CrazyBoards.org

Hypo vs justified

I have been doing pretty well and even just finished school. OK maybe on the edge of hypo and spending more but OK enough. So when a job came open that would be a promotion, I applied. I think I interviewed well and all but didn’t get the job because the manager spoke to all the staff and some didn’t want me. Seriously?  That’s what she told me. So I’ll apply elsewhere and hope I get a better job. 

But I did tell her I was disappointed she let hearsay and office politics guide her decisions. Is that justified or being a bit hypo manic?  I had to stop myself saying more. What kind of manager hires that way?  Now I have to work knowing someone trash talked me but not knowing who or how many. I’m going to have to hold it together around my coworkers. It wasn’t my dream job but I thought it was an improvement. I hope I can go through the interview process again. Is this all a normal reaction or am I not balanced enough?  It’s so hard to know. 

I’m self-employed, so therefore not out in the working world per se, but, I’m appalled that the manager chose not to promote you based on staff’s feelings. I would think your capabilitity and talent to do your job would be of utmost importance, not office politics. I think you’re justified, I don’t see this as a hypo issue, but that’s just me. Curious to see others’ opinions. 

It's ok to discuss reasons for not being hired as long as you are courteous and not asking loaded or leading questions.  It sounds like you were ok in asking.

I have interviewed, formally and informally, at several places, and they have said that assuming a candidate had the basic qualifications, the most important factor is personality and how I could develop comradery with the other workers.  That's another way of saying how I "clicked" with the others.  It's a valid concern for employers, and it's particularly important in many workplaces.

It doesn't mean that people spoke negatively of you, it may just mean that they didn't believe you had the personality match for the position.

The manager spoke to me again and told me she had spoken to a couple people who worked with me around 10 years ago at a different job and they had complaints about some aspects of how I worked. I’ve been at my current job over 4 years. What that tells me is that I’d be working with a very poor manager. So I’m glad she explained more about it, tells me a lot about her.  Guess I’ll look for a different job. I think I probably did react appropriately because it took great restraint to not say to her that she was an idiot. 

Yeah, my therapist recently told me that sometimes an adverse decision says more about them than it does about you--and that, as much as it sucks, it can be a good thing.  Mine came in the context of a position that I really thought I was overqualified for and was concerned that I'd have to justify my going lower experience than I had.  Instead, I got an outright rejection as being underqualified.  He wonders if they understood my resume (like whether it got passed to HR instead of someone in my field.  But his point was that if that's the lack of attention that they're going to show for a resume, you might not want the job anyway.