CrazyBoards.org

Mirapex/Pramipexole extreme leaden fatigue / exhaustion

Hi all,

just wanted to know if any other Mirapex users out there have experienced periods of severe jetlag-level physical exhaustion with muscular weakness?

I was having no side effects on 0.25mg, then 0.5mg and so went to 0.75mg and BOOM. The following day I literally couldn't leave bed, open my eyes, move - the works until about mid afternoon. Interestingly my mood wasn't too bad during the exhausted period, it was just those very intense side effects.

Anyone else experienced this? Did you just go back down in dose and stay at that lower dose for longer before trying to go back up, or did you just say "OK, that's obviously too much for me, I'm sticking at the lower dose"?

Any insight or advice appreciated.

Best of luck to all,

Pete

I've taken Mirapex and while I never experienced it with Mirapex, I did experience something similar with Neupro, another dopamine agonist, the very first time I took it. Sleep attacks are a known side effect of dopamine agonists. I don't know if we know what causes them or not, but it's a thing that happens with them.

Talk to your pdoc about it for sure. S/he may want to decrease the dose or possibly switch even dopamine agonists altogether--likely ropinirole (Requip) or Neupro (rotigotine transdermal), possibly bromocriptine (Parlodel), not likely cabergoline (Dostinex). (I've read of antidepressant properties of the first two, but not of the latter two.)

Best of luck to you!

Edited by mikl_pls
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

I've taken Mirapex and while I never experienced it with Mirapex, I did experience something similar with Neupro, another dopamine agonist, the very first time I took it. Sleep attacks are a known side effect of dopamine agonists. I don't know if we know what causes them or not, but it's a thing that happens with them.

Talk to your pdoc about it for sure. S/he may want to decrease the dose or possibly switch even dopamine agonists altogether--likely ropinirole (Requip) or Neupro (rotigotine transdermal), possibly bromocriptine (Parlodel), not likely cabergoline (Dostinex). (I've read of antidepressant properties of the first two, but not of the latter two.)

Best of luck to you!

thanks as always mikl_pls. I emailed him yesterday with my findings but the lack of a reply indicates he doesn't think there's any cause for concern and that I've taken sensible action (reduce dose). I took 0.5mg last night and did not get the jetlag/leaden limbs/gravity x 10 effect. So I'm likely just gonna sit at 0.5mg for a bit before trying to up it again.

Cheers, Pete

6 hours ago, sming said:

thanks as always mikl_pls. I emailed him yesterday with my findings but the lack of a reply indicates he doesn't think there's any cause for concern and that I've taken sensible action (reduce dose). I took 0.5mg last night and did not get the jetlag/leaden limbs/gravity x 10 effect. So I'm likely just gonna sit at 0.5mg for a bit before trying to up it again.

Cheers, Pete

So you take yours all at once in one dose at bedtime? Though it's common to dose the instant release all in one dose, it's really supposed to be taken in three divided doses during the day. Perhaps that would be something to discuss with your pdoc too. It may help alleviate the side effect you're experiencing, or it may exacerbate it, I dunno. But it's just something to consider with your pdoc I suppose.

0.5 mg doesn't divide evenly into 3 doses, so you could either take 0.125 mg tid for 0.375 mg or 0.25 mg tid for 0.75 mg.

There's also an extended release version of Mirapex, Mirapex ER, which has 0.375 mg ER or 0.75 mg ER and could be taken once at night.

• Like 1