CrazyBoards.org

What have been the best antipsychotics for your bipolar depression? (Poll)

What have been the best antipsychotics for your bipolar depression? (Poll)  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What have been the best atypical antipsychotics that have helped you with your bipolar depression?

• aripiprazole (Abilify)
    • aripiprazole (Abilify Discmelt)
    • aripiprazole (Abilify Maintena)
    • clozapine (Clozril, FazaClo, Versacloz)
    • Fanapt (iloperidone)
    • Latuda (lurasidone)
    • paliperidone ER (Invega)
    • olanzapine (Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis)
    • quetiapine (Seroquel)
    • quetiapine ER (Seroquel XR)
    • Vraylar (cariprazine)
    • ziprasidone (Geodon)
    • risperidone (Risperdal)
    • Rexulti (brexpiprazole)
    • Other... (please specify)
  2. 2. What (if any) have been the best typical antipsychotics that have perchance helped you with bipolar depression?

• chlorpromazine (Thorazine)
    • fluphenazine (Prolixin)
    • fluphenazine decanoate
    • haloperidol (Haldol)
    • haloperidol decanoate (Haldol Decanoate)
    • haloperidol lactate (Haldol Lactate)
    • loxapine (Loxitane)
    • perphenazine (Trilafon)
    • pimozide (Orap)
    • prochlorperazine edisylate
    • prochlorperazine maleate (Compazine)
    • thioridazine (Mellaril)
    • thiothixene (Navane)
    • trifluoperazine (Stelazine)
    • Other... (please specify in post)
    • None of the above...

Here's a little poll I put together about the efficacy of antipsychotics for others to vote on. It's my first poll so bear with me if it's screwy.

I just figured it might be neat to see if we could get some anecdotal data among this community.

You can vote on more than one, but try not to vote on like, every single one... lol.

Thanks!

Edited by mikl_pls

5 minutes ago, mikl_pls said:

Here's a little poll I put together about the efficacy of antipsychotics for others to vote on. It's my first poll so bear with me if it's screwy.

I just figured it might be neat to see if we could get some anecdotal data among this community.

You can vote on more than one, but try not to vote on like, every single one... lol.

Thanks!

I don’t think it’s registering my vote. It keeps saying this field must be filled out (meaning the bottom half of the poll I believe, but could be wrong?). It’s like an error message. And I don’t have enough of experience with a typical AP to give a fair vote on one. Maybe I’m not voting correctly though. I tend to get mixed up lol. 

Just now, Wonderful.Cheese said:

I don’t think it’s registering my vote. It keeps saying this field must be filled out (meaning the bottom half of the poll I believe, but could be wrong?). It’s like an error message. And I don’t have enough of experience with a typical AP to give a fair vote on one. Maybe I’m not voting correctly though. I tend to get mixed up lol. 

I keep editing it because I keep realizing I'm forgetting things! XD lol 

Try it again.

Basically 12 hours of intense sedation followed by 12 hours of craziness, rinse and repeat. Akathisia was bad and when we tried to correct by lowering the dose the med just stopped working. Caused some movement coordination. Issues, wherein my family told me that me trying to hit a tennis ball on geodon was the most amusing thing they ever saw. The 500 calorie meal requirement became impossible because of how messed up my circadian rhythm was. 

1 hour ago, Iceberg said:

Basically 12 hours of intense sedation followed by 12 hours of craziness, rinse and repeat. Akathisia was bad and when we tried to correct by lowering the dose the med just stopped working. Caused some movement coordination. Issues, wherein my family told me that me trying to hit a tennis ball on geodon was the most amusing thing they ever saw. The 500 calorie meal requirement became impossible because of how messed up my circadian rhythm was. 

Yikes!! That does sound awful. I’m probably going to stay on Abilify anyway. I think it’s actually helping. I’m only on 10 mg so I can always go up. My concern is akathisia which thankfully hasn’t happened so far. If all goes well for awhile I’m planning on going on Abilify Maintena.

3 hours ago, Gatorgirl said:

Why? Just asking because I was thinking about going on it ?

There is no way you can know how it will work for you unless you try it. Always bear that in mind, and don’t refuse a med because of someone else’s experience.

I was never able to overcome the sedation. I slept 14 hours a day. I fell asleep in bathrooms, at stop signs. It’s the only med my husband has ever asked me to stop.

• Thanks 1

Brexpiprazole is the beating my bipolar depression when I really need it, but Seroquel XR has been one of the best maintenance medications overall in my bipolar 1 treatment and manic episodes. Hard to get used to at first but my doctor allowed me to also begin Modafanil, on top of my Adhd stimulant meds, to counteract the sedative effects of Seroquel XR. Vraylar works well for me for bipolar 1, my experience was brief (3-6 mo.), I just kind of switched myself to a medication with a much shorter half life for a number of reasons.