CrazyBoards.org

Job Taking Heavy Toll!

I'm in the middle of applying for SSDI and must hold a job, because my mom is also applying for SSDI and my dad is dead (suicide), so I have no one else to support me and my state doesn't give money to people like me. I'm very afraid I'll go through the cycle of losing my job/being hospitalized/being unemployed/regaining job/getting fired all over again. I can't quit my job- I NEED the money. But I can't take the strain either. Any thoughts?

Questions:  Were you working AT ALL when you filled out the application/ Disability Report Form--Adult? And if so, was it part-time work or full-time work? How much per week or per month were you making?

You mentioned that you are working now. How much per week/month are you making? 

Working at all (except while in a sheltered workshop, perhaps) while in the application process is very risky.  If you are denied (which happens to roughly 70% of applicants), and you appeal (either for Reconsideration or before a judge), the DDS or judge will use the fact that you are working as evidence that you are capable of working and deny your claim.

Remember, that Social Security benefits are not awarded based on your diagnosis alone (with the exception of blindness and deafness). They are awarded based on the diagnosis and the resulting functional limitations.  Not all people with mental impairments are unable to work. For instance, there are many people with bipolar disorder and even schizophrenia who are treated with medication who are impaired but still capable of performing SOME full-time job that exists in the nation's economy.

Also, the SSA does not award on the basis of whether the impairment might become disabling in the future.

As for suggestions, if you do wish to continue to work and pursue your claim, I would sit down with an experienced disability attorney who deals with such issues. A history of short-term failed job attempts, if documented properly, could bolster your claim upon appeal (but again, only do this under the guidance of an attorney).

But I agree that you are in a tough situation. You need money to support yourself, and you live in a state that does not offer short-term disability benefits. They probably tell you to apply for Medicaid and food stamps.  But your state probably has its own rules for Medicaid---perhaps the state can decide on its own criteria for your "disability" in terms of whether you qualify for Medicaid. But you are still stuck with the lack of income.  I believe that I read somewhere on the official ssa.gov website that the SSA assumes that claimants have access to savings, family members, and investments for money resources while waiting for appeals.  This is a faulty assumption.

One other suggestion I can think of (don't know if it will help much)----is to go to Google.com and type: Social Security Disability Coalition  , click enter, click on the link to the first result, and view the resources and the left column. You could even register and type a message on the message board if you would like.

I'm in the middle of applying for SSDI and must hold a job, because my mom is also applying for SSDI and my dad is dead (suicide), so I have no one else to support me and my state doesn't give money to people like me. I'm very afraid I'll go through the cycle of losing my job/being hospitalized/being unemployed/regaining job/getting fired all over again. I can't quit my job- I NEED the money. But I can't take the strain either. Any thoughts?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Loon, I would repeat what I said when you applied, if you're working--at all--you're application for SSDI is fucked. I know it sucks balls, but when I was approved I WAS

indigent

homeless

no income

hospitalized (during the period)

I qualified for $338 in food stamps. I lived on that at $250 a month in child support (2nd child's father is a non payer). My only recourse was to go to the mission or to family and I chose the latter for the children, and it set my PTSD recovery back considerably. But I wasn't taking them to the mission, which would have been preferable to me.

Fast forward one year. I am on SSDI, I'm still broke, but SSDI pays enough (because I worked my ass off for 35 years at jobs where I paid into SSA) for me to live in the poverty-level standard we were used to before I became disabled.

My disability is PRIMARILY physical, mechanical actually, overnight my back just crumbled inside, literally. My MI records were used in determining my application, and they did weigh in moderately.

You can't work and get approved for SSDI, it's practically oxymoronic, unfortunately, welcome to the USA...land of give us your tired huddled masses. Maybe Geroge Bush would let you and Mom crash at a guest house on one of the many residences they own in this great country. <bitterly stops the politcal crap--because I'm NOT politcally hung up or I'd be crazier than I am>

You are so between the fucking rock and the hard place. I wish I could bring you and Mom to my little apt. My heart so goes out to you, and I'm hoping for the best for you.

Hugs.

S9

Archived