CrazyBoards.org

Oversleeping and Hypersomnia

I sleep much too much, and I'm depressed so sometimes I go back to sleep.

At least 12 hours a day now and I think it's really having a negative effect on my mental health.

Let me ask this, does oversleeping cause your mood to go apathetic?   Does anyone else experience this?

6 minutes ago, BrianOCD said:

I sleep much too much, and I'm depressed so sometimes I go back to sleep.

At least 12 hours a day now and I think it's really having a negative effect on my mental health.

Let me ask this, does oversleeping cause your mood to go apathetic?   Does anyone else experience this?

Depressed moods usually cause hypersomnia for me. Hypersomnia doesn't cause my mood to get apathetic or depressed. Perhaps sleeping those hrs is preventing you from doing activities like working out or..well i have no idea what the hell people like doing, but whatever those are.

Hypersomnia for me, when not in a mood episode, is usually after a period of insomnia and i'm just crashing hard.

• Thanks 1

I kno that if my sleep cycle is disturbed to a large degree by hypersomnia it gets progressively harder to overcome, which means a motivation, energy, and possible mood clash. Usually this is somewhat reversible when I manage to right the ship. One method doc and I worked out was to try and set a wake up time, and then start to gradually move the time earlier in small (like 15) minute increments over time as if titrating a medicine. This strategy can be very effective in the long term because it can cause sustained reduction of hypersomnia, instead of resorting to extremes like sleep deprivation techniques. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

I kno that if my sleep cycle is disturbed to a large degree by hypersomnia it gets progressively harder to overcome, which means a motivation, energy, and possible mood clash. Usually this is somewhat reversible when I manage to right the ship. One method doc and I worked out was to try and set a wake up time, and then start to gradually move the time earlier in small (like 15) minute increments over time as if titrating a medicine. This strategy can be very effective in the long term because it can cause sustained reduction of hypersomnia, instead of resorting to extremes like sleep deprivation techniques. 

I'm considering the sleep deprivation move just because it's so bad right now

I know it helps mood a lot when I got 24 hours with no sleep

16 minutes ago, BrianOCD said:

I'm considering the sleep deprivation move just because it's so bad right now

I know it helps mood a lot when I got 24 hours with no sleep

Helps mood as in causes elevated mood (over baseline)? Or more like evens it out and not overcorrects?

The last time that inadvertently happened for me, it sort of triggered a mild depressive episode that then turned into a good week or so where I ended up sleeping anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hrs/night with zero to maybe a 30 min nap during the day. Looking back on that, it was a bit concerning as I wasn't tired at all that week, had lots of energy in fact and my mood was great...which is a bad thing as my therapist thinks that was some slight manic symptoms on my part.

I'd say my mood is elevated a bit above baseline during deprivation.

18 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

Yeah it can but my issue is (if I'm depressed) I sometimes crash hard after that and kinda restart the problem 

Ya, that the whole problem with it, is the next time you go to sleep you wake up depressed again anyways.

On 12/6/2018 at 9:31 PM, BrianOCD said:

I'd say my mood is elevated a bit above baseline during deprivation.

There is a scientific reason why sleep deprivation elevates mood:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-sleep-deprivation-eases-depression/

Interesting article.....

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

There is a scientific reason why sleep deprivation elevates mood:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-sleep-deprivation-eases-depression/

Interesting article.....

I actually did a little sleep deprivation over the last couple days.

It does put me in a better mood, but it also brings my anxiety back...

Idk wtf I should do....I oversleep it's depression, and undersleep it's anxiety...