CrazyBoards.org

So I know I've read in some posts somewhere on here about the effect that various trace metals have on mood regulation and memory, but I can't seem to find those posts.  So my question is, what are the key trace metals involved in mood regulation/anger control and memory (as the combo of clonazepam and low-dose Seroquel has turned me into an idiot)? 

I'm kind of getting fed up with all these pharmies that don't seem to be doing doodily squat for my mood issues and seem to be adding to my memory issues, particularly word recall.  That, and I want to try everything possible before I throw in any kind of AC mood stabilizer as they all seem to have really awful SE (with the exception of Lamictal, which of course I'm allergic to).  Another reason I'm avoiding the ACs is because my mom has had bad reactions to all the ones she's tried (Topamax, Lyrica, Keppra) for her fibro and we tend to have similar reactions to meds. 

Thanks for reading guys and gals.

So I know I've read in some posts somewhere on here about the effect that various trace metals have on mood regulation and memory, but I can't seem to find those posts.  So my question is, what are the key trace metals involved in mood regulation/anger control and memory (as the combo of clonazepam and low-dose Seroquel has turned me into an idiot)? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not up on the trace minerals per se - and a number of them are easy to get too much of (copper,

manganese, selenium, zinc), but if I recall correctly magnesium is reputed to have some decent

mood-stabilizing and anti-convulsant effects. There may be some decent older posts in the epilepsy

forum on the topic.

Zinc might be something to look into. The American College of Nutritional Medicine has an interesting

thumbnail sketch of supplement uses in its glossary of terms.

For memory improvement, you may need to check out the "smart drugs" like piracetam, but research

your costs vs. realistic returns: some are complete BS; some take quite a while to show results; and

some may work but probably aren't worth it. (And of course there may be side effects) YMWV

Anger control? If you don't have hypotension, you may ask your doctor about prescribing Inderal (a centrally-acting beta-blocker, ie. (nor)adrenaline receptor antagonist) in a tiny dose. It's said to work well on aggression (according to numerous clinical trials), I must try it when doing kid's homework one day ;)

It's also suspected of causing depression, but the jury is out on that. The clinical trials are inconclusive.

Of course, it's not "natural", it requires prescription and it's a heart medicine (in higher doses it's used for treating hypertension and some other heart conditions), but it's proven to work.

As far as trace minerals and vitamins go, magnesium is said to stabilize nerve cells, and it's usually used synergistically with vitamin B6 (I got prescribed that combo as adjuvant for temporal lobe epilepsy). However, it's rather overrated. You need a vitamin deficiency in the first place, and it's not very common in Western countries unless you're living on the street and eat only scraps of potatoes.

Calcium is also implicated in some mood problems (ie. PMS). However, finding any evidence on that is related to the fact that calcium is widely used in ion channels of nerve cells (so basic search terms find a lot of irrelevant information).

Thanks everybody.  I actually am on Inderal, which I use primarily for the somatic component of anxiety and the jitters from amphetamine use.  Didn't realize it was used for anger control as well, but that makes sense.  I could also see how it might cause depression, as it would essentially blunt the effects of SNRIs by reducing bioavailabilty of NE for reuptake, or in my case, MRIs like WB. 

The Mg+2 is definitely something that I am going to look into, as the Mg+2 in my multivitamin is only 5 % of the RDA and is a non-chelated form.  Same goes for the Zn+2.  All the other trace metals seem to be in well metabolized, organic formulations.

Again, thanks everybody for the suggestions.

Archived