CrazyBoards.org

Has anyone been able to take a xanax before surgery

I have a problem. I have to have a procedure done (out patient) that involves twilight sedation. 1.) I've never had that before   2.) i take effexor and Klonopin daily so that i don't panic. 3) if my surgery is scheduled in the afternoon, would i be allowed to take a xanax to tie me over before I arrive for surgery.  I have sever panic attacks and the thought of have surgery is going to give me a panic attack. Have any of you been allowed to take a chill pill before surgery???

1 hour ago, Ethansmom said:

Have any of you been allowed to take a chill pill before surgery???

Yes, but I asked the doc first before the procedure......My appt was at around 10-11am, and he told me I could take .5mg  of my Klonopin that morning around 7am or so, if I felt I needed it......My procedure went well with no problems.

So I agree with Iceberg, just ask the doc beforehand what you can take.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

I asked my doctor and she said not to take meds before the procedure unless it was thyroid medicine. When the office called me, I told them I take meds everyday and that I will have a panic attack if I don’t take a Xanax before hand. She told me that she would check with the anesthesiologist 

The surgery will either be later this month or early January. I won’t take Xanax or klonopin if the doc says no. I just have really bad anticipatory anxiety, and I’m not sure how to handle it. I just upped my Effexor dose two days ago and I’m super woozy , but highly anxious. I hope it settles soon