CrazyBoards.org

compulsive overeating

anyone familiar with compulsive overeating?  I always considered myself as having disordered eating patterns/thinking, rather than an actual disorder, because I didn't meet the criteria for the ED that I know about.  I figured that because I'm not binging and I'm obese, that eliminated the main options.  But the compulsive overeating definition fits me quite well.  I'm not sure if there's a difference in treating the two problems and I'm not sure where to start beyond telling my therapist.  Maybe that's a good enough place to start. 

Edited by dancesintherain

Try and eat bigger meals earlier in the day.  Make sure you get a good amount of protein in each meal.  That will help keep you fuller for longer. 

Stay away from sugary beverages, it will make you want to eat more.  Unfortunately diet beverages with aspartame will cause the same effect. 

Water is really the best option.  Drink a lot of it and that will help with hunger as well. 

There are also stimulant free supplements that can help.  Lean mode is one that I have taken in the past, and had good luck with. 

While I have been diagnosed with binge eating disorder, I don't feel that exactly fits me. I have issues with compulsive eating, not necessarily overeating. I kinda graze, but do it often, and eat things that aren't good for me, especially around this time of the year. I also go through periods of time where I don't eat much at all, but then have periods of time where I eat everything in the house. I have gained a significant amount of weight lately, and it's very discouraging as I am really trying very hard to lose weight that I gained on Parnate a couple of years ago. It just won't come off.

There are several medications that can help with compusivity, be it with compulsive eating, compulsive spending, etc. I'm taking Namenda off-label for compulsive spending caused by Abilify, and I've noticed that my compuslive eating has gone down quite a bit, though I still has breakthrough "episodes." I think Lamictal has an off-label use for it too, but you're already on that. Topiramate has a use for this too, and has been shown to cause weight loss and reduce appetite in most people who take it (not me though! lol). Zonisamide is also another anticonvulsant similar to topiramate that reduces appetite and causes weight loss. Vyvanse has an indication for BED, but I dunno if your pdoc would let you take a stimulant.

Here is an article on pharmacological treatment of binge-eating disorder (I know you said you don't think you have BED, but these medications might be something to look into with your pdoc). It's not the article I was looking for, as there was a more in-depth article I was looking for but couldn't find it...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4491373/

Also, I had great success with the ketogenic diet a few years back. It's hard to get used to and get the hang of it, and I won't lie, it's hard to stick with it, but if you can manage to stick with it, it naturally has an appetite-suppressing effect due to its high protein and high fat intake--it makes you feel fuller longer without having to eat as much food, and makes it easier to create a calorie deficit. If you can stay in ketosis, you can lose A TON of weight very quickly. I lost 40 lb within about 5 months, though I could've probably lost more quicker had I really stuck with the diet more diligently. I've been trying to get back on the diet but I just haven't been able to get my carb intake down low enough to be on it again. It's like my body is resistant to it or something. 

Edited by mikl_pls

thanks both of you for the suggestions.  @gb84, I appreciate the different changes that I can make to what I'm currently trying.  @mikl_pls, I didn't realize that there were drug options for this sort of problem.  I'm not sure I want to jump to one right away, but it's good to know that they're there.  I'll read through the article though, because I do see my psychiatrist on Wednesday.  I also deal with a lot of the behavioral problems that you've mentioned...though my biggest issue is eating everything at night.  When I'm laying in bed and can't fall asleep, I'll get up and eat something.  Then, because I'm not sleeping through the night, I eat when I wake up and then I wake up enough to get pretty significant calories (between the earlier night-time eating and anything in the middle of the night).  But it's not all at once/in a short period of time.

Edited by dancesintherain