CrazyBoards.org
ananke

Brexit: who even knows at this point

Durex dogs

On 6/25/2019 at 6:48 AM, ananke said:

I do think he is genuinely racist/homophobic, but he genuinely thinks that since he isn't committing hate crimes it's all just lads being lads right. 

Yeah I was probably wrong saying that. I guess what I meant was that such views aren't at the core of his political agenda, because the idiot doesn't really have one. But someone who'd say such things doesn't care about people who are gay or from a different race or religion, which does make him a racist/homophobic prick. Though I think Boris is mainly in it for Boris. He was a liberal when he ran for London mayor and now he's playing dog whistle politics talking about muslim women looking like letterboxes. He tries to come across as genuine and honest - someone who tells it like it is. When they say that someone's 'telling it like it is' it does tend to be something bigoted and idiotic. The guy's the worst sort of unscrupulous career politician and fake personality that many people despise. Despite the haircut he still looks like a muppet who was rejected because he frightened children, and he still sounds like a dickhead. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

@ananke @Fluent In Silence You guys are much more well-informed with Brexit (I'm not an EU citizen, but Brexit will effect me in my situation).Seems "nobody" really knows what exactly will happen but what are the next milestone dates for moving towards actions? I've heard October 2019 some decisions are announced? I want to know how it will effect movement & hiring of foreigners (US citizens) that are not already established in UK, will employers completely restrict this? What about EU citizens wanting to move to UK? At moment, there are already a ton of restrictions with employer visa sponsorship, so I'm wondering if it will become nearly impossible for non-UK people to get jobs, visas and obtain residence (I assume this is part of the point of it - for them to keep "undesirables" out). Are there are any options?

Edited by Blahblah

Posted (edited)

100%. There are Tories who think they are doing the old fashioned thing and thats the right way, or there are Tories who'd kill their own grandmother to be in power. BJ is the latter. That is, if he even has a grandmother. He's being very cagey about his family.

Blah, wish I could tell you. I'm so out of the loop I forgot about the Brexit 'deadline' in April. I can tell you that, since the government has a nice holiday for August, the chances of having a deal in place by the next deadline are zilch. Not only will the new leader have a months break, but they'll have to assemble a cabinet and create a new deal and discuss it with the EU... Put it this way, I've heard people who's employers have only prepared for no deal. Remaining or a deal are not realistic anymore. If it's Boris, consider it a given.

The best I know, without a deal that explicitly protects free movement for EU nationals (about as likely as a cure for cancer) then EU citizens will be treated like everyone else. Which is to say, you'll need to go through the visa process etc. Honestly though I doubt the Home Office cares about Americans, it's refugees and Commonwealth citizens they don't want (you know, people who really deserve a home here but 😕). I don't know about employers. Some have already picked up sticks and moved on (fucking Dyson bastards) and more are likely to do so in the event of no deal. Why stay behind and cope with the paperwork, cheaper in the long run to go elsewhere. 

This entire fiasco is going to make a handful of people very rich and very important. Luckily some of them are politicians, so we know they have our best interests at heart.

EDIT: reread this and I accidentally insinuated there's a right way to be a Tory- what I meant to say was there's the old guard who refuse to modernise because they think they're right.

Edited by ananke

Are you planning on coming over here and taking our jerbs Blahblah? Or maybe you're a refugee fleeing Trump? Understandable though I don't think our leaders are quite sane at the moment either. Whatever happens I doubt if it will affect Americans wanting to enter the country. However or whenever we leave the EU we'll be desperate for a trade deal with the US, so there's not going to be any obstacles due to whatever happens with Brexit. It's mostly people with funny accents that we want to keep out (apparently). They come over here with their work ethic and their good English and what do they do for us? Sure we rely on them to keep the NHS running, and we have a much better choice of food than we used to, and we wouldn't have won The Battle of Britain without the help of Polish pilots, and peace in Northern Ireland probably owes a lot to being part of the EU and having an open border, but besides that what have they ever done for us?

October 31 is the new deadline to leave the EU. We were meant to have left by now but we haven't worked out how to do it yet. Got to love their sense of humour for making it Halloween. A 'no deal Brexit' has been mentioned from the start. If those Euros don't give us the deal we want then we'll just leave, ripping up all our economic and social ties with Europe and descending into a Mad Max like dystopia. Which is a bit like holding yourself hostage and threatening to shoot yourself in the head if your demands aren't met. The EU probably thought that we'd never be stupid enough to do such a thing and that any such threat would be a bluff which just illustrated how weak our negotiating position is. But, our next Prime Minister is likely going to be someone whose lies got us into this mess and probably is stupid enough to leave without a deal.

Sorry about the lecture, but I agree with ananke that it won't make any difference for Americans who want to come over here and steal out jerbs. Our jerbs! Jerbs! They derkadurbs!

• Like 2

The other problem is the Parliament (Westmonster) is sovereign over the Government so Parliament is constantly passing motions to remove the option of No Deal.  

Also No Deal and The Good Friday Agreement are not exactly compatible.

Goodbye rUK, you got us into this mess, and then gave the world a muppet to represent us, we are offski, Scotland and Northern Ireland

• Like 1

Oh Boris! Dude! It wasn't unexpected but when I heard that BJ had won I googled "New Zealand UK emigrate". I'll learn the haka and everything. God his speech was rubbish wasn't it? The lame dude joke and the stuff about not being daunted. There are similarities and differences with Trump - fat privileged white guy with weird hair - but one of the things they have in common is that people listen to him and some think "What a brilliant and charismatic leader! He's talking so much sense and he's going to do the right thing for our country." Other people look at Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson or Trump and see a fucking clown who talks complete shite and is underqualified to be a car park attendant let alone leader of their country.

He's going to solve all our problems though. He's going to sort Brexit, fix the care crisis, save the environment, bring about world peace, cure cancer and find the Loch Ness monster. No specific details yet but I'm sure that he has a plan because when has he ever let anyone down? He's going to make Britain Great again. He didn't use those word exactlys but he pretty much said as much.

Listening to him reminds me of that book 'The Secret' by Rhonda Byrne about the law of attraction, which I haven't read but have read about. As far as I understand it the universe will give you whatever you want as long as you think positive thoughts or some juvenile new age bullshit like that. International bestseller!? But Johnson's plan, such as it it, seems to be that if we all stay positive and think happy thoughts then everything will turn out fine. No need for detailed plans or well thought out policies, we just need the faith and confidence to go ahead with a course of action which might seem patently stupid and self-destructive but if we all dream happy dreams then we'll wake up in Neverland.

And it's not surprising that he thinks such a thing because he's fucked up so many times and has never been accused of having competence or intelligence, but he remained confident and positive despite all the evidence that he was usleless and inept. So of course he thinks that all you need is confidence and faith in order to succeed because he has fuck all else going for him and now he's Prime Minister. This charming man. Always sounded like a charmless dickhead to me. Dude!

lord pig himself finally got the job he always wanted. maybe if i fuck up enough and lie enough i too can be a big boy with lots of friends and money. mostly when i try that it gets me fired. the trick is- have the money and friends and then start lying. v important difference

im so glad that two (possibly more! too angry to google) world leaders got to their positions in spite of accusations of corruption, lying, racism, anti-lgbt sentiments and violence against women. what great role models.

if i hear the phrase 'hes the kind of guy i want to have a beer with again', im going to vomit

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ananke said:

if i hear the phrase 'hes the kind of guy i want to have a beer with again', im going to vomit

He's the kind of guy I want to vomit over.

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

He is the kind of guy that will kill the UK. 

But if you want to come to Scotland - welcome. 

ps - Posted this and then went to look at the news and NI is already simmering. The whole reason for the backstop was to prevent this and PM Muppet thinks no deal is a good idea. 

Edited by helenllama
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, helenllama said:

He is the kind of guy that will kill the UK. 

But if you want to come to Scotland - welcome. 

You're going to go indepedent and I don't blame you. If I lived in Scotland I'd vote for independence. The last vote failed but things have changed since then, and you didn't vote for whatever English dominated post-Brexit mess that occurs. Can I be Scottish? My surname is a mountain in Scotland so I'm probably Scottish somewhere down the line. I can't play the bagpipes, I'm not ginger, and I probably don't look good in a kilt, but I do drink excessively. Boris Johnson, that fucking bawbag!

• Haha 1

My parents lived on the Isle of Skye for a while, and I’m descended from the Hay and Wallace clans. And I’ve been out drinking in Edinbourgh. Can I come too?

I've found that the Mainstream Media, the news is always negative, even when it's a positive story lol

So even though I get sucked in sometimes, i try to avoid it.  Avoid social media like the plague as well.

6 hours ago, BrianOCD said:

I've found that the Mainstream Media, the news is always negative, even when it's a positive story lol

So even though I get sucked in sometimes, i try to avoid it.  Avoid social media like the plague as well.

This is not about the media.  Social or Mainstream Media. 

This is a real thing that effects peoples lives. I was on the verge of LEGALLY moving to Spain/Southern Europe. It is has had to stop just because of the Brexit uncertainty.  And the fact that come Brexit day I LOSE THE RIGHT to just up sticks and move (as long as I can support myself) to 26 other countries. 

This is about the UK Govt not trying to find the middle ground, compromise,  ripping up a 20 year old international peace treaty, just to do what they want. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BrianOCD said:

What a weird thing to say on a thread about a real world crisis? Like no doubt a lot of news is bad right now, but burying your head in the sand doesn't help much either. If a media break is working for you, great, but maybe this wasn't the thread to voice that

• Like 1

I've heard speculation that BJ could be on the spectrum.  Does anyone know i there's any truth to that at all?  I only mention it because the 

The first time I ever heard of the guy was when he was a guest on Top Gear, before it was common knowledge in the US that Clarkson is pretty deplorable himself.   The two of them remain mentally linked in my head, which has become more and more appropriate as I've learned more about each.  

I've been looking for ways to emmigrate to NZ from the US since the Bush years.  They don't want crazy people, nor does anywhere else with a public health care system.  

This is heartbreaking, because should the unspeakable/unthinkable happen and Trump be reelected in 2020, I had planned to seek asylum in Great Britain. Now it's going to have to be Norway or some other country where they eat bizarre things like fermented fish.

9 minutes ago, Velvet Elvis said:

I've heard speculation that BJ could be on the spectrum.

That, sir, is an affront to all of us on the Spectrum. I demand satisfaction. If you do not retract this vile slander, I will meet you in front of the Starbucks of your choice, for a duel of fisticuffs, with beverages to follow. Marquis of Queensbury rules, naturally.

This is currently the extent of my political sentiments. Pronouns may vary. Too tired for more nuanced discourse