CrazyBoards.org

My pdoc recently swapped out my pimozide (Orap) for fluphenazine (Proloxin) for my Tourette's syndrome.

While I was on pimozide, I gained 10.3 lb over the course of three weeks. I stopped taking it because it wasn't working, and because I read some pretty scary things about it.

When I stopped taking it, I lost 5.3 lb in a matter of a few days...

When I started fluphenazine just 6 days ago, I have now already gained 16.2 lb, and my appetite is ravenous (way more than it was when I was on pimozide).

Has anyone experienced this on fluphenazine? My pdoc said it wasn't supposed to do this, that is was supposed to be almost just like haloperidol (Haldol).

I'm starting to think I should just deal with my Tourette's on my own... I was having enough weight problems with the aripiprazole (Abilify) alone...

On 12/5/2018 at 3:53 PM, Butterflykisses said:

I took Prolixin for a long time for my SZA, it helped a little but gave me terrible tremors, I don't recall significant weight gain nor a huge appetite. 

Sorry to hear that about the tremors.

It's really working very well for my tics, actually, in conjunction with the Abilify.

I lowered my Dexedrine dose temporarily to take a "pseudo-drug holiday" and will eventually raise it back up again so it will be more efficacious, but surprisingly, my appetite has decreased a little since lowering it. Not sure why... I think it might actually be psychological, rather than being associated with the Prolixin. I guess I just assumed it was the Prolixin because the weight just suddenly came on (and a lot of it!) when I started it.

Thanks for your response!