CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
BrianOCD

Benzos Help Your Depression?

I've been visiting Dr. Google on this one, and there seems to be a lot of studies that show both for and against.

I know Ativan makes me feel better in the short run, but I'm wondering if it is effective in treating Depression alongside your AD too?

I see that coming off Benzos can LEAD to depression, so one would think they must have a mild effect at least on treating it...

What do you guys think?   

Good for Depression or bad?

Benzos always made my depression far worse - which is pharmacologically expected given their mechanism of action. 

I guess what we call depression is probably a heterogeneous group of things. 

Edited by tryp

The only way benzos can help depression is if your depression is primarily caused by anxiety, but that is usually not the case.

On 11/21/2018 at 12:39 PM, jt07 said:

The only way benzos can help depression is if your depression is primarily caused by anxiety, but that is usually not the case.

Well in my case it definitely is anxiety then depression...but once you're depressed it's hard to tell the difference or which is affecting you more...

I've had first-hand experience of Ativan treating my depression. Then I had first-hand experience of Ativan fueling my anxiety.

Obviously, I'm in the minority.

Xanax does amazing things for my mood, Valium really has no effect on me, and Klonopin is slightly depressive for me if I take it daily. Ativan, I consider this a hypnotic benzo IME because at 2mg it helps with difficulty falling asleep.

My mood has been so so low lately, I wonder if a .5 Ativan would lift it up and get me moving again.

My PDoc is good with up to 1mg a day, he says it'll help get me out of the house, but I feel like my issues have been more depression than anxiety so it seems odd to me he wants to go with benzo.