CrazyBoards.org

Why is it so difficult to find competent therapists?

Finding a therapist who has extensive experience in treating severe mental illness (and not only the worried well) who is not also power hungry and self-involved, is extremely difficult. I'm happy to say that after years of wasted time in my twenties seeing what I now deem to be incompetent therapists, I finally found the right one who both understands me and has an investment in my well being. I'm very, very grateful, for this, but my pessimistic side asks what I'm going to do when he retires and I can no longer see him., or what if something unforeseen happens. How will I find another gifted therapist like him? I find myself gathering profiles of potential interest for when the time comes that I'll need to see a new therapist... are these efforts futile?

Edited by Nullo
  • Like 1

There is a high burnout rate among therapists; I mean who really wants to listen all day to depressed folk and the mentally ill ? Very defeating given most people are never going to change their behaviors anyway. The good therapists fill up fast and are in high demand so what is left is mediocre. The same goes for medical doctors, high rates of burnout and high rates of drug abuse to cope.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

so far I have found that it is because no one seems to stick to their god damned training after they leave college

college: don't try to push people in a certain direction, don't show a preference for a certain behavior over another
therapist: yeah sure, but she really SHOULD do this and I'm a tell her

college: listen, wait for the person to speak, you don't need to fill every single silence
therapist: no, I have too many helpful things to say and only an hour in which to say them

college: everyone is different
therapist: I read this thing is helpful for 80% of people so I'm going to push 100% of people into doing it

I could go on and on

Edited by Antecedent
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Antecedent said:

I could go on and on

There is also the problem of insurance.....More and more therapists are not accepting insurance, especially Medicare and Medicaid...

I don't really fit too well with my current therapist, but she does accept my Medicare.....When I look into finding a new therapist, I find that most of them either don't take my insurance, or are not accepting new patients......So I'm stuck with a mediocre therapist for now.............

I did find another therapist who specializes in severe OCD, and accepts Medicare, but she has a 9 month waiting list...So there you go......

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 2

My insurance limits me to therapists in their network. Many have their specialties listed, and none have "bipolar" listed, but lots of anxiety, depression, etc.

I have been going to a therapist, but he prefers to deal with relationships and family/childhood stuff. I think that's what he is used to. If I bring up one of my delusions or hallucinations, it goes nowhere. And, we don't do any OCD stuff.

I question whether it's worth it. I don't want to try a new one because on paper I look batshit crazy. It's like they don't realize that bipolar has periods of stability. I once tried a new one and she was boring as hell, so I looked away. She said "are you seeing people right now?" WTF? 

I do have a good pdoc, but that's not therapy, and it's only every 2-3 months.

• Like 2