CrazyBoards.org

Chronic worrier here

How can I stop worrying so much?  Sometimes I'm scared to make myself sick.

I worry sooo much about work.  I always feel that "the other shoe is going to drop" and I'm going to get fired or in trouble at work.  I did goof up and opened blabbed to one person some info. that was supposed to be confidential, so I'm a little stressed about the possibility that that could come back to bite me in the ass.  But I also just stress that I'll mess something else up...anything.  I always feel that I'm going to screw up and that I won't be able to hold a job and take care of myself.

I worry about relationships.  When I haven't heard from a friend in a while, I worry that they don't like me anymore...or that I offended them...or that I'm a reject.  I worry that friends are just pretending to like me and that my anxiety and worries annoy them...I worry about this even if they don't say anything to that effect!  I'm so overly sensitive.

When I'm dating I worry about being rejected...about saying to wrong thing...about sounding too opinionated or not smart enough...about hiding my depression, etc.

What can I do to stop this damn worrying.  It's messing up my life and making me miserable.  My doc is not a fan of meds like lorezepam.  The SSRIs haven't helped me much either.

What can I do to stop this damn worrying.  It's messing up my life and making me miserable.  My doc is not a fan of meds like lorezepam.  The SSRIs haven't helped me much either.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I totally understand where you're coming from.  I am a chronic worrier, too.  The thing that has helped me is a combination of lamictal, abilify, and zyprexa.  After a while, the ativans just didn't help anymore, and I was tired of being "out of it" all the time.  Start trying some meds and see what happens.  With the guidance of your pdoc, you will find the right combination.  Thanks for sharing and best wishes.  Let us know how it goes.

Work related worry takes over my life. Actually anything that has to do with people makes me paranoid and pisses me off. Hopefully meds+therapy will help. If only the right meds come along and the right therapist!

CBT can be useful in overcoming excessive worry. It helps you to learn appropriate responses to various situations (I am oversimplifying this greatly).

When I was first starting out in my career (in the early 80s), not only did I have to put up with the dress code (no open-toed shoes or sleeveless garments), I had to put up with neurotic self. I was a proofreader---everytime I missed something, I about crucified myself.

Now I'm a medical editor, most of the time I realize I'm human---I still hate to make mistakes---but the world won't end and I won't lose my job and people will still think I'm smart even if I do make a mistake now and then or say something stupid.

Back in the 80s, I was in therapy, and CBT helped immensely---no meds. Now, I have other issues on top of anxiety, so a psychiatrist and tons o' pills are helping. I also attribute the fact that I worry less to age---I'm 45 and I really don't give a rat's a** what most people at work think---they NEED me.

Best, dianebea

oh, how i feel your pain.

this is ALL i do. my cocktail initially took 98% of this away (lamictal, topamax, and xanax) ...but as of late its come back in full force - i believe its because of a recent health issue and im undergoing some tests.

thats my problem, i worry about my health. 

im a hypochondriac.  i turn completely psychotic, and make myself sick over VERY small things.

i believe, though, that working with your pdoc and some solid therapy can really help.

tal

I hear you too.  I worry about many things too. Not usually the important things tho, the stupid irrational things that usually begin with "what if".  I only take Zoloft right now and xanax more now than usual and wondering if a combo will be in my future.  Sorry I couldn't help, but I can certainly sympathize.  Kris.

I worry sooo much about work.  I always feel that "the other shoe is going to drop" and I'm going to get fired or in trouble at work.  I did goof up and opened blabbed to one person some info. that was supposed to be confidential, so I'm a little stressed about the possibility that that could come back to bite me in the ass.  But I also just stress that I'll mess something else up...anything.  I always feel that I'm going to screw up and that I won't be able to hold a job and take care of myself.

I worry about relationships.  When I haven't heard from a friend in a while, I worry that they don't like me anymore...or that I offended them...or that I'm a reject.  I worry that friends are just pretending to like me and that my anxiety and worries annoy them...I worry about this even if they don't say anything to that effect!  I'm so overly sensitive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Devon,

Been there done that.  Before meds and psychotherapy help, I was a completely racked with anxiety about everything.  In terms of relationships (especially romantic) I CONSTANTLY worried about being left, even though things were going well.  I totally avoided ever expressing any negative feelings for fear that if we even argued, he would drop me, which is totally irrational.  Work life....ug.  Granted, my job then was more stressful than the one I have now, but I let work come home with me and would cry everyday when I got home, worrying that I wasn't meeting expectations and would get fired.  Again, not true and not worth driving yourself miserable because of.

Are you seeing a therapist??  This is probably where I get most of my help to see that these feelings are not only irrational, but un-healthy bc the more anxious I get, the more poorly things go for me.  Anyway, Lamictal & Seroquel work great for me as well.  Seroquel kicks my anxiety in the ass actually.

Luck!

Archived