor, and didn't have a good experience with that.

Oh well, guess she prefers benzos over APs, at least that's what it seems like........Not sure I like the idea of taking Klonopin in the morning.....I'm depressed, tired, and totally unmotivated during the day as it is...........But I'll give it a try anyway........**SIGH**

Edited by CrazyRedhead

@CrazyRedhead

How much Klonopin were you taking before? I take 3 mg total daily as well. I take one mg right away in the morning and it really helps. I don’t get tired from it either. I hope you have the same experience with it! I was taking 0.5 mg thrice daily, but my pdoc bumped it up to 1 mg thrice daily and it made a HUGE difference. I am on it for my GAD, which is extreme and had gotten out of hand big time. 

I’m hoping that this benzo idea will do the trick for you since she didn’t seem keen on adding an AP,  have AP’s been super helpful to you in the past? If not, maybe an increase in your Klonopin is the way to go. I hope you don’t get side effects from it and that you notice a benefit from it ASAP! Keep us posted and good luck with the med change and new pdoc! Wow! She spent a whole hour with you? Amazing! That’s awesome! 

Edited by Wonderful.Cheese
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

@CrazyRedhead

How much Klonopin were you taking before? I take 3 mg total daily as well. I take one mg right away in the morning and it really helps. I don’t get tired from it either. I hope you have the same experience with it! I was taking 0.5 mg thrice daily, but my pdoc bumped it up to 1 mg thrice daily and it made a HUGE difference. I am on it for my GAD, which is extreme and had gotten out of hand big time. 

I’m hoping that this benzo idea will do the trick for you since she didn’t seem keen on adding an AP,  have AP’s been super helpful to you in the past? If not, maybe an increase in your Klonopin is the way to go. I hope you don’t get side effects from it and that you notice a benefit from it ASAP! Keep us posted and good luck with the med change and new pdoc! Wow! She spent a whole hour with you? Amazing! That’s awesome! 

I was taking 2mg, all at night.....Tomorrow I will start taking 1mg in morning and 2mg at night........Yes, she seems a lot better than previous a**hole  doc that I think I mentioned....he barely spent 15 minutes with me.

I hope it helps too and doesn't make me tired......The APs I've tried so far haven't really helped...... I've tried so many things that haven't helped, so that's why I'm skeptical, but I will do what she says......I have nothing to lose by trying.....:)

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, cakepop said:

My pdoc is fond of Klonopin but despises Xanax for its short half-life. So I’m on 1 mg of Klonopin in the A.M. and 2 mg in the evening. I thought about asking for Xanax XR but since the Klonopin is working well, why bother? Xanax makes me tired anyway.

I agree, if klonopin is working for you and you have no complaints, keep using it. even if you have to mess with the dosage a bit, if you feel that klonopin is the benzo you tolerate the best, it is worth it before switching to another benzo at an equivalent dose. So if you start to have symptoms again, for example, it wouldn't hurt to see if 2mg in the AM and 2mg in the evening would help control your symptoms.