CrazyBoards.org

ananke

Brexit: who even knows at this point

Guys it's ok, Uri Geller is mind controlling Theresa May to stop this whole mess!

How the hell are we gonna explain this to the next generations

• Like 1

Wtf did the idiots get us in too.

people just did not understand what the EU is. or the importance of extra shit not hitting the fan in Northern Ireland. 

• Like 1

Agreed, I think a lot of these problems are years of ignorance into our relationship with the EU. I suspect mostly because it's dry as hell and very bureaucratic, but still necessary. 

Very difficult to hear Irish/Northern Irish concerns all the way over in Westminster ?that is, unless you depend on a few of them because you lost your majority. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, helenllama said:

Wtf did the idiots get us in too.

people just did not understand what the EU is. or the importance of extra shit not hitting the fan in Northern Ireland. 

I can't say I knew much about the EU before the referendum, though I knew that the thing about bendy bananas was a myth. I remember seeing someone on the news mentioning bendy bananas as a reason to leave the EU. I want to remain now but I was open minded at the time. The European Union certainly has it's faults, so I was looking forward to an intelligent discussion of the pros and cons of staying in. That didn't happen. Immigrants and bullshit on buses. There's a bit more to it than that isn't there? Northern Ireland was never discussed. I think we're all better informed now. Parliament can vote on the same deal multiple times but a second referendum would be undemocratic apparently.

I liked the quote from Trudy Harrison, a Tory MP.

‘We were just discussing in my office how we would describe the current situation, and using good old Cumbrian terminology we were really torn between whether it’s a pig’s ear, a dog’s dinner or a cat’s arse’

The revoke article 50 petition is heading for the 5 million mark. You'd hope that'd make some difference, and I've signed it, but the debate seems to be largely between different factions in the Conservative party. Jeremy Corbyn wants an election while having nothing much to say about the most important issue of the day. He'd do it better somehow or other, though nobody really knows where he stands. He has his fan club but my opinion of the the guy has been heading downwards for a long time. Labour always seemed like the party of equality and anti-prejudice, so I was suprised that anti-semitism could be a thing in the party, or even in this century. It's obviously a complex issue and there's much to discuss. Hating Jews, good or bad? Hmmm. Bad? Yeah I'm going to say bad. Did I win? Labour has always been more pro-Palestinian, which is fine, and there are definitely valid criticisms of the Israeli government, but anti-semitism shouldn't be tolerated.

Well this is turning into a fucking essay.

On 3/22/2019 at 9:31 PM, ananke said:

Guys it's ok, Uri Geller is mind controlling Theresa May to stop this whole mess!

How the hell are we gonna explain this to the next generations

"Three years before you became prime minister, I predicted your victory when I showed you Winston Churchill’s spoon on my Cadillac, which I asked you to touch."

Yeah as if things weren't fucking insane enough already - here's Uri Geller's thoughts on Brexit. He can bend spoons so we should obviously take his opinion seriously. Shittest superpower ever. I want to see him in the next Avengers movie.

Labour have even worse PR than the Tories right now, and that is saying a lot. I thought anti-semitism being called out in the party was handled pretty terribly. If you call yourself the party of compassion, er... be compassionate? Not saying it isn't complicated but ffs, don't react to a bunch of MP's leaving the party citing antisemitism by saying you will 'crush them' in the polls. It's truly amazing that they are looking at a gift horse in the mouth. The Conservatives have never been so divided and fractious. But you know, gotta push for a general election ?

(Still a Lab voter and will probably continue to be so, but some of this shit is b-ay-yana-yana-yanas)

51 minutes ago, Fluent In Silence said:

He can bend spoons so we should obviously take his opinion seriously.

Look May might be about to be ousted and in these times you might have just insulted the future king. All hail the spoon.

And I still don't know all that much about the EU other than that I'm glad we can't eat chlorinated chicken

8 hours ago, ananke said:

Labour have even worse PR than the Tories right now, and that is saying a lot. I thought anti-semitism being called out in the party was handled pretty terribly. If you call yourself the party of compassion, er... be compassionate? Not saying it isn't complicated but ffs, don't react to a bunch of MP's leaving the party citing antisemitism by saying you will 'crush them' in the polls. It's truly amazing that they are looking at a gift horse in the mouth. The Conservatives have never been so divided and fractious. But you know, gotta push for a general election ?

(Still a Lab voter and will probably continue to be so, but some of this shit is b-ay-yana-yana-yanas)

Look May might be about to be ousted and in these times you might have just insulted the future king. All hail the spoon.

And I still don't know all that much about the EU other than that I'm glad we can't eat chlorinated chicken

Or that High Fructose Corn Syrup/Glucose-Fructose Syrup is quota'd. 

I just don't want a return of a certain terrorist group, that has already allegedly returned in a small way, because the Good Friday Agreement has failed. 

But if you want to save it, you don't cosy up to the DUP, who don't want it. 

Counting down the days till Scotland goes and then joins EFTA/EEA. 

Definitely cannot organise a piss up in a distillery let alone a brewery.  But I love the SNP MEP’s speech today in Strasbourg “Leave the light on so we can find our way home”  

All you need to know about the votes on various brexits this evening

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Brexit means Brexit. Brexit means Theresa May's deal, or a customs union, or something like Canada, or Norway plus, or a hard Brexit, or common market 2.0, or EEA/Efta without a customs union (whatever that is). But probably none of these things because there's no majority in parliament for any of them. So Brexit means... erm chaos? But the people have spoken. Nobody knows exactly what they said but it's the responsibilitly of politicians to deliver on it, and they should just get on with it. 'It' being the most important political change in our lifetime rather than a child who won't put their shoes on even though they were told to ten minutes ago and mummy's waiting to leave (based on a true story). Get on with it!

There are good arguments against being in the EU, as well as good ones for remaining. I think that the good outweighs the bad. Most Brexiteers do seem to be just angry and stupid. Shout louder Bubba! It makes you sound more intelligent! 'Treason! Traitors!' Oh calm the fuck down dear. The pro-Brexit march today attracted extreme right-wingers like Tommy Robinson and The Democratic Football Lads Alliance. The what now? I've heard of these people before and what the fuck sort of name is that anyway? Democratic Football Lads Alliance? Was it set up by children who escaped from a 1950's comic book or something - We play to win, and put in hard tackles to defend against the threat of the Commies! How did those words ever come together? Most of their democratic feelings seem to be directed towards hatred of muslims.

All very depressing, and I feel the need to watch this video of a few EDL marchers being chased out of Liverpool by thousands of protesters, to the sound of the Benny Hill theme tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RX43xpy90k

Oh yes, this quote from a cabinet minister who was asked why Theresa was going ahead wiht a vote she knew she's lose - “Fuck knows. I’m past caring. It’s like the living dead in here.”

Edited by Fluent In Silence
  • Like 2

Have you guys ever had food poisoning, passed out after a shower and woke up naked as a babe on your bathroom floor with a lump on your head? Because I was more lucid, dignified and charismatic then, post head injury and pre diarrhoea, than Theresa May is right now. Probably less full of shit too.

At this point I'm detached enough to admit it's extremely funny that she can't even resign because she did so badly. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1