CrazyBoards.org

I Need/Value Any Input on How to Wean Off Klonopin

Hi everyone, 

Glad to see this community is still around on the Internet. I used to visit crazymeds (not sure if this is related) way back in the day, like around 2004, when I was first prescribed Rx meds and it was quite a helpful community. I'll cut to the quick...

I basically want to try and get off of 1mg of Klonopin (generic) a day. I've been Googling around, and either I'm not as good at Googling as I used to be, or I simply haven't found it if it's out there (I once recall a United Kingdom system of weaning off, couldn't find it). Fwiw, I've been on 1mg of Klonopin for many years, at least since 2011, if that weighs into weaning process. 

I take 1mg a day, two 0.5 mg tablets at once. How should I cut back? To 0.75 (one and half pills?) 
I'm really looking for a nice, set schedule to give myself. Like x amount for week one, x amount for week, two, etc.
I would greatly appreciate any personal experience, links, et al. (P.S....I will probably post this on the antidepressant forum, but I'm also on 50 mg of Zoloft a day that I'd like to get off of as well, and if you think I should stay on that while I get off the Klonopin, or get off the Klonopin first, I'd value that input as well. Thanks!!!

Thanks!!!

14 hours ago, Marksman said:

I'm also on 50 mg of Zoloft a day that I'd like to get off of as well, and if you think I should stay on that while I get off the Klonopin, or get off the Klonopin first, I'd value that input as well. 

The general rule of thumb is to only taper one medication at a time.........However, as others have said, the best person to guide you with tapering a med is your doc......It's very important to have your taper overseen by your physician, especially if it's a benzo taper.

Does your doc know that you want to get off these medications?

1 hour ago, mikl_pls said:

I would discuss with your pdoc a schedule of cross-tapering to Valium and then a schedule of tapering off the Valium. Valium has a much longer half-life and is easier to get off of than Klonopin.

Very true....I agree 100%.

I've gotten off of it once before, but that was in 2011. I can't remember what my titration schedule was then. My doctor is going to be out for a couple months, and I won't be able to see him. I don't want to wait that long. I'm just looking for a general titration schedule. Or even a link to one. 

Fwiw, his recommended titration schedule for Zoloft has always been 25mg for seven days, then stop (which sounds fast IMO). But he's a double-board certified psychiatrist, with all kinds of honors and degrees and decades of experience, so there's that. That's why I'm trying to get some "real world experience." I've gotten off Z a couple times, but got back on. I'm staying on the Z for the time being. 

Anyway, anyone have any schedule for 1mg of Klonopin? I'd greatly appreciate it. The pharmacist said I should start cutting one of the 0.5 tablets in half for "a while." Pretty vague, lol. 

Fwiw, I just found this link to a study, where they recommend cutting back 0.25 mg per week, but they don't say for how many weeks, unless someone can read into more than I'm seeing. Thanks. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20473065

On 11/21/2018 at 12:03 PM, CrazyRedhead said:

The general rule of thumb is to only taper one medication at a time.........However, as others have said, the best person to guide you with tapering a med is your doc......It's very important to have your taper overseen by your physician, especially if it's a benzo taper.

Does your doc know that you want to get off these medications?

Very true....I agree 100%.

Ok, I just figured out how to reply to responses. I did post a couple of responses above. 

Thanks for the info, I plan on staying on the Z while I get off the K. 

On 11/21/2018 at 10:28 AM, mikl_pls said:

I would discuss with your pdoc a schedule of cross-tapering to Valium and then a schedule of tapering off the Valium. Valium has a much longer half-life and is easier to get off of than Klonopin.

Thanks for the reply. I've heard of the Valium route before, though I don't want to mess around with another medication, and I won't be able to get the Rx for that in a couple of months anyhow, as my doc is out until then. 

Why the rush to get off Klonopin?  It's a pretty mild med with few side effects.

I should tell you that we do not usually give advice on how to start or stop meds without a doctors advice, knowledge, and consent because to do so would be tantamount to practicing medicine which is something that a peer support site is prohibited from doing. What if something should go wrong? You need to be under a doctor's supervision.

Also, we are a pro-psychiatry site and think that giving advice without the knowledge of your psychiatrist is undermining the doctor-patient relationship.

Please wait until you can see your psychiatrist.

Edited by jt07

17 hours ago, Marksman said:

I've gotten off of it once before, but that was in 2011. I can't remember what my titration schedule was then. My doctor is going to be out for a couple months, and I won't be able to see him. I don't want to wait that long. I'm just looking for a general titration schedule. Or even a link to one. 

Fwiw, his recommended titration schedule for Zoloft has always been 25mg for seven days, then stop (which sounds fast IMO). But he's a double-board certified psychiatrist, with all kinds of honors and degrees and decades of experience, so there's that. That's why I'm trying to get some "real world experience." I've gotten off Z a couple times, but got back on. I'm staying on the Z for the time being. 

Anyway, anyone have any schedule for 1mg of Klonopin? I'd greatly appreciate it. The pharmacist said I should start cutting one of the 0.5 tablets in half for "a while." Pretty vague, lol. 

As @jt07 said above, you should wait until you see your pdoc to start tapering ANYTHING........The pharmacist is not a doc.

We can't give titration schedules or tapering advice, only your pdoc can.......As said above, what's the big rush?

Edited by CrazyRedhead