CrazyBoards.org

I've been looking around and all the O3 supplements I've found tend to have low levels of both EPA and DHA and the ones that have reasonably high levels per capsule are quite expensive.  I stumbled upon the website for a pharmaceutical called Omacor which is basically extremely potent fish oil in terms of EPA and DHA content (465 mg of EPA and 375 mg DHA per pill).  That and since it's FDA approved  you know, for the most part, that that's an accurate assesment of the contents. 

It is officially approved for people with high triglyceride levels, but I was wondering if anyone's been able to get it Rx off-label, and more importantly, if they've been able to get their insurance to cover it.  I did a search of my plans drug formulary and it doesn't seem to even be there.  I'm gonna give them a call on Monday to see what the deal is, but it would probably wind up being a hell of a lot cheaper than buying OTC O3 supplements, particularly if obtained as a 90 day supply. 

Beyond this, I know there's a thread on various brands and such, but I wanted to know if anyone has found an OTC O3 supplement that doesn't have any fishiness to it.  I absolutely abhor (and abhor is not a strong enough word) the smell/taste of fish, but I really, really want to try the whole O3 thing for my (presumably) uni-polar dysthymia as an adjunct to WB, as I don't want to add in an SSRI if I don't have to.  Thanks for reading.

Edited for grammar

I imagine you already have looked at these, but here are the links I found:

http://www.omacor.com/

http://www.omacorrx.com/default.htm

http://www.omacor.co.uk/

Also, it looks to be distributed through Reliant Pharmaceuticals in the USA and Solvay Pharmaceuticals elsewhere.

BTW, my interest in it is this: I tried using Omega 3/Fish Oil for a few weeks. I noticed an improvement in my mood stability, but I also noticed a increase in flare-ups with my already sensitive skin. Stopped taking the Omega 3 for about the last 1.5 weeks, and while my skin has calmed down a bit my mood has been worse.

Don't know if this is a problem with using Omega 3/Fish Oil itself, or if it's maybe a matter of the product quality. So, a trial with Omacor seems worthy of investigation.

hmm.  i'm going to ask my doc about it next week.  see if we can get it covered (my cholesterol rocks though, moreso after a year of taking omegas)

Beyond this, I know there's a thread on various brands and such, but I wanted to know if anyone has found an OTC O3 supplement that doesn't have any fishiness to it.  I absolutely abhor (and abhor is not a strong enough word) the smell/taste of fish, but I really, really want to try the whole O3 thing for my (presumably) uni-polar dysthymia as an adjunct to WB, as I don't want to add in an SSRI if I don't have to.  Thanks for reading.

my favs are:

OmegaBrite which is 20.99 for a box of 60, though you need to take 3 a day to get above the 1000 mg of EPA dose reccomended on the box and by most studies.  but if you do the auto-refill program (it's mail order) you get 10% off

and

Nordic Naturals high EPA formula which 26.95 from the website for 60 pills (two pills gets youe 850 of EPA, so you'll need 3 a day if you want to get to 1000mg of EPA) but you may be able to get it cheaper in vitamin stores.  it's lemon flavored.

i've never ever had a fish burp from either of these brands. but you must refrigerated your omega supplements!  fish taste usually means the pills have gone rancid.

i'll let you know if i get Omacor covered by my insurance

Penny

• 4 weeks later...

okay, i now have an rx for omacor.  tomorrow i'll see if my insurance will cover it.  i looked it up and there's an x next to it in the formulary which is a bad sign.  though, i'm on 2 medications that aren't in the formulary, and both of those meds are off label (and one the formulary specifically says is "not for mental health purposes") so we'll see?  i now completly do not understand what a formulary is, but it's nice that my doctors (and pharmacy, i have a nice pharmacy) fight for my meds.  do pharmacists get christmas cards or anything? 

anyone want to explain a formulary to me?

My consultant psychiatrist prescribed me a mega high dose of Omacor but my GP changed it to basic piffly little cod liver oil capsules as she thought Omacor has more affinity with heart patients.  ;)   Way to over-ride the consultant's wishes! I never noticed much difference in any case. I am pretty stable now but it may be because I am taking my psych meds as prescribed and not due to the Omacor.

My consultant psychiatrist prescribed me a mega high dose of Omacor but my GP changed it to basic piffly little cod liver oil capsules as she thought Omacor has more affinity with heart patients.  ;)   Way to over-ride the consultant's wishes! I never noticed much difference in any case. I am pretty stable now but it may be because I am taking my psych meds as prescribed and not due to the Omacor.

the standard dose is 4 grams... which sounds mega high but it's oil not an pharma compound. 

technically, omacor is just for heart patients... but it seems like half of what we take on this board is technically for something else.  one of the psych articles i read on the use of omega 3s made a joke that omega 3s are more studied for psych purposes than neurontin ever has been, and shit everyone was on neurontin there a few years back.

are you on omacor now?

i've never thought that omegas should be thought of as a substitute for medication, but i think they're good as an add on, and i've yet to read something really showing that there's a danger in them, and have read things showing they help.  and omacor gets around that whole "supplements are not regulated by the FDA and fish oil is chock full of mercury" objection.  (plus, hopefully, insurance will pay for it.)

um.  i'm rambling.  have i mentioned that i didn't sleep last night? 

the standard dose is 4 grams... which sounds mega high but it's oil not an pharma compound. 

technically, omacor is just for heart patients... but it seems like half of what we take on this board is technically for something else.  one of the psych articles i read on the use of omega 3s made a joke that omega 3s are more studied for psych purposes than neurontin ever has been, and shit everyone was on neurontin there a few years back.

are you on omacor now?

I have a few bottles left of my Omacor before I have to switch back to my measly little cod liver oil capsules (tiny dose, one a day).

I will miss Omacor. MMMmmmm Fishy burps! MMMMmmmm

I use OmegaRx. Here's the URL.

The daily serving of four gel capsules provides 1.6 grams EPA and .8 grams DHA. They also have it in a lime-flavored liquid where you take 1 tsp. per day. The capsules (4 per day) end up costing *gulp* $1,33 per day and the liquic $1.39 per day. I haven't been able to get it as a prescription. It is slightly helpful to me for mood stability, but not as an antidepressant. But my cholesterol numbers are great and it makes me feel like I'm doing something healthy to offset some of the bad effects of the omega-6 fats.

FWIW

ok YAY

my insurance approved Omacor without even asking for prior authorization.

while it doesn't have nearly as good a ration of EPA:DHA as OmegaBrite, the daily dose of Omacor provides 1860 mgs of EPA for the cost of a copay.  I don't think there's anything particuraly wrong with the extra DHA, it's just unneeded for mood as far as studies go.  (Omacor is, after all, a medication for people with high trigliceride levels, not a psych med.) 

So... I end up with a bit more EPA a day for way less than I was paying before.  Overall, i'm SUPER happy about this.  because i just spend WAY too much money on supplements.

So folks, ask your docs for Omacor!!!

(that is if you want to take an omega supplement, and esp. if you're scared that supplements aren't regulated enough and therefore unsafe.  though i personally feel that OmegaBrite and Nordic Naturals are quite safe.)

penny

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I'd mention here (while I'm searching this board for omega stuff) that an alternative to OmegaBrite is Country Life Omega-3 Mood High EPA Mood Balancing Formula. It's 90 caps, high dose, and can be found for about 15 bucks at a few online stores (I've seen it for about $30 at health food stores, so don't look for it there!). It's got a great EPA: DHA ratio and two caps gives you a full gram of EPA.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been looking at Omega 3's as my therapist thinks it would be a good idea. I can't give brands or ingredients but what I was most interested was that damn fishy burp. I was looking at Sam's club, as they are much cheaper there, and they have an enteric coated tab that keeps you from having the fishy burp. Just in case anyone is interested.

Archived