CrazyBoards.org

Coping with Physical Symptoms

I just got home after being away for 6 days to visit a friend out of state for the American Thanksgiving holiday. While away, I didn't, uh, poop. Usually I go once a day or every other day. But I seem to... not when I'm away from home (this has happened before, pretty consistently). 

I'm not very in touch with my body, so this doesn't generally leave me uncomfortable... but it seems like it could be bad? And perhaps indicative of anxiety? I dislike traveling, but it's kind of a necessity. I will be doing more traveling for my job, too. So... I don't really want to take laxatives (and, wow this feels like way TMI but... taking "softeners" seems like... not the problem? When I pooped at home this evening it was a normal consistency). Is there, uh, something else I can do? When I'm not even aware of what specifically I'm anxious about? (assuming that's what it is, I suppose...) Not sure I can bring this up with anyone in a face to face kind of thing... hard enough just here. 

sounds like anxiety-based constipation to me. messing with your routine (such as in the case of travelling) can mess with your body functions. if your brain decides that you're not in a situation where you can use the bathroom, it'll kind of suppress the urge until it feels you can go. anxiety can compound this to a more major degree.

i'm assuming you just didn't feel the need to poop, rather than that you couldn't, or that you were holding it. if that's the case, and you weren't uncomfortable, and you had no trouble getting back on schedule when you were home, i'm not sure there's much to do. coffee can help you start moving, as well as fiber and upping your water intake. if you like prune juice/dried prunes, those work great as well. maybe keep a laxative in your travel bag in case you start feeling uncomfortable. next time you travel, after a few days i'd try pooping to see if you can get anything out, even if your body isn't sending you signals.

bodies can be weird. i would make note of this and keep an eye on it when you travel, but as long as you feel alright and are okay when you're not travelling, i don't think i'd worry too much.

@Geek this happens to me too. When I travel I get, well I get travel constipation. I don’t know why this happens. But it always does. Luckily I don’t travel often and if I do it’s for 4 days maximum. I had never thought about an anxiety connection.  

Have you tried fiber powder that’s usually orange flavored (psyllium husk)? That’s supposed to keep a person “regular” and it works. I’ve used it in the past due to a med that was causing constipation. It might be something to ask your dr about. It Isn’t a laxative or anything like that. 

I hope you can figure this out. I know how miserable the travel constipation can be. Ugh.

23 hours ago, echolocation said:

sounds like anxiety-based constipation to me. messing with your routine (such as in the case of travelling) can mess with your body functions. if your brain decides that you're not in a situation where you can use the bathroom, it'll kind of suppress the urge until it feels you can go. anxiety can compound this to a more major degree.

i'm assuming you just didn't feel the need to poop, rather than that you couldn't, or that you were holding it. if that's the case, and you weren't uncomfortable, and you had no trouble getting back on schedule when you were home, i'm not sure there's much to do. coffee can help you start moving, as well as fiber and upping your water intake. if you like prune juice/dried prunes, those work great as well. maybe keep a laxative in your travel bag in case you start feeling uncomfortable. next time you travel, after a few days i'd try pooping to see if you can get anything out, even if your body isn't sending you signals.

bodies can be weird. i would make note of this and keep an eye on it when you travel, but as long as you feel alright and are okay when you're not travelling, i don't think i'd worry too much.

Yes, I am a creature of habit, so I guess you’re right that it’s related to the change in routine. Definitely true that I just don’t feel the urge. Sometimes I have suppressed it because I’d rather go at home than at work, but that’s atypical.

So yeah... no urge or discomfort and I seem to “reset” reasonably quickly. I will try to remember to try going even without the urge next time it happens. A younger sibling had anxiety-induced constipation as a young child (6 or 7) and I don’t want to leave it so long it requires other (unpleasant) treatment like sibling received. 

@Wonderful.Cheese, I may look into soluble fiber. Or bring it up with gdoc. I need a new gdoc, especially if I will be traveling (flying) more for work. I guess this could be a “screening question” oh boy!

Thanks for normalizing this guys. I’d still love to hear others’ thoughts/experiences too!