CrazyBoards.org

ananke

Brexit: who even knows at this point

Posted (edited)

Just to clarify - the turd is named Barbara, or the skateboard is named Barbara? It’s an important distinction.

Your distaste for the bagpipes is undoubtedly due to your not having listened to them nearly enough. The nearest large town to me is Glasgow, Kentucky, and every year in June they hold the Glasgow Highland Games. (This is typical of America - co-opting foreign culture into an event and getting it half-wrong in the process: Glasgow, Scotland is in the Scottish lowlands.) This event features traditional Scottish highland sport such as tossing telephone poles end-over-end and flinging axes. They also have competitions in which professional and, yes, amateur bagpipers vie for honor rendering selections from the accepted bagpipe repertoire. As one who has attended the Highland Games several times and cultivated a keen appreciation of the skirl o’ the pipes, I can attest that the bagpipes do not sound in any way like a tortured cat - an absurd notion. They sound like a tortured goose. It leaves me personally quite conflicted in my conscience that I enjoy listening to them.

My entire ancestral lineage, going back generations, is purely British Isles - England, Ireland, Wales and Scotland. One of my great+grandmothers was Mary Gordon of Clan Gordon - that’s how she made sure to make herself known even after she came to America. My maternal grandfather, on his deathbed, wanted to listen to bagpipe music. In defense of my delight in the pipes, I can only claim genetics.

Edited by Cerberus

On 5/10/2020 at 1:51 AM, Cerberus said:

Just to clarify - the turd is named Barbara, or the skateboard is named Barbara? It’s an important distinction.

The turd was called Barbara of course! A skateboard called Barbara would just be ridiculous. 😆

On 5/10/2020 at 1:51 AM, Cerberus said:

In defense of my delight in the pipes, I can only claim genetics.

I think that's called amusia, which I think is the inability to comprehend music. Though to be fair I probably hate pan pipes even more, and I hate the fucking Black Eyed Peas more than anything. There are less musical things than bagpipes so they aren't the worst thing. But then other things which sound better than bagpipes include the noise an aardvark makes when giving birth so I'm never going to be a fan.

5 hours ago, Fluent In Silence said:

But then other things which sound better than bagpipes include the noise an aardvark makes when giving birth so I'm never going to be a fan.

That was particularly vivid...and if you’re familiar with that sound, I am very curious about how you’re living your life.

• Haha 1