CrazyBoards.org

I was in horrible shape yesterday. Took more Zyprexa last night doing a bit better. I was not myself at all. Thanks to all that responded. 

I'm still in bad shape as the voices won't stop screaming at me. I had a dose last night and woke up with the voices worse than ever. 

How long can it take for meds to work? Can 2.5 mg of Zyprexa wear off by morning? I'm so tired why ! 

I just read your posts..

I understand what you're going through..

No need to be sorry..

I hear demonic voices and feel tortured..

I feel yelled at by negative voices and it's maddening..

I don't understand why with the medication I'm on I still get these breakthrough symptoms..

It's as if I'm just meant to live my life this way..

I take zyprexa as well as latuda and still go through this..

I'm angry at my pdoc right now..

I shouldn't be..but am..

I think typically aaps are meant to work pretty quickly..

I'm no expert on meds..

I do know that they are sedating so that could be why you're tired..

Just try to rest..take it easy..

I think your best bet is to contact your pdoc..

Sending support..

Edited by coraline

I've left many messages for my doc. I'm with the county and they wont call back. I took it opon myself to take more Zyprexa yesterday. I can't live. I was on the streets before 2 years lost in a different world. Hating all living things. I sat in my own urine and shit. Starvation, heat, and cold almost killed me. I'm not sure if anyone here has ever been that bad. I feel like God hates me and wants me to pay for all the bad I've ever done Pryor of my illness. I wasn't a saint but I sure as hell wasn't a devil. I've beggeg god for forgiveness. No more please god.. 

Oh my god! I'm so terribly sorry to hear that you have gone through that! NO ONE should have to go through that!

Are you bipolar I, schizoaffective, or schizophrenic? I'm just curious. It doesn't really make too much of a difference in dosage titration for you with an antipsychotic, but it could affect the antipsychotic dose.

This is all according to Epocrates:

• For schizophrenia, the starting dose is 5-10 mg, may increase by 5 mg/day every week, max 20 mg/day; may start 2.5-5 mg/day in non-smoker, elderly, debilitated, or female patients or if hypotension risk; doses > 10 mg/day rarely more effective.
  • For bipolar I disorder, manic/mixed:
    [monotherapy]

Dose: 5-20 mg/day; start: 10-15 mg/day, may adjust by 5 mg/day as needed; Max: 20 mg/day; for acute and maintenance therapy; start 5 mg/day in non-smoker, elderly, debilitated or female patients or if hypotension risk
    [valproate or lithium adjunct]
    Dose: 5-20 mg/day; start: 10 mg/day, may adjust by 5 mg/day as needed; Max: 20 mg/day; for a acute therapy; start 5 mg/day in non-smoker, elderly, debilitated or female patients or if hypotension risk

Like I said in your other post, I would also think some adjunctive Haldol would probably help you get things in order just as a temporary adjunct. It wouldn't be for a long-term medication, just long enough to get your symptoms under control, then they could taper you off of it while they're tapering up the Zyprexa. Eventually they would take you off the Haldol and have you on an adequate dose of Zyprexa to control your symptoms adequately. That's just my thinking though. Prolixin would be another alternative to Haldol that would cause less EPS like akathisia acute dystonic reactions, etc. You may need Cogentin while you're first starting the combo to avoid these side effects, but it would be worth it to get these symptoms under control.

I'm really worried about you. I hope you get the help you need. If your pdoc won't call you back, it's in my opinion and my thoughts in your best interest that you should really consider going to the ER. If you don't pose a threat to yourself or others, they shouldn't have to make you go inpatient. They should just give you a shot (probably a depot shot or something, if I had to guess, Invega Sustena, which is every ER's favorite depot shot for some damn reason) until you can get back to your pdoc. They may be able to prescribe you some oral medication like Haldol or Prolixin if you ask them, and Cogentin to prevent side effects from it, but I know my ER here doesn't like to do that.

Please seek help in any way you can, and please keep in touch with us.

• Like 1

Thank you so much. You brought me to tears. I keep getting email from family and friends telling me the meds are poison and will destroy my brain. They want me on niacin and true hope. I've never come back from my first break. I'm confused and scared of the meds know. I've read that phychosis destroys the brain. Im so afraid my god help me stay the right path. Schizophrenia/shizoeffective 

Edited by Help4me

1 hour ago, Help4me said:

Thank you so much. You brought me to tears. I keep getting email from family and friends telling me the meds are poison and will destroy my brain. They want me on niacin and true hope. I've never come back from my first break. I'm confused and scared of the meds know. I've read that phychosis destroys the brain. Im so afraid my god help me stay the right path. Schizophrenia/shizoeffective 

I’m glad you stuck around, Help4me! I’ve been worried about you, too.

It’s really hard when family and friends are not supportive of taking meds, it’s hard enough to take them anyway. But it’s so worth it when you find the right ones.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Help4me said:

Psychosis does destroy your brain, but continuing without meds will continue to destroy your brain. Niacin and "true hope" ain't gonna cut it when it comes to getting the psychosis under control. It simply doesn't work that way. The meds aren't poison and will not destroy your brain. These family and friends of yours sending you these emails are apparently ignorant as to how these medications work. I mean nothing bad about them by saying that, I say "ignorant" as in "they know not." You must be strong and persevere in your own will in taking control over your own mental health. It's your brain, your body, your life.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

Oh my god! I'm so terribly sorry to hear that you have gone through that! NO ONE should have to go through that!

Are you bipolar I, schizoaffective, or schizophrenic? I'm just curious. It doesn't really make too much of a difference in dosage titration for you with an antipsychotic, but it could affect the antipsychotic dose.

This is all according to Epocrates:

• For schizophrenia, the starting dose is 5-10 mg, may increase by 5 mg/day every week, max 20 mg/day; may start 2.5-5 mg/day in non-smoker, elderly, debilitated, or female patients or if hypotension risk; doses > 10 mg/day rarely more effective.
  • For bipolar I disorder, manic/mixed:
    [monotherapy]

Dose: 5-20 mg/day; start: 10-15 mg/day, may adjust by 5 mg/day as needed; Max: 20 mg/day; for acute and maintenance therapy; start 5 mg/day in non-smoker, elderly, debilitated or female patients or if hypotension risk
    [valproate or lithium adjunct]
    Dose: 5-20 mg/day; start: 10 mg/day, may adjust by 5 mg/day as needed; Max: 20 mg/day; for a acute therapy; start 5 mg/day in non-smoker, elderly, debilitated or female patients or if hypotension risk

Like I said in your other post, I would also think some adjunctive Haldol would probably help you get things in order just as a temporary adjunct. It wouldn't be for a long-term medication, just long enough to get your symptoms under control, then they could taper you off of it while they're tapering up the Zyprexa. Eventually they would take you off the Haldol and have you on an adequate dose of Zyprexa to control your symptoms adequately. That's just my thinking though. Prolixin would be another alternative to Haldol that would cause less EPS like akathisia acute dystonic reactions, etc. You may need Cogentin while you're first starting the combo to avoid these side effects, but it would be worth it to get these symptoms under control.

I'm really worried about you. I hope you get the help you need. If your pdoc won't call you back, it's in my opinion and my thoughts in your best interest that you should really consider going to the ER. If you don't pose a threat to yourself or others, they shouldn't have to make you go inpatient. They should just give you a shot (probably a depot shot or something, if I had to guess, Invega Sustena, which is every ER's favorite depot shot for some damn reason) until you can get back to your pdoc. They may be able to prescribe you some oral medication like Haldol or Prolixin if you ask them, and Cogentin to prevent side effects from it, but I know my ER here doesn't like to do that.

Please seek help in any way you can, and please keep in touch with us.

The hospital I work in only uses Fluphenazine, Haloperidol, or Ziprasidone injections. The Fluphenazine we have both long and short-acting. I don't know why we have it compared to the newer depot injections, but that's what we have on formulary. 

17 hours ago, Help4me said:

Having family and friends that aren't supportive makes things very difficult..

I understand that..

It's unfair to you that with all you've been through and are going through that they would think supplements and hope will get you through this..

I would try your best to ignore their advice..

I understand being scared of meds..I go through similar thoughts..

I've had trouble accepting that I need them..

But without them I'd be an even bigger wreck..

People here are smart on giving advice to going to the er to get your meds straightened out..

I know that sounds scary right now..

Especially since from the sounds of it your pdoc is unwilling to get back to you and help you..

If you can afford it I'd recommend getting a private practice pdoc..

It can take a few trials to find one that works out..

But I think that the one you have now doesn't seem helpful..

I get angry at mine from time to time but she's always there for me..

And she does sliding scale fees..so maybe you could find someone like that..

I'd hate for your psychosis to land you back in the streets..

You deserve better than that..

Edited by coraline
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gatorgirl said:

I got a shot of Ziprasidone once while inpatient and it didn’t do ANYTHING!! Is that typical?

Well there is a 10 mg and a 20 mg. the 20 mg knocked me out for a bit and then they just gave me 20 more (it says 10 q 2hr or 20 mg q4 hr) like less than 2 hrs later....that one lasted me until like 5 am the next day. The thing is I react strongly to that med tho so I don't think it's typical but probably depends on multiple things ...including the fact that I already had geodon in my system 

On December 2, 2018 at 1:35 PM, Help4me said:

I've left many messages for my doc. I'm with the county and they wont call back. I took it opon myself to take more Zyprexa yesterday. I can't live. I was on the streets before 2 years lost in a different world. Hating all living things. I sat in my own urine and shit. Starvation, heat, and cold almost killed me. I'm not sure if anyone here has ever been that bad. I feel like God hates me and wants me to pay for all the bad I've ever done Pryor of my illness. I wasn't a saint but I sure as hell wasn't a devil. I've beggeg god for forgiveness. No more please god.. 

Wow...that sounds really really difficult and im glad that u at least are getting some professional help to manage all this. It's really important to try with all your might to keep some faith in the process when things don't seem to be going the right way...we have tons of treatment options for psychosis and/or mood issues That people usually land on something that makes life significantly easier. Zyprexa is a great med for many illnesses, especially psychosis, but as others mentioned it's probably a dose thing at this point. Lots of people take lower dose zyprexa but that isn't always so great for more severe situations. I would think that ur doc would probably want to work up to 20 mg before scrapping it. I actually went up to 30 and had a doc that would go up to 40 if people were getting only partial relief...I'm not saying that to be scary, but that doses can be tough to nail down. @mikl_pls makes a good point about getting something to accelerate you getting relief...no one mentioned Thorazine yet so I will. I know it's not always a crowd favorite, and is slower on psychosis, but it's the best "chill me out right now" PRN med I've ever tried. 

12 hours ago, Gatorgirl said:

I got a shot of Ziprasidone once while inpatient and it didn’t do ANYTHING!! Is that typical?

Depends on the dose and your biochemistry. Everyone's a bit different. I don't find myself sedated by most sedating drugs. Even super potent SSRIs/Tricyclics. Not Gabapentin, not Buspar, not Vistaril, Sonata, Trazodone. I haven't found one yet, not even the Clonazepam. 

Ziprasidone might not be strong enough, or it could be too strong and you had a paradoxical effect. 

When my sister is given antipsychotics or similar drugs she's anxious to high hell. It makes her worse, and helas to get a hefty dose of Ativan to calm her down. We're pretty similar in terms of our bodies handling meds so I suspect the same would happen to me.

Edited by Persona_Is_Life
A detail.

I can't take Zyprexa anymore! It was making me go more insane. Within 20 minutes I was in violent rage and voices got ten time worse. I was screaming at the top my lungs all night. I had a major dystonic reaction at 6 mg. I could not stop eating . Trying lithium and risperdal today. I'm very manic please god let this work.  

3 minutes ago, Help4me said:

I can't take Zyprexa anymore! It was making me go more insane. Within 20 minutes I was in violent rage and voices got ten time worse. I was screaming at the top my lungs all night. I had a major dystonic reaction at 6 mg. I could not stop eating . Trying lithium and risperdal today. I'm very manic please god let this work.  

That sounds like an extreme paradoxical reaction to Zyprexa!!

I really hope the lithium and Risperdal work for you too!

Please take care! If you can, keep us updated.