CrazyBoards.org

I’m sorry. I’m not sure where I should post this. 

How do you stay out of bed? I have no friends or pets or kids or job to keep me going. I’m on SSDI and I’m so crazy I can’t even care for a pet. :( We tried two dogs but I got too stressed.

I can’t get myself to stay out of bed and just lay there listening to voices or getting messages from the universe and the sensor in my brain. The messages and voices theme are almost always about death or someone getting hurt that I know or love. That makes me depressed and makes me want to stay in bed even more/longer. It’s a bad cycle. I have zero motivation too.

Anyone know of any tips or tricks to staying out of bed? Why am I such a failure that I can’t even do this simple task that my pdoc told me to stay out of bed? 

First your not a failure...many people with MI have that issue...me includes sometimes

do you have someone around to help keep u up? Pdoc instructions are often easier said than done...did they give any strategies?

also- it seems like maybe getting more of a handle on the psychosis (also easier said than done) might improve your chances of success...maybe as the med changes evolve there will be more paths to success 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

Anyone know of any tips or tricks to staying out of bed? Why am I such a failure that I can’t even do this simple task that my pdoc told me to stay out of bed? 

You aren't a failure, Cheese........I have this same problem....I have a tendency to stay in bed, too, due to deep depression and all these crappy OCD rituals I feel compelled to do every day.....

This may sound silly, but technically it is staying out of bed.....I have a nice comfortable chair in my living room that I sit in, and sometimes I turn the T.V. on.........Personally, that helps me stay out of bed (most days).....

• Thanks 1

Can you think of it as a series of exposures where you're progressively making it harder (and only when you're ready)?

For example, if your starting point is in your bed, lying down, lights out...then step one could be hanging your legs off the bed and sitting up, step two could be turning the lights on, step three could be going to the door to your bedroom, step four could be leaving your bedroom, but only staying out for a few minutes...and so on?  I had to do something similar during my most recent hospitalization at the suggestion of one of the hospital social workers.  so it can be done. 

that may sound complicated and I'm sorry if it does.  But the idea is to gradually take on more as your anxiety/symptoms adjust to what you're doing.  So you wouldn't do all those steps on one day necessarily.  You'd work at step one until you're okay with handling it. 

Beyond that, I think Crazy Redhead's comment about having a good place to go is also helpful.  That way, it's not just about staying out of somewhere....it's staying in somewhere positive.  Comfy blanket?  Comfy chair?  Magazine or crocheting stuff?

most importantly....try not to beat yourself up over this.  this is hard stuff.  non-MI people don't get it.  it's okay to struggle with it. 

• Thanks 1

been there so many times. This sounds so simple, but it helps me: when you get up in the morning, make your bed if you can. Totally get it if you can’t, but even just smoothing down the covers will help. Stack the pillows in a corner, or on a chair, whatever. Basically just make it more of a hassle to get comfortable again. Don’t give yourself a reason to go back to your bedroom. If you plan to shower later, take your clothes with you. Grab anything you might want later. Open your blinds/curtains. Hell, if it’s cold out, open the window a bit. Make the bedroom uncomfortable. And if it doesn’t bother you, close the door (some doors I can’t handle being closed). 

During my last serious depression, I set it in my mind that if I wanted to nap, or just lay down, living room only. And on the small couch, which is too short to stretch out.  Fell into habit now, the only time I set foot in my bedroom during the day anymore is if I’m putting away clothes. 

All easier said than done, I know. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the wonderful ideas. I will keep these in mind for today for sure. It’s a battle every day. 

@Rabbit37 those are excellent tips! Thank you! And @dancesintherain I love your tips too! Thank you!

@CrazyRedhead I have a comfy spot to sit on on our couch. Or up by our counter on some stools. I often used to crochet there. I need to stick to sitting up and sitting there. Great idea! Thanks! I will try my best!

I will tell my Tdoc how bad it’s gotten @Iceberg. I also see my case manager today and I’ll discuss this with her too. Thanks!

@Gatorgirl I have never tried an OCD med. I just started lexapro if that is anything helpful? I don’t think I’ve ever been told I have OCD but it’s something I could look into. Thanks!