CrazyBoards.org

Xanax vs. Diazepam-help

So I asked Pdoc to switch me from Xanax to diazepam since it’s supposed to last longer, and I’m afraid of reaching tolerance since she said she’d never go above 1 mg of Xanax. 

Well, she gave me 5mg twice a day as needed, telling me that 5 mg is equal to 1mg??!!

I felt absolutely nothing.  I called the pharmacist and she told me 5mg is only equal to .25 mg of Xanax. 

So now I’m asking here. Seems like my pdoc is way off sometimes!!

Anyone know what dose of diazepam would equal 1mg of Xanax?

Thanks in advance. 

4 hours ago, DammitJanet said:

So I asked Pdoc to switch me from Xanax to diazepam since it’s supposed to last longer, and I’m afraid of reaching tolerance since she said she’d never go above 1 mg of Xanax. 

Well, she gave me 5mg twice a day as needed, telling me that 5 mg is equal to 1mg??!!

I felt absolutely nothing.  I called the pharmacist and she told me 5mg is only equal to .25 mg of Xanax. 

So now I’m asking here. Seems like my pdoc is way off sometimes!!

Anyone know what dose of diazepam would equal 1mg of Xanax?

Thanks in advance. 

Your doc is WAY off, the pharmacist is correct......

According to this benzo equivalency chart link below, .5 mg of Xanax would be equal to 10mg Diazepam (Valium), so to equal 1mg Xanax, you would need to be taking 20mg Valium a day, not 10mg (5mg twice a day)

In other words, you should be taking 10mg diazepam twice a day to equal the 1mg of Xanax.

https://www.benzo.org.uk/bzequiv.htm

And yes, diazepam is longer-acting than Xanax, but Xanax is a much more potent benzo........Sounds like your doc doesn't know much about benzo equivalencies......Hope you get this worked out.

Maybe Klonopin would be an option?....It's just as potent as Xanax, but is longer-acting......In other words 1mg Xanax would be equal to 1mg Klonopin.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

According to this benzo equivalency chart link below, .5 mg of Xanax would be equal to 10mg Diazepam (Valium), so to equal 1mg Xanax, you would need to be taking 20mg Valium a day, not 10mg (5mg twice a day)

In other words, you should be taking 10mg diazepam twice a day to equal the 1mg of Xanax.

And yes, diazepam is longer-acting than Xanax, but Xanax is a much more potent benzo........Sounds like your doc doesn't know much about benzo equivalencies......Hope you get this worked out.

Maybe Klonopin would be an option?....It's just as potent as Xanax, but is longer-acting......In other words 1mg Xanax would be equal to 1mg Klonopin.

Thanks.  In fucking hospital got rear ended at 45 mph. Severe pain and Abby home alone since 1130 AM!

3 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Wow.....I'm so sorry, Janet.....Are you okay?....How long do you expect to be in hospital?

They did a lot of scans for a suspected fractured vertebrae in the end said probably not. Still a lot of pain there though. And mild concussion. Fortunately the guy was in work van on company time so he’s definitely covered. Just don’t know how to deal with this without an attorney. But I don’t think my injuries are severe enough to get one, just badly need car fixed. 

My recommendation is to start with the insurance people and see what they’re up to/what they think. That said, personal injury attorneys usually do a free initial consultation and then work on a contingency fee (they get paid if they win).  So, if you have time and energy, you could always explore it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dancesintherain said:

My recommendation is to start with the insurance people and see what they’re up to/what they think. That said, personal injury attorneys usually do a free initial consultation and then work on a contingency fee (they get paid if they win).  So, if you have time and energy, you could always explore it.

I’ll do that. I really just want my hospital visit covered from last night and want my car damage fixed like yesterday. I’ve already called my insurance just need to get the dumb police report. Which involves...driving. ?

thanks for your advice. 

Edited by DammitJanet

On 11/20/2018 at 1:00 PM, CrazyRedhead said:

Unfortunately, klonopin depressed the shit out of me. Ended up nearly dying from an overdose of that and tramadol. I’m just amazed she’d give me such a fucking ridiculously low dose not even near what I usually take. Don’t have it in me to deal with it now. I’ll call her next week and ask to just go back to Xanax. Thanks for telling me this!

ps: cannot believe this HELL WEEK! First my egg donor, car accident, now I can’t get to store to get needed food much less holiday food!

Edited by DammitJanet

6 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:

Unfortunately, klonopin depressed the shit out of me. Ended up nearly dying from an overdose of that and tramadol. I’m just amazed she’d give me such a fucking ridiculously low dose not even near what I usually take. Don’t have it in me to deal with it now. I’ll call her next week and ask to just go back to Xanax. Thanks for telling me this!

Ask her about trying Xanax XR......It is a timed released version of regular Xanax, and stays in your system longer...

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Ask her about trying Xanax XR......It is a timed released version of regular Xanax, and stays in your system longer...

I second this. I take Xanax XR and it works pretty decently. It's very innocuous, you don't know you're taking it but it just works. It does its thing in the background.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/21/2018 at 3:26 PM, CrazyRedhead said:

I was about to reccommend this! Seriously, if you haven't yet, ask about trying extended release xanax. It's a real game changer. One of the meds in which the regular and XR/ER formulation have vastly different effects from one another, so much so that you might consider Xanax XR not xanax because it will feel like a completely different medication

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mmaryland said:

I was about to reccommend this! Seriously, if you haven't yet, ask about trying extended release xanax. It's a real game changer. One of the meds in which the regular and XR/ER formulation have vastly different effects from one another, so much so that you might consider Xanax XR not xanax because it will feel like a completely different medication

Thanks ? I see pdoc finally again this Friday. Will ask! Hope she’s willing. 

The problem with Xanax is that it's the most brutal benzodiazapine to come off of if you become dependent.  The risk of dependence is even greater in the sustained release formulation.  Come of it cold turkey can kill you, no hyperbole.   If you take it every day long term, make sure you are admitted to a medical facility when you have to come off it.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Velvet Elvis said:

The problem with Xanax is that it's the most brutal benzodiazapine to come off of if you become dependent.  The risk of dependence is even greater in the sustained release formulation.  Come of it cold turkey can kill you, no hyperbole.   If you take it every day long term, make sure you are admitted to a medical facility when you have to come off it.  

I’ve been on 1mg xanax for over 6 years so I know about dependency risk. I tried the diazepam though, and became extremely depressed, so that one isn’t an option. Thanks for letting me know about the Xr versions risk.