CrazyBoards.org

What is this kind of violent "episode" called?

I can't find hide or hair about it on the internet anymore, but have it in house right now:

person gets violent (could be throwing things to destroy a room, attacking someone), then curls up in a ball and screams/cries for hours. Sleeps it off, remembers nothing.

It it positively terrifying to see (especially the first time). We were told they were "panic attacks." No they are not. I have had panic attacks and while I understand such attacks may "present differently", eg mine tend to be very internalized and I feel frozen (then I take Xanax and shower; usually happens when trying to wean self off Xanax), and others say they cry and feel like they can't breath and want to rush to ER; and doctors tend to say "panic attacks" last only 10-15 minutes and one can "push through" them and be fine (I disagree entirely), I have NEVER seen the "episodes" I'm trying to describe here.

I honestly don't know if people are "safe" around person. Person is far larger than I am, but not anyone else in household. ANYONE know what that kind of hours-long, horrific screaming/crying after violent outbursts is even called? (And why I can't find information about them on the internet anywhere?) Also, there seem to be no known triggers. I want best for person, but I can't even describe well what we're seeing. Wipes person out for the rest of the day, too. Next day is "fine", just no memory of previous day.

There are a number of things that could possibly cause this. I can't say for sure, but this person definitely needs help, both from a psychiatrist and possibly even a neurologist.

Does this person even acknowledge that they do this?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikl_pls said:

There are a number of things that could possibly cause this. I can't say for sure, but this person definitely needs help, both from a psychiatrist and possibly even a neurologist.

Does this person even acknowledge that they do this?

No. Not exactly. She had a neurologist after a car crash/concussion, but dumped the neurologist as soon as she reached 18 (legal adulthood). Police have been involved, but they hadn't seen anything like it either. Her dad refused to let her go to the hospital at the time, then he said she had to get counseling. She just finished some DBT expensive outpatient counseling, but it's unclear to anyone (friends, family, professors, etc) what she claimed her "problems" were. She's lost friends, and started drinking (underage) and driving earlier this year. Complete change of personality from nowhere.

None of us know what to call her "rage" episodes. We thought examples would be on YouTube, or even descriptions of such episodes (since they're too disturbing to show), but they're just not anywhere that we can find (except in much younger autistic children). However if anything, what we saw about autistic children says those kids "grow out of" the rage "tantrums"/episodes by the time they're young adults.

Thanks for replies. Didn't know where to put question. Her DBT group put her on Zoloft, but she quit taking it (loudly threw it in the garbage), and we know she asked for more tranquilizers (but we don't know where she ever got tranqs to begin with, except college possibly: on the street?).

1 hour ago, tre said:

None of us know what to call her "rage" episodes. We thought examples would be on YouTube, or even descriptions of such episodes (since they're too disturbing to show), but they're just not anywhere that we can find (except in much younger autistic children). However if anything, what we saw about autistic children says those kids "grow out of" the rage "tantrums"/episodes by the time they're young adults.

I had episodes of rage / uncontrollable emotions as a young adult. I would throw objects, scream, bang my head on the walls, and run impulsively into the street. Things like that. I remember all of it though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Juniper29 said:

I had episodes of rage / uncontrollable emotions as a young adult. I would throw objects, scream, bang my head on the walls, and run impulsively into the street. Things like that. I remember all of it though.

Thanks. (Sorry you suffered that, of course.)

Reminded me: person not only doesn't remember, but during such an episode, she seems to think she is somewhere else. It's the scariest thing I've ever seen.

My mother (RIP, before her time) was in a state facility for what turned out to be brain damage from an old accident, and had to be treated with thorazine and the like (the real tranqs); she was in the "criminally violent" section (treated like a queen! No complaints!). So I've seen some stuff. Good and bad, actually. I'd visit; talk to the docs. I was the only visitor, because it's sort of far off the beaten trail, so I visited a lot of people and would make a day of it. I've had lonely state pDocs and some nurses walking me through the "campus" talking about various things I knew nothing of. And I heard of some I wouldn't share because they're "self-harm" (unintentional, entirely) and very disturbing.

But this that's happening to person in house now, it is very new to me and everyone. And terrifying. I can't believe YouTube doesn't have anything (because I think a lot of those "see me have panic" or whatever ailment-type videos seem fake; like they're made up for views). Can't find anything on dot gov sites, either.

Here comes the moderator chiming in to remind folks that we are a first-person site. 

It's always ok to talk about your own experiences of someone else's behavior and how it affects you.

However, for lots of reasons one of the things we don't do here is to speculate about other people's internal experiences. 

Thanks for understanding.