CrazyBoards.org

New Adderall Rx

My PCP just prescribed me Adderall.  I've had a lot of pdocs/tdocs over the years suggest an ADD-inattentive dx, but i was never prescribed anything for it before so I have zero experience with this type of med.

I haven't started it yet. I'm a little nervous because I have had some crappy experiences with negative side effects and withdrawal symptoms with other meds.

I know you can't offer medical advice, but any anecdotal experiences / advice for a newbie would be really awesome. I know even the best of doctors cannot paint the full picture of a med, only you, the actual users of the medication know what the experience is really like. Appreciate whatever anyone would care to share.

Adderall is a good med.  Just take it slow.  Either you like it or you don't.

Stimulants are the lifeblood for treating my depression.  They also allow me to focus and get things done.  So for me it treats two things at once.   

I haven't experienced any negative side effects at all.  

Is your Adderall IR or ER?  You may want to test both out before you decide which one is best suited for you.

25 minutes ago, gb84 said:

Is your Adderall IR or ER?  

10 mg XR

i didn't realize it could help depression too. that actually makes good sense, but i hadn't thought of it. that could be a really good thing for me, especially at this time of the year in new england. thank you. so glad your meds are helping you so much! 

Edited by WytchyWoman
  • Thanks 1

Amphetamine stimulants gave me my life back. When I started Adderall 6 years ago, I was like "WHERE HAS THIS BEEN ALL MY LIFE?" Apparently when I was an adolescent, I was tried on Adderall when it first came out, but I didn't react well to it. It gave me stomach aches and made me depressed or something like that. I don't even remember taking it, but my mom remembers it. I swear I remember taking something from a bottle that said methyl-... but she swears it was Adderall. But yeah, I had already graduated college and was going back for post-baccalaureate classes for the fun of it and when my PCP added the Adderall to my Wellbutrin, it was like a new life being handed to me. That feeling didn't last long, but I am still at a much higher level of functioning since starting stimulants than I've ever been, and I think I continue to improve. Dexedrine I feel is superior to Adderall, but almost no one will prescribe it. If I ever get cut off from it, I'll take Adderall for sure. I'll take what I can get so long as the dosage is sufficient for my needs (I require high doses--my ADHD-PI and hypersomnia are very treatment resistant).

No need to be afraid of it. Like @Velvet Elvis said, that's a pediatric starting dose, so you should be fine. Unless you have genetic predispositions for having bad reactions to amphetamines, you should be fine. If you do have a bad reaction, you could just try switching to another amphetamine product like Vyvanse, or try switching to a Ritalin-based product, like Ritalin IR, Ritalin LA (which I've heard isn't the best long-acting Ritalin product), Metadate CD (one of the better long-acting ones), Concerta (also one of the better long-acting ones), etc. (there's like a ton of them).

Best of luck to you!

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the feedback. I am going to try it tomorrow morning. I figure, just in case there are any side effects, I would rather have them on a weekend than at work.  My PCP said it was a low dose, but it helps a lot to know specifically that it's a starting dose for pediatric treatment. I'm hoping i have a revelatory experience like you did @mikl_pls; I am truly at my wits end at this point. Fingers crossed. 

10 hours ago, WytchyWoman said:

Thanks so much for the feedback. I am going to try it tomorrow morning. I figure, just in case there are any side effects, I would rather have them on a weekend than at work.  My PCP said it was a low dose, but it helps a lot to know specifically that it's a starting dose for pediatric treatment. I'm hoping i have a revelatory experience like you did @mikl_pls; I am truly at my wits end at this point. Fingers crossed. 

Remember it's such a low dose that u might need to work up to the revelatory experience...patience sucks but you don't wanna jack up the dose too fast...hang in there and best of luck!!

• Like 1

I doubt you will at that low a dose. When do you talk next with your doc ? It is common to start Adderall and most stimulants low and slowly stair step the dose, increasing slowly. 

Edited by notloki
do

4 hours ago, WytchyWoman said:

i finally started today, not noticing much myself ... we shall see. is it an immediate reaction or something that builds up?

It works at once provided you are at the correct dose. With amphetamine some often do not feel like they are on anything. You need to look at behavior to see the effects.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, notloki said:

With amphetamine some often do not feel like they are on anything. You need to look at behavior to see the effects.

thank you  so much for this.

i noticed a weird thing. i can read again. with focus and clarity. i haven't been able to for so many years now i can't remember when i could. this tiny thing is huge.

also, while i almost forgot to eat dinner, once my stomach growled i cooked myself hot food (not bread and cheese or cereal), and washed the dishes immediately after eating, not 3 days later when i had no more clean spoons. 

also i swept and vacuumed.

i've pretty much just been sitting on the couch for the last couple of months, so while this doesn't sound like a lot, it really is, for me. and if it is cumulative, perhaps i may just get my life back in time. 

i really appreciate the information and support from everyone. i was very afraid to try this. but i'm glad i did now.

Edited by WytchyWoman
  • Like 1